Menu

Mystery Science sale

Oh, I thought this site was free!

We have the free membership, but there are still certain mysteries that are locked and only available with the paid membership.

I'm debating the purchase. We loved the mysteries we have done, but I pick and choose based on my two 7 year olds' interests which left out quite a few. I need to look at it again and see if the locked topics look interesting enough for us to purchase. They are supposed to be adding new mysteries soon, I believe?

I'm on a FB group for Mystery Science, and here was the response to that question from the company:

These are great questions. Our historical pace has been to add about 3 new Mysteries every 6-8 weeks or so.I would expect at least 20 new Mysteries during the 2017-18 school year. We are actively exploring ways of increasing our production speed through hiring and making some changes to our production process. We are also planning to experiment with new forms of instructional materials that will compliment the core Mysteries. Re: what grade levels - the tentative plan is to add new K & 1 Mysteries this summer, add new engineering Mysteries to grades 2,3 and 5 in the fall and then add new grade 5 and grade 2 Mysteries in the spring. We are releasing new grade 4 Mysteries this month. I hope that gives you enough of a sense of our plans as they stand now 

• Like 4

I'm on a FB group for Mystery Science, and here was the response to that question from the company:

I actually had a paid subscription this year.  There is no way they added over 20 mysteries last school year.  The ones they added were mostly for younger kiddos.

I am reluctant to trust this company because of the way they advertised their "free" memberships. They advertised limited time free memberships with no indicating that they were limited in any other way. I signed up for my free membership, waited about a week to access it because I wouldn't let them spam my friends, and then discovered the free membership came with several topics locked. I could pay $69 to get a full membership, never having seen the possibility of buying anything when I signed up for the free membership. Icky marketing.

We have the free membership, but there are still certain mysteries that are locked and only available with the paid membership.

I'm debating the purchase. We loved the mysteries we have done, but I pick and choose based on my two 7 year olds' interests which left out quite a few. I need to look at it again and see if the locked topics look interesting enough for us to purchase. They are supposed to be adding new mysteries soon, I believe?

I am reluctant to trust this company because of the way they advertised their "free" memberships. They advertised limited time free memberships with no indicating that they were limited in any other way. I signed up for my free membership, waited about a week to access it because I wouldn't let them spam my friends, and then discovered the free membership came with several topics locked. I could pay $69 to get a full membership, never having seen the possibility of buying anything when I signed up for the free membership. Icky marketing.

So I am wondering how you know that some are locked? I am sitting here planning for next year and thus far do not see any locked mysteries. But I don't want to plan for something then go ahead to find it unusable mid year iykwim!

I just got the free account recently (like maybe beginning of May), so will some lock after a period of time?? Did you get your free account directly from the website? or from a referral?

Is there a symbol on that mystery that is locked that I should look for while planning?

Some mysteries have a lock symbol on them, so they cannot be accessed with the free subscription.  (See image below.)

Thanks! Hmm, none of the mysteries have that for me, just checked. Weird the way some of you have locked and I don't. I didn't refer anyone or anything!

Some mysteries have a lock symbol on them, so they cannot be accessed with the free subscription.  (See image below.)

And...some of the main topics are unlocked, but maybe 2 of the 5 explorations are locked unless you have the paid membership.

Thanks! Hmm, none of the mysteries have that for me, just checked. Weird the way some of you have locked and I don't. I didn't refer anyone or anything!

I could be wrong, but as I understood it at the time I signed up, any new mysteries added after getting the free membership would be locked. So, I got the free membership the minute it was offered and have many locked. Perhaps those who are signing up for the free membership now can view those mysteries but no future mysteries?

My kids don't really care for Mystery Science (I know! They seem to be the only ones!); however, I was pleased with the free membership experience. At no point was I required to enter my credit card info or commit to being signed up unless I cancelled. I didn't have to enter lots of personal information. I have not gotten spammed by the company. I understood when I signed up for the free membership that it would be limited, and I'm very grateful that they had such an opportunity-- I have lost money in the past finding out that curricula or products don't work for us due to poor sample/return policies, and it is SO nice when companies realize this and have generous opportunities to try out curricula without commitment. I would definitely purchase it if my kids liked it (instead of something 2 x as pricey, drat!).

• Like 5