Menu

The Good and the Beautiful LA level 4--has anyone used this?

jkl

I'm using level 2 for sure next year for my 8 year old, and I like the looks of it for my 11 year old, but he placed in level  4.  We have been using Climbing to Good English and Spelling Workout (5th grade levels) this year, but he is really retaining nothing.  I think he would really like this this curriculum, but I'm worried about it being way too light for a 6th grader.  Can anyone comment on level 4, what age you are using this level for and if you supplement.  Thanks!

It is too light if used alone for a sixth grader, yes. But you have to start somewhere. I would set an accelerated course OR with each topic go deeper.

The problem I see is not that you have a sixth grader testing into fourth grade (I know they are saying levels, but it's square on the nose fourth grade level work) ... But rather that because it is an all in one, you might find that you're working TWO levels behind your students ability in one or more areas of study. So even if its vocab is where your student is, maybe his grammar could be pushed up ykwim?

If your ideal includes just being easy breezy, then this doesn't apply. But from the op it sounds like you're concerned that he hasn't retained what he's done in CTGE. If that is the case, I think getting to the heart of the issue is going to serve better than just dropping down a level in an all in one curricula where you're not necessarily working on the core issue he's struggling with, while possibly simultaneously giving too easy work in other areas.

As a more general comment, level four is lovely. My son especially likes the variety of activities. But while some of the art is new to him, there's nothing in the la that he didn't see (and understand) previously used programs meant for third grade or round abouts.

I am learning all I can about TG&TB too, so I can't answer your question, but there are some people on the FB group have used this level. If you don't get an answer here, you may want to try there. 

Thanks!  Just asked there. :)

It is too light if used alone for a sixth grader, yes. But you have to start somewhere. I would set an accelerated course OR with each topic go deeper.

The problem I see is not that you have a sixth grader testing into fourth grade (I know they are saying levels, but it's square on the nose fourth grade level work) ... But rather that because it is an all in one, you might find that you're working TWO levels behind your students ability in one or more areas of study. So even if its vocab is where your student is, maybe his grammar could be pushed up ykwim?

If your ideal includes just being easy breezy, then this doesn't apply. But from the op it sounds like you're concerned that he hasn't retained what he's done in CTGE. If that is the case, I think getting to the heart of the issue is going to serve better than just dropping down a level in an all in one curricula where you're not necessarily working on the core issue he's struggling with, while possibly simultaneously giving too easy work in other areas.

As a more general comment, level four is lovely. My son especially likes the variety of activities. But while some of the art is new to him, there's nothing in the la that he didn't see (and understand) previously used programs meant for third grade or round abouts.

Thanks for your input.  Yes, it was the grammar that placed him in level (grade??  Please, let's say levels!) 4.  TG&TB just appeals to me because it is so open-and-go, and I am tired! :)  But I see your point.  I think what I really need is a spiral grammar for this kid.

Since Level 4 is free & you can see the full curriculum, what do you think of it? Do you think it wIll challenge your child? Does it seem too light when you're looking over it? If yes ,I'd go with your instinct in lieu of the assessment. You can always use Level 5 or 6, they'll be out in June & August. If you do feel Level 4 is appropriate, however, just do multiple lessons in one day when they're easier & slow down when they're more difficult. Like a previous poster said, just supplement in subject areas as needed.😊

Thanks for your input. Yes, it was the grammar that placed him in level (grade?? Please, let's say levels!) 4. TG&TB just appeals to me because it is so open-and-go, and I am tired! :) But I see your point. I think what I really need is a spiral grammar for this kid.

Do you think he's at that same level with spelling, composition, geography and reading/lit too?

I have one in 2nd grade too and I do add in extra spelling (using G&B lists) practice and grammar drill for him, or he forgets.

So it can be done. But that's one thing when you're on target and another when you're behind. Last year I had to stop the presses for my oldest to get his writing up to speed. We had reached an impasse because he wasn't going to get anywhere without addressing his compositions.

Since Level 4 is free & you can see the full curriculum, what do you think of it? Do you think it wIll challenge your child? Does it seem too light when you're looking over it? If yes ,I'd go with your instinct in lieu of the assessment. You can always use Level 5 or 6, they'll be out in June & August. If you do feel Level 4 is appropriate, however, just do multiple lessons in one day when they're easier & slow down when they're more difficult. Like a previous poster said, just supplement in subject areas as needed.😊

I think it was just revised. So the free PDF isn't the current level 4. I very well may be off base here though.

I am using Level 4 with my 5th grader this spring since he finished early with Climbing to Good English 5 and I did not want to start next level of Climbing to Good English. He is flying through it. By that I mean many days he will do 2, sometimes even 3 lessons a day and be done in an hour, maybe; so he probably be done with everything in about 3.5 months, if that.  That being said, we have used Climbing to Good English level 1-5 so far, and this child is naturally a very good speller if that makes any difference. We are also entertaining the idea of doing a combination of Good and Beautiful English level 6 and Essentials in writing level 6 to give him some variation since CTGE level 5 and 6 is pretty much the same material just a bit harder at level 6. 

My soon to be 4th grader placed in the 3rd level.  He is strong in LA.  When I gave him the placement test, he did great on the reading section and terrible on the grammar.  Basically, I haven't taught him dependent/independent clauses.  He said, "Give me a chance in level 4!  Just teach what a clause is!!  We have ALL summer!" LOL

I am starting him in level 4. We will briefly remediate what he needs.