Menu

Thinning hair and PCOS

mom31257

DD has tested for a mild form of PCOS. Her full thyroid panel was good. Her A1C was 5.3. Her testosterone was fine, too, so it was mainly androgens that were off. I think that's the word. 

The doctor is suggesting spironolactone for the hair loss. Does anyone have experience with this drug? Did it help?

Dd doesn't think she wants to take birth control pills. She's already a little overweight and worries she'll gain more. Her periods are a little irregular and a little heavy at the beginning, but not terrible.

She's starting nursing classes in the fall, and I'm worried she's going to be even more stressed, eat worse, sleep less, etc. 

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Edited by mom31257

I have male pattern baldness due to pcos and high androgens. It took me 10 freaking years to find a solution. Finally, my derm causally said "have you tried rogain?" On her advice, I use the men's version once a day despite all the warnings on the box. It really, really helps. I've used it through 2 pregnancies and nursed both babies a total of 4 years on it. You have to use it forever or your hair loss will start again. And start sooner rather than later, the damage done over time can't be reversed.

I hope someone with spiro experience will chime in, I want to know more.

Also, check the websites Women's Hair Loss Project and SoulCysters.

Also, (been dealing with this for so long, I could write a novel) my sister (who is overweight) is greatly helped by BC pills. Her hair really fills in on the pill. I'm too old to safely take the pill or I'd try it.

Does this have any adverse side effects that you have experienced?  I avoided it for fear of adverse effects and use Nioxin instead, but I am wondering about your experience.

I have male pattern baldness due to pcos and high androgens. It took me 10 freaking years to find a solution. Finally, my derm causally said "have you tried rogain?" On her advice, I use the men's version once a day despite all the warnings on the box. It really, really helps. I've used it through 2 pregnancies and nursed both babies a total of 4 years on it. You have to use it forever or your hair loss will start again. And start sooner rather than later, the damage done over time can't be reversed.

Does this have any adverse side effects that you have experienced? I avoided it for fear of adverse effects and use Nioxin instead, but I am wondering about your experience.

I have seen zero negative reactions. I guess it could slowly be giving me brain cancer but I've not noticed anything.

ETA-it takes awhile to start working and it isn't a cure. I do get depressed when I think about using it everyday, forever, but that's life.

Edited by Moxie
  • Like 1

I have a relatively mild form as well. Some hair thinning, mostly up top, and use Spiro in conjunction with Biotin supplements. My hair will never be as thick as it was when I was younger but I have no bald spots and it's all healthy. Spiro is a mild diuretic so it helps reduce salt absorption for me too. It makes the hairs on my chin grow more slowly, and reduces my bloating (which sucks!!). I don't have many chin hairs left thanks to electrolysis tho. My sister, who refused to believe it would ever be a problem for her, waited too long and has what would be a beard if she let it grow. Don't delay like that!! For me, the really bad effects of PCOS didn't occur until my early 20s. It was at that point that my body went haywire. If I had it to do over, I would treat it much more aggressively, much earlier on, with metformin. I wasn't diagnosed until nearly 30.

Edited by Sneezyone

Another way to treat would be toward the root cause of PCOS, insulin resistance (low carb and/or metformin)

Supplements to look at for hair growth generally: sulfur (MSM, methylsulfonylmethane) or biotin

Yes, someone with pcos should really be on a very low-carb diet and look into metformin. But those two things never helped my hair issue. Womp womp.

Be careful with biotin if you are acne prone. I've also heard that it can increase facial hair.

Sigh, there isn't one perfect answer, she just needs to try things and see what helps. Keep a journal of when she starts/stops a new treatment.

Yes, someone with pcos should really be on a very low-carb diet and look into metformin. But those two things never helped my hair issue. Womp womp.

Be careful with biotin if you are acne prone. I've also heard that it can increase facial hair.

Sigh, there isn't one perfect answer, she just needs to try things and see what helps. Keep a journal of when she starts/stops a new treatment.

I haven't noticed any increase in facial hair or acne from Biotin. It just helps to keep the hair on my head from falling out. I did try laser at one point and that, for sure, increased my facial hair.

I haven't noticed any increase in facial hair or acne from Biotin. It just helps to keep the hair on my head from falling out. I did try laser at one point and that, for sure, increased my facial hair.

What kind of laser? I've had laser hair removal and I've been happy with it (took forever).

What kind of laser? I've had laser hair removal and I've been happy with it (took forever).

No clue. I know everytime I went they freaked out because they didn't know (or care to learn) how to treat brown skin. I switched to electrolysis and never looked back. 

I tried spironolactone years ago for my PCOS, and it dropped my blood pressure too low to the point that I was having some really awful side effects. If you start out with normal or below normal BP, spiro can lower it too much.

I've had the best luck with a combination of Metformin and a low carb diet.

• Like 1

I take 50mg spironolactone and 500mg metformin for pcos.  

I already have a fairly lowish (but still normal range) blood pressure. I have had trouble with the spiro dropping it even lower to the point I can really feel it. The doctor has told me I can alternate a 1/2 pill with a whole every other day if it continues to be a problem. Most of the time I tolerate it pretty well. I also have a vestibular imbalance so dizziness is common for me. I think the spiro increases the frequency of dizzy spells though. But, the good thing is that spiro has actually stopped the weird migraines that I was having. The doctor says he has used it for that purpose before in women who seem to have hormone induced headaches.

I still have problems with excess facial hair, but it is a little slower growing now. I have to use a spring every other to every 2 days to remove hairs from under my chin and once a week for the lip area. Even though they are very blond and you can't see them, I detest feeling them there.

I can't speak to the hair thinning issue. I have always had fine hair (but enough of it) so I can't help there, sorry. 

Dd doesn't have excess hair anywhere, but I definitely have more facial hair as I got closer to menopause and am now two years since my last period. Is it possible I had a mild form of PCOS and never knew it? I didn't get pregnant super easily (took 2.5 years with dd and 1 year with ds). 

If it were my daughter, in addition to addressing it with diet, I'd start doing things to support her endocrine system, specifically the adrenals, as this is an endocrine system issue.  Gaia makes a pretty good adrenal support supplement.  I'd also make sure she's taking a liquid calcium/magnesium supplement.  Our family uses Young Living products as part of our wellness support so I would also add a few of those products. 

She's making a good call not using the bcp.  That may disrupt her hormones even more and hinder the healing process.

Dd doesn't have excess hair anywhere, but I definitely have more facial hair as I got closer to menopause and am now two years since my last period. Is it possible I had a mild form of PCOS and never knew it? I didn't get pregnant super easily (took 2.5 years with dd and 1 year with ds). 

Perhaps.  Or just a hormone imbalance. 

Any diet advice is helpful, too! She will be home until mid-August and returns to school in TN. She'll live on campus. She has a small refrigerator and microwave. The dorm has a kitchen on another floor. She begins nursing classes this fall, so her stress level will be high for the next 2.5 years for sure. 

The campus has the cafeteria, Subway, Einstein Bagel, and Chick-Fil-A. I know she eats a lot of sandwiches because she doesn't like the cafeteria food. She tries to choose sandwiches with lots of veggies, though. She is considering going off the meal plan because there is a food pantry on campus for students who aren't on the plan. Local stores donate food. She actually thinks she can eat healthier off the plan.

I think there are two days she doesn't even have a lunch break. Maybe she could take packages of nuts to snack on in between? Her dorm is not super close to the nursing building. 

- No caffeine!
- Healthy fats!!!!  As much as she can get!  
- Antioxidant rich foods

- Fruits and veggies!!!  Raw and fresh is best. 

- Himalayan pink salt, not white iodized salt.  She might also look into using Sole water daily to help supplement with those minerals from the salt. 
- No processed junk.

So if she wants to do a sandwich, load it up with veggies and avocado!  But I'd also suggest she consider going gluten-free and see how she feels. 

If she needs help with meal ideas, I recommend looking into Whole30 recipes.  They are going to be processed-food free, gluten free, sugar free, etc.  Whole foods and good nutrition!

Yes, she should pack a nutrient-rich snack for sure on those days she's going to be busy. 

She's going to have to learn to manage her stress (don't we all???  ;) ) as well.  Things like exercising (aside from those walks across campus), taking breaks to let her mind/body rest, giving herself an afternoon or a day off during the week, etc.  Maybe the fitness facility on campus offers a yoga class?