Menu

PA Homeschool AP Eng Lit (Maya Inspektor) questions

This class looks very interesting and everyone seems to love the instructor.  

Am I correct in that there is no actual class meeting time during the week?  She just puts up assignments on a daily basis?  Several reviews mention that the students get together to talk - I assume online. :)  Does the class ever get together online in a chat room or video conference?  Does she do one on ones with the students?

Thanks!

Yael (getting started/panicking all day)

I know it seems odd at first that a class that does not have any live meeting times could come so highly recommended. Mrs. Inspektor sends out VERY detailed morning messages every day with responses required by the students (not EVERY day required a response, but most days did). Mrs. Inspektor gives wonderful feedback on assignments. Because she lives in Israel she is able to grade the students work while students in the US are sleeping. She also requires several book club assignments (students pick a book they would like to read from an approved list, fine 3-4 other students who would like to read the book, and discuss). Ds always liked to read, but HATED to write about literature. By the end of the school year he loved analyzing literature and scored a 5 on the exam. Mrs. Inspektor is so gifted in communicating her love of literature to the students, even though that communication is only in a written format and not live lectures.

• Like 6

Just a note on this, Yael - the class is full for the fall, so hopefully you are looking for 2018. The classes with good teachers fill up quickly (March/April for many of the AP Lit/Lang).

It doesn't say that for AP Eng Lit; the AP Eng Lang was full...

I hope I am right.

Thank you!

This class looks very interesting and everyone seems to love the instructor.

Am I correct in that there is no actual class meeting time during the week? She just puts up assignments on a daily basis? Several reviews mention that the students get together to talk - I assume online. :) Does the class ever get together online in a chat room or video conference? Does she do one on ones with the students?

Thanks!

Yael (getting started/panicking all day)

The way I see it is that while there is no video lecture, there is a daily written lecture in the morning message. The student is often asked to respond to these messages, and they also contain information about bigger assignments, but the main point of most of the morning messages is to instruct the students.

Mrs. Inspektor does respond, in depth, to individual students by giving them feedback on their writing. However, that is all done on the website as well. The students post all their work on the website for the teacher and other students to see and the teacher responds to it all there as well.

Smaller book discussion groups are formed multiple times throughout the year and the students in these groups meet, though it may or may not be face-to-face or even in real time. The students decide how they want to do it. Most of my dd's groups conducted their discussions through chat interfaces.

Edited by OnMyOwn
  • Like 1