Menu

Geography poll

In which region do you live?  

1. 1. In which region do you live?

• West - western CO, WY, MT, UT, CA, NV, ID, OR, WA, AK, HI
    • Southwest - western TX, parts of OK, NM, AZ, NV
    • Midwest - OH, MI, IN, WI, IL, MN, IO, parts of MO, ND, SD, KS, NE, eastern CO
    • South - VA, WY, KY, TN, NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, AR, LA, parts of MO, TX, OK
    • Middle Atlantic - NY, NJ, PA, DE, Washington DC, MD
    • Northeast - ME, NH, VT, MA, CT, RI
    • Canada or Greenland
    • Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean or South America
    • Europe, Africa or Middle East
    • Central Asia, Asia, Southeast Asia or Australia

You know, we Aussies don't exactly feel buddy-buddy with central Asia either. They're kind of far apart.

;)

Rosie

Ahh, perspective. Perspective. They're far apart to you, but not so far apart to me when I'm trying to fit all the regions in one poll.

I almost did two separate polls, one US and one worldwide. But I really wanted to get a feel for the board geographical breakdown in one poll. I suspected the majority of users are in the US, and since I was limited to 10 choices for the poll struggled with organizing the other regions. This was the best I could do.

Ahh, perspective. Perspective. Australia and Central Asia far apart to you, but not so far apart to me when I'm trying to fit all the regions in one poll.

I almost did two separate polls, one US and one worldwide. But I really wanted to get a feel for the board geographical breakdown in one poll. I suspected the majority of users are in the US, and since I was limited to 10 choices for the poll struggled with organizing the other regions. This was the best I could do.

You'd better do another poll then ;) I want to know if anyone is in Central Asia!

:D

Rosie

I'm just comparing the 2008 Election Map with my unofficial survey of this board.

It looks like the strongest showing on this board is from states that were predominantly McCain votes.

So now I'm wondering about the stereotype about homeschoolers being christian conservatives. I guess the majority are. Do you disagree?

Stacey

Aha... I was wondering if there was something behind this! ;)

To answer your question, no. I do think the margin is narrowing since homeschooling is becoming more widely accepted. The greater the number of people who participate in hs'ing, the more diversified a group we have.

Aha... I was wondering if there was something behind this! ;)

To answer your question, no. I do think the margin is narrowing since homeschooling is becoming more widely accepted. The greater the number of people who participate in hs'ing, the more diversified a group we have.

When I originally posted this thread, I really was curious about the geographic breakdown of this board. I thought the majority would be in the States but, other than that, I didn't have any other expectations. I was surprised that one region did have a lot of numbers. Although, as some have pointed out, the source I used (USA Study Guide) for the geographical regions seemed to have a lot of states in the South when maybe they could've been placed elsewhere.

When I googled for maps to figure out the regions, some of the maps only had five regions and some had too many regions to fit into this poll. I'd also wanted to include those that were not located in the States, so I chose what I thought would be a detailed enough regional map for the States and then tried to include the rest of the regions without resorting to continents.

I actually printed out the election map Blue Hen (thanks, Blue Hen!) posted on the board and we were coloring as we watched the results. That's when I connected that map with this poll and ... just went "Hmmm ... I wonder."

So, there you have it. My rabbit trail. :tongue_smilie:

Stacey

Edited by Apiphobic

Midwest here.. IA

Oh, crud, another typo. Sorry.

Can I plead, in my defense, that I was rushing to get those choices in the poll? When you first enter your question and hit post, it's already up on the board before you type in your choices. Some people respond before you can get the choices listed. So I'm usually frantically trying to type in the choices just after entering the original post.

Sounds confusing. :001_smile: