Menu

how much money

Elizabeth86

how much money would you expect in this situation. A coach for our tball team is having an end of season picnic for the kids. She has asked for a certain amount of money per kid to buy pizza, drinks and goody bags. She has asked the parents to bring plates, chips, cookies and other food. I have to pay the amount times 2 for both my boys. There are about 10 4 and 5 year olds. How much money would you need to have this picnic.

• Like 1

I would say $10 per kid, more if this includes a gift for the assistant coaches.

My DH has been involved with little league as a coach and board member for over 20 years.  I have seen everything from parents doing nothing for an end of season party/gifts, to parents contributing $50 per kid for end season parties/gifts, and everything in between.

Edited by Pink and Green Mom

No gifts for the coaches. I guess she's not too far off. She asked for $15, so I have to pay $30 for drinks, pizzs and a prize for my kids. I feel I could do this for much less. 2 mediun pizzas at pizza hut is less thab 20 hereand it could feed my whole family for 2 days. So, essebtially I'm paying $30 for 2 pieces of pizza,2 juices boxes and 2 goody bags. I feel a bit ripped off even though I can afford it, we try to be saving when we can.

• Like 3

Since the coach is asking for the money I'd assume that does not include a gift.  

Well, I can buy a large pizza here for $12.  That is a simple pizza, cheese and pepperoni.  (So more toppings would be more.)  A 2-liter bottle of store-brand soda costs about $1 (usually a little less). 

Probably small boys like that can only manage one slice of pizza, but let's say I'd get two or even three to be sure of being covered.  Three bottles of soda should suffice, right?  So about $4 per kid, not including goody bags.

ETA: Just saw OP's update.  $15 seems like a lot, since parents are bringing quite a bit.   Must be great stuff coming in those goody bags!

Edited by marbel

I would expect about $5 because the rest of the picnic is provided by the families.  Unless she is planning to get really upscale pizza.  I suppose if the families are eating as well then $15 could cover pizza for everyone, but if only the boys and the coach are eating that's quite a bit for what is being provided.

• Like 2

No gifts for the coaches. I guess she's not too far off. She asked for $15, so I have to pay $30 for drinks, pizzs and a prize for my kids. I feel I could do this for much less. 2 mediun pizzas at pizza hut is less thab 20 hereand it could feed my whole family for 2 days. So, essebtially I'm paying $30 for 2 pieces of pizza,2 juices boxes and 2 goody bags. I feel a bit ripped off even though I can afford it, we try to be saving when we can.

I wouldn't feel ripped off.  With my son, the party is the highlight of the season, especially if they did not trophy.

• Like 3

For kids that little, usually $5 would be plenty. Unless she has something specific and special for the goofy bags that is more expensive.

Eta - are goofy bags typical for this? Usually we see small trophies or ribbons but never goofy bags.

Edited by Where's Toto?

I think $10 would be plenty. My experience has been that the kids that age would eat one slice of pizza--two at most--and then go play. They're not really interested in sitting to eat when there is free play to be had.

Possibly the coach is getting enough pizza for parents/siblings as well? Or buying pricier "special" goodies for the gift bag.

• Like 1

Since the coach is asking for the money I'd assume that does not include a gift.  

ETA: Just saw OP's update.  $15 seems like a lot, since parents are bringing quite a bit.   Must be great stuff coming in those goody bags!

I just re-read and realized it was from the coach!  We've always done parties at a pizza place, etc. that each family paid for their own food.  No goody bags.  I've always contributed at least $10 per kid (I have twins) per coach for coaches gifts.  The coach should not be asking for that -- the team mom or another parent should.

Are the parents eating too, or just the kids? If parents are eating pizza then I can see that they need to pad the 'per kid' cost. But I wouldn't worry about running out of pizza since there is other food there. I'd plan on one slice of pizza per kid, a drink, and the families will round it out with their contributions of chips, cookies, etc.  But it still seems a bit high unless the goody bag is going to include a quality item. 

Kids do love the end of the year party but they likely won't care about the amount of pizza and probably won't hang on to the goody bag contents for very long.   Heck when our kids did theater we had a strike party after every show closed and we fed parents and kids a full meal including drinks and dessert for $5 per person, and that included decorations and plates, etc. 

Going by what my boys ate when they were 4 and 5 years old at a block party,

1/4 of a 18" Hawaiian or chicken pizza each kid approximately $26/4 = $6.50

3 packs of caprisun or equivalent per kid = 60 cents

My neighbor went to the Party City store and ordered online from Oriental Trading for goody bags so it was a few dollars per bag.

Does the coach need to pay a fee for use of the picnic area? My nearest park is free but first come first serve which makes it hard during popular days while another park has a booking fee of about $30 but you are guaranteed the picnic area you want at the time slot you booked.

Also things like disposable table mats, balloons or other party stuff all adds up the costs. My neighbor who was the host/coordinator sponsored disposable utensils and disposable cups.

I would go with $15 per child.

ETA:

Usually when parents bring other food, it is either a lot or too little. Once it was too little so the kids ate what was available and two adults went to buy more food for everyone.

Edited by Arcadia

Where is this party being held? Sometimes there are park reservation fees or restaurant minimum order amounts to cover.

My youngest is on a SN soccer team and my oldest is a volunteer "buddy". Their end-of-season team party is held at a pizza place that is a league sponsor. I order a personal gluten-free pizza for my youngest and then I get a medium pizza for my oldest & I to split (we take home the leftovers). Probably works out to $30 for the 3 of us.

Costco pizza is $10 for a huge one. Is she getting some kind of gourmet wood fired pies? $15 for a juice box, pizza, and bag o' crap is insane. You could take them to the movies and dinner with that.

See that is it. The family could do something instead and I'd prefer this because our coach has been flat out rude to the parents all year. Also my boys havent even made friends this year, so I suspect they wouldnt even be playing with their team mates just each other so why bother?

• Like 1

See that is it. The family could do something instead and I'd prefer this because our coach has been flat out rude to the parents all year. Also my boys havent even made friends this year, so I suspect they wouldnt even be playing with their team mates just each other so why bother?

Then skip it guilt-free! I'd email the coach that you're unable to make it so that he doesn't buy supplies for your kids, but I wouldn't waste any more thought on it. :)

• Like 17

I would expect $10-$15 each.  I would guess from my experience, which of course could be off, that parents and siblings will eat as well which increases the amount of pizza that needs to be bought.  Our last soccer party was at a pizza place and each family got their own pizza and drinks.  It was probably around $40 by the time we were done because of the cost of eating there.  I figure it is just part of the expense of playing sports.

Reading the replies really makes me think about what people prefer to spend money on and what things are expected from their own experiences.  It would feel cheap to me to only hand out a slice of pizza and bottle of water to each player, but for others that is being economical. I tend to like to splurge when it comes to parties and gatherings, this often conflicts with a few parents in my boy scout troop who want to buy the cheapest food possible to save money.  It is hard to balance all the expectations.

• Like 1

I would expect $10-$15 each. I would guess from my experience, which of course could be off, that parents and siblings will eat as well which increases the amount of pizza that needs to be bought. Our last soccer party was at a pizza place and each family got their own pizza and drinks. It was probably around $40 by the time we were done because of the cost of eating there. I figure it is just part of the expense of playing sports.

Reading the replies really makes me think about what people prefer to spend money on and what things are expected from their own experiences. It would feel cheap to me to only hand out a slice of pizza and bottle of water to each player, but for others that is being economical. I tend to like to splurge when it comes to parties and gatherings, this often conflicts with a few parents in my boy scout troop who want to buy the cheapest food possible to save money. It is hard to balance all the expectations.

Well I guess we havent had a very fun experience this year with tball, so maybe I'm just feeling kind of grumpy about other things.

It's funny. I'm not really cheap. We throw our kids some pretty lavish birthday parties compared to our family and friends, but I always feel annoyed veing invited ti something and then paying for it. I dont get it. I always supply everything when I host something and I guess I expect the same treatmebt?

• Like 2

I would expect $10-$15 each.  I would guess from my experience, which of course could be off, that parents and siblings will eat as well which increases the amount of pizza that needs to be bought.  Our last soccer party was at a pizza place and each family got their own pizza and drinks.  It was probably around $40 by the time we were done because of the cost of eating there.  I figure it is just part of the expense of playing sports.

Reading the replies really makes me think about what people prefer to spend money on and what things are expected from their own experiences.  It would feel cheap to me to only hand out a slice of pizza and bottle of water to each player, but for others that is being economical. I tend to like to splurge when it comes to parties and gatherings, this often conflicts with a few parents in my boy scout troop who want to buy the cheapest food possible to save money.  It is hard to balance all the expectations.

I think the cost is excessive based on the information given.  As I read it, the parents are being asked to provide funds for pizza, a drink, and a goody bag containing unspecified items - loved the description "bag o'crap" upthread - to cover their own child.  In addition, parents are being asked to provide other things needed for the party.  

$15 per person is a lot for pizza and a drink for a 5 year old.  I haven't had a 5-year-old for a while, but I do remember they could not eat much pizza, even though they liked it and had healthy appetites.   

I too like to splurge a little for a party, but there's no point in being wasteful. And when people are being asked to contribute, they should know what the money is going to.  If it includes enough food for siblings and parents, that should be known to the parents who are paying so they can decide what they want to do.

• Like 1

I'd expect $5-10 per kid and would honestly be quit annoyed to be paying for my kids goodie bags. I'm fine paying for their food, but $15 seems high to me. If you don't think your kids want to be there and it seems you don't I wouldn't go. We've done that in the past. Also if the coach is calculating feeding siblings and parents, is think it should be a per person of family cost since in your case you're paying twice for the family.

• Like 1

It's funny. I'm not really cheap. We throw our kids some pretty lavish birthday parties compared to our family and friends, but I always feel annoyed veing invited ti something and then paying for it. I dont get it. I always supply everything when I host something and I guess I expect the same treatmebt?

Would you rather the league increase its registration fee to cover the costs of the end-of-season party?

I'd personally rather have a lower registration fee and then chip in extra for the banner and the party because that way the costs are spread out more.

If the food is for everyone, then $15 is reasonable. I can't imagine why the coach should fund the party or goody bags (though you could lobby to not have those), he already volunteered his time to coach.

Why not just skip the party? It doesn't sound like you've had a good experience.

• Like 1

Would you rather the league increase its registration fee to cover the costs of the end-of-season party?

My sons have been on teams that had no party. Just a little gathering after the game to have juice and cake (and I think the coach paid for the cake) while the coach recognized each child and their contributions to the team. My dc, at least, weren't bothered by the lack of a party.

• Like 1

I would think $5 for just kids, $10-$15 for family eating as well (including siblings).

I would suspect this (volunteer?) coach has paid for parties in the past and gotten overwhelmed.

For $15 per person I would assume it's a family invite and may even clarify if the cost is per family or per child.

I don't think it's unreasonable, and I imagine that adults will be eating, too. However, I live in a HCOL area.

If you think it's too much, I think you could say so to the coach or simply not attend. It sounds like you haven't enjoyed the overall experience this time around, so that's probably coloring your thoughts here, too. It's really ok to tell your kids you'll have a family party and let the coach know you won't be attending.

We throw lavish kid parties, too. I never ask for contributions, but it doesn't bother me when other people do it differently for their own families. But in this case - I absolutely would not want the coach footing the bill for a party. The league, maybe, if it's part of our fees upfront. But not the coach. I see that on par with PS teachers needing to contribute so much to their classrooms.

• Like 1

I vote that's too much. Unless its buffet style and there will be some non paying volunteers. If it's just a plate with two slices of cheese pizza, a couple of drinks and a goodie bag (not necessary - I don't like people giving my kids candy and plastic junk) I'd expect to pay no more than $10. I'd have no problem pitching in snacks or supplies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our baseball teams tend to do parties at a local pizza place that is order at the counter, then sit down, and they allow you to buy by the slice.  It works well for us.  No one bats an eye if you buy your kid one slice, a water, and then the grown up "isn't hungry" or "is planning to eat later."  There is a full gamut of ordering styles there.

We did have a t-ball party this year that was decided (by consensus) to be at the park.  We did it one Sunday afternoon, complete potluck.  It worked out well.  

It is frustrating to have a team/classroom/group party in which you have no input but are asked to give a large $$ amount.  I prefer things where each family can make the money choices that work best for them.  I grew up in a family in which these types of things were a BIG deal to the budget, so I feel like I might go overboard in the things I help plan to make sure that no one is put on the spot.  

• Like 4

I think $15 per kid sounds kinda high, but I wouldn't expect it to be less than $10.  I guess it depends on how much she's spending on goody bags - you could be getting a bag of crap or maybe she's trying to do something nicer/bigger.  That's probably the only part that would bug me - paying for goody bags too.

We would totally skip. One, because they haven't made friends and the season sounds like kind of a bust. Two, because goodie bags--who needs more plastic participation awards? And three because it's a lot of money for something they won't care about.

Come to think of it, I don't think in all the sports and all the teams my son has played on over the years, that we ever had an end of the season party. I guess his XC and track teams at the middle school do, but those are during normal meet times and get this--they charge 50 cents. I just love that. :)

4 & 5 year olds will not eat much pizza. I say 50 -75 at the most. You can buy 5 dollar pizzas. Maybe $5 per child. Doing it cheaply. Why is she have you pay for it and provide stuff? If she wanted to throw a party then she should pay for goodie bags and pizza.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well, I can buy a large pizza here for $12.  That is a simple pizza, cheese and pepperoni.  (So more toppings would be more.)  A 2-liter bottle of store-brand soda costs about $1 (usually a little less). 

Probably small boys like that can only manage one slice of pizza, but let's say I'd get two or even three to be sure of being covered.  Three bottles of soda should suffice, right?  So about $4 per kid, not including goody bags.

My 28 lb four year old can (and will) easily eat three pieces of pizza -- most boys I know who are baseball age will eat several if they can. 

I just ordered four pizzas, a box of parm bites, and a 2-liter for my two boys (4 and 8) and their babysitters (two teenage boys), and I expect only one pizza will be left by the time we get home. I believe my total was over $60. 

Even if the parents are bringing plates and cups, you still have tablecloths and other small incidentals. When I host and put together events for local homeschoolers, I always tack on an additional few dollars a head because I know SOMETHING will come up -- and in the past, when I didn't, I always ended up paying a good bit out of pocket.

Edited by AimeeM
  • Like 2

4 & 5 year olds will not eat much pizza. I say 50 -75 at the most. You can buy 5 dollar pizzas. Maybe $5 per child. Doing it cheaply. Why is she have you pay for it and provide stuff? If she wanted to throw a party then she should pay for goodie bags and pizza.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

It's an event--a party for a team--not a birthday party.

• Like 2

My 13 year old was asked for $10.00 for a pool party which includes transportation, entry to the pool, pizza, drinks, and inflatables for use at the party. I wouldn't like to give more than that, especially for a bunch of 5 year olds, to be honest.