Menu

Gift suggestions for a Bat Mitzvah

snowbeltmom

I would rather give a present rather than money, but I have no idea what is appropriate.  Is there such a thing as a traditional gift for this occasion?  This is for an extended family member on my husband's side of the family.  I am not Jewish, and my husband is clueless and no help. 

We've attended a couple of Bat Mitzvahs. My understanding is that in the Jewish tradition multiples of 18 are significant.

For an arty friend celebrating a bat mitzvah, we gave 18 quality Lyra art pencils. There is a set of 18 at this link.

For another young friend, we gave 18 candy bars.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1

Traditional non-monetary gifts are often Judaica (candlesticks, etc.) or Jewish books, but that doesn't really make sense if you yourself aren't Jewish.  As Kareni says, gifts in multiples of 18 are particularly favored, and most cash gifts will be $18, $36, etc.  

If you don't want to give money, then I would just get the girl something that you would normally give her as a birthday gift: book, art supplies, small piece of jewelry, something pertaining to her interests. etc.  It's fun for the kids to get some actual gifts, anyway, since all the money generally goes straight into the bank.  

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 3