Menu

Kitchen remodel--do I need a contractor??

Moxie

We did, and I'm so glad. There are a million small details that came up and neither dh nor I would have been able to solve. Dh and I did a lot of the prep and grunt work, and the contractor did the skill stuff. 

Another bonus to having an outside person, is that there is an accountability for time spent on the project. And there was attention to detail right up to the finished product. Dh and I would have dragged out the project and not finished things to "perfection." 

So excited for you!

Whether you get a contractor depends on your level of knowledge and skill

I feel like, having to ask the question means I don't have the knowledge or skill to be my own contractor, right? DH wants to hire a contractor but I worry it will cost extra.

I feel like, having to ask the question means I don't have the knowledge or skill to be my own contractor, right? DH wants to hire a contractor but I worry it will cost extra.

Here, the general contractor typically charges a 10% fee. But you save some money because the contractor gets you discounts. And it should save you hassle because the contractor handles all the permitting, scheduling, ordering, and ensuring that everything is done correctly.

• Like 2

It also depends upon some of your zoning regulations. If you install new plumbing or electrical you may need a licensed individual to do that work. If you're just changing cabinets and installing a new sink type of stuff, you may not, depending upon your comfort level with DIY projects. 

It depends on the scope of the work and your personality.  It would be very bad for me to do the contracting work myself because I hate confrontation.  

And confrontation will happen.  But some people can do this really well--I have a friend who is so good at it, I think I might actually enjoy being chewed out.  But I am not that person.  Nor am I Landlord Material.

If I were moving major components (walls, windows, plumbing, electric,) absolutely.

If I were just getting new appliances, cabinets, counters, and floors, I'd cheap out and manage the project myself. But I like to manage. :-)  I also like to do some things myself, which means I'd probably spend the money on a goof up, anyway. :-(

Dh is a painting contractor.  He often goes to jobs where the homeowner is the general.  More times than not, the homeowner asks him who he recommends to do the tile, plumbing, etc.  He usually acts as the unofficial general (more of a consultant).  Unless you know a timeline of subcontractors, what to order, when to plan, what permits(if any), it's often better to hire someone who can organize it.  It can be cheaper to hire contractors in the right order(ie.  paint before trim and floor)  

Congrats! BTW. :)