Menu

CWP to go with CLE math

CTVKath

Has anyone used CWP - Challenging Word Problems to go along with CLE Math? Do they go along together grade for grade? I have a vague memory of people talking about using one grade lower of CWP to go with with the current level of CLE.

Thanks so much.

If your student needs more explicit instruction, I would suggest Fan Math's Process Skills in Problem Solving instead of CWP. CWP does not have instruction which can be an issue for users unfamiliar with Singapore Style word problems. 

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1

If your student needs more explicit instruction, I would suggest Fan Math's Process Skills in Problem Solving instead of CWP. CWP does not have instruction which can be an issue for users unfamiliar with Singapore Style word problems. 

I second Fan Math with CLE especially if they have not been exposed to Singapore word problems.

I, too, recommend FAN math over CWP. FAN math has explicit instruction in how to think through and solve the problems. It also has full solutions to all problems. It's superior to CWP for both those reasons in my experience with both. They are also smaller books, which make them nice as a supplement to another program (along with the actual instruction, no assumption you have learned how to do such problems using Singapore prior). 

In my experience in later grades, CLE levels lined up very well with Singapore in scope/content. However, the sequence of instruction in CLE is very different--some things covered in 1st semester 5th grade Singapore sequence were covered in the later part of 500 level CLE. Similarly, things we hadn't yet seen in Singapore 5th grade were covered very early in the year in CLE 500. So a level behind may also be a good idea with FAN math if you decide to try it instead of CWP.