Menu

Mango vs. BYU IS for Reviewing 1st Semester CC Japanese

DD just finished 1st semester Japanese DE at our local CC. She squeaked out a B overall in the course but had only a 65% average on the vocabulary quizzes (had an 86% average on the more grammar-heavy exams). So she will definitely need something over the summer to solidify the material before taking 2nd semester in the fall (2nd semester is not offered over the summer and I'm dubious how ready she would be for it even if it were).

Any thoughts on Mango vs. BYU Independent Study? ETA: I'm not planning on listing whatever she does as a credit on her transcript but rather consider it review/enrichment.

Edited by Crimson Wife

Can she work back through her textbook from last semester? Her fall semester is likely to build upon that, so mastering that vocabulary would be important. Duolingo is supposed to release a Beta version of Japanese soon. (Release date was two weeks ago).

• Like 1

We were not too thrilled with BYU. Dd does love taking Japanese with Todd Godwin at CLRC. Duolingo has J now - at least fairly easy levels. If I were choosing between Mango and BYU it would probably have to be Mango. BYU didn't have enough direct instruction -- we signed up for the live instructor version and it was not what I thought we would get. Instead of an instructor we got access to a language lab with tutors.

• Like 1