Menu

How have you found a writing tutor?

Not sure of exactly what you are looking for but we have had great success with WriteatHome.com! Excellent feedback for the student in a positive and constructive fashion that builds confidence and skills. An added benefit is Mom "seeing" how the feedback is presented and learning THAT for future work. Have tried other online writing services and find WriteatHome.com to be the hands down best, imho.

Mary

something. The course descriptions note that in a nine week workshop, the high school student writes and completes (through several drafts) 2 essays. Is that all they do in nine weeks? I would prefer a course that includes more practice than only 2 essays in a nine week period.

something. The course descriptions note that in a nine week workshop, the high school student writes and completes (through several drafts) 2 essays. Is that all they do in nine weeks? I would prefer a course that includes more practice than only 2 essays in a nine week period.

Both of my dc took one of the writing workshops and they are structured differently than the classes (both yearlong and semester). They do focus on one thing (like fiction writing) and writing a complete story and going through the editing process several times to make it right. My son learned that his first copy can look very different from the finished product. It was a good learning experience for him. My dd took a different workshop, the essay workshop I believe, and it, too, was good for helping make a good essay great, really stand out.

We've been using their classes now for 3 years. I love WriteatHome and would highly recommend them. Their constructive feedback is wonderful. They don't just rip papers apart; they always find the parts that are good, too, and mention those. My ds, who does not take criticism well, flourishes in their classes and has become quite a good writer.

Just my $.02.

http://writingassessment.com/

Cindy is wonderful. My dd sent her some essays and Cindy corrected them, giving us insight and suggestions that I would never have been able to do. I highly recommend her. We've never taken her classes, but I sure do hear a lot of nice things about them.

Jean

there are many great online writing tutors, but we used Cindy Marsch last year with great success. My two older girls did 3 Progymnasmata tutorials with Cindy; one at the beginning level, and two at the intermediate level. I think she led my girls very carefully through proper editing, logical thinking and construction of a paper, etc. I also used her services to grade some of the essays my girls wrote for Omnibus II last year, and I used her personally to help me prepare for the two written sections on the GRE. She's highly recommended!