Menu

Low Income and All these Sales

Wow,

There are a ton of sales!

The only one that caught my attention was the 30% off and free shipping for Saxon at CBD. The price of Algebra 1 is only $13.00 more than in 1997.

Back in the 1990s a common plan was $100.00 a year. The oldest kid got a new Saxon book for around $50.00 and there was still $50.00 left for a few odds and ends: mostly language arts, and lists to use the library more confidently and efficiently.

Just in case anyone needs a place to blow off steam or to talk about what is on sale that might be useful or not to our lower income members, I started this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

Thank you.

I was just looking for an appropriate place to SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! that I think my shopping is done.

It would look pretty pathetic to anyone who had never been low income: the exact same Handwriting Without Tears workbook that my older kids had in the '90s-'00s.

With eBay and vintage workbooks, you never know whether you're going to get pristine or something that's been filled out and has pages missing so it's a big deal for me.

I also have scarcity issues from my olders. I treat them like the crazy uncle who shows up drunk every Thanksgiving and humour them with things I need for the same reason concentration camp survivors might have needed an extra slice of banana cream pie fifty years after VE day or to ignore their doctor's advice to lose a few pounds.

Maybe tomorrow I'll see something I think I need or want for next year, but today I feel very done and satisfied and like I can just ignore the sales and get on with life.

I think my "normal" budget might have been $100 per kid per year instead of just $100 per year, but it's also been $5 a year and whatever was left of my share of the grocery money at the end of my "health fast".

My caboose baby isn't in a charter so I haven't really had to set a figure for a budget this year, but $2,600+ per year per kid just feels WRONG to me in a supply and demand Republican/Conservative economic policy sort of way and I don't even self-identify as Republican/Conservative.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 4

I've bought nothing. My girls are 11 years in age apart, and I'm so glad I saved some stuff from when Dancer was smaller. And, that I've collected all kinds of free ebooks and curriculum through the years, because that's what I'll be using with Gymnast. I did purchase an IEW program in April's homeschool conference for my oldest, but hope to be able to earn it back by tutoring with it. I looked at the sales, but keep checking my ebooks and other resources and see I have it, or something similar. I put my blinders on.

• Like 4

Betterworldbooks is having a 25% off sale.

https://www.betterworldbooks.com/go/memorial-day?utm_source=Email&utm_campaign=Bargain&utm_medium=b2017-05-25-US&utm_term=body-promoimage-shopthesale&utm_content=lander

I recently bought a few used books all at once during a ThriftBooks sale and got a 5 book language arts set for about $14.00 including shipping.

https://www.thriftbooks.com

Some oldschool stuff that no one ever talks about anymore can show up at these two sellers.

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 4

I love Better World, both the savings and the company. Unfortunately, there is javascript on the site now that doesn't work with my device so I can't order directly from them any more and wanted to mention, in case anybody else has technical difficulties, that you can still order from them from the Abe Books site and eBay.

eBay is a habit I would love to break and Abe Books is a subsidiary of the Amazon Corporation but sometimes you've just got to do what you've just got to do.

My two youngest are 16 years apart and I was like a kid in the candy store fishing things out of the dollar bin and my friends' recycling bins for a rather sad amount of time. I have sitting on my shelf right this very moment the English program I longed to be able to buy for my olders and never did get to use. I can't find any peer support because curriculum goes through fashions just like hemlines and everybody with a homeschool aged kid hates it and laughs at it like a joke now.

I also have the vintage workbook I COULD afford for my olders, which was already old and unfashionable when they had it and which I am probably going to use because I am familiar with it and you really can't convince me that it was inadequate after reading dd28's Masters theses.

I think the most valuable thing I got from the dollar bins wasn't yesteryear's impossible dream multi-hundred dollar curricula but the understanding that this is the ultimate fate of all homeschooling curricula, yes, even Bravewriter and Beast Academy or whatever it is we can't afford that they are all talking about.

hth somebody

Edited by Guest
  • Like 10

It is funny to now be able to buy all the most expensive stuff of yesteryear for pennies at the used booksellers.

I repurchased the English set, because it was familiar, as IEF said. Very little learning curve to get back up and running.

I wait until there is a bulk sale and several oldschool items are available at the same time.

Poking in my betterworldbooks wishlist, there is something in there I TOTALLY forgot about. It isn't in stock in the right place to qualify for the sale, but I know I can get that somewhere for almost nothing. That will be fun to replace that!

Yes, the fate of all the new books is a used book bulk sale. :lol:

• Like 3

JavaScript and incompatibility of websites. I feel like incompatibility issues are majorly increasing right now. In the past, I sometimes just had seriously out of date tech, but right now, I'm not out of date. but am amazed how often switching devices is needed to do the most basic things.

If this incompatibility stuff gets any worse, it is going to totally halt low income transition to digital from hardcopy.

I have majorly overspent on tech. No financial planner would okay the percentage I shelled out on tech this year. And the problems I am still running into! I have never experienced this much incompatibility with this much new and higher-end tech.

• Like 1

I bumbled across an old email while I was cleaning up an old now-yahoo soon-to-be-verizon email account where I was telling someone, "You're probably going to think I'm a crazy conspiracy theorist for saying this, but I think the XP EOL is going to silence the voices of certain segments of the population."

I had forgotten all about that.

I have, however, been very sad about the sudden silence of so many of my old homeschooling heroes from the magazine days. Of course some of them have died, some of them, like Helen Hegener, are just done and have moved on to other things and are happy and enjoying life, some of them have become very negative energies in my life, and some of them were nothing but scammers and twentieth century versions of a certain persons we all know who have the initials MR, SD, and DM but I couldn't see it at the time any more than these fresh faced young 'uns can see what is clear as day to me now.

Has anybody else noticed that?

There is a link in my sig that has something to do with tech if anyone is interested. Otherwise, I pretty much agree with what Hunter is saying and am not making any huge effort to keep up. Of course I can't afford paper copies of everything, but I'm trying to think of my ebooks as more like library books and to get out of the habit of spending so much time searching, organizing, and tinkering that i never even get to READ any of my ebooks or enjoy doing what I like to do with my tech before it dies or becomes obsolete!

What if the internet and all our devices are nothing but a passing fad we have to try to explain to our great-great-grandchildren? What would a story that began with the phrase, "Once upon a time there was this thing called 'the internet'..." look like?

Totally off topic, but it might be an interesting creative writing exercise for a kid who was older than my little or a therapeutic exercise for a low income mom who was stressed out by all the sales.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

It is funny to now be able to buy all the most expensive stuff of yesteryear for pennies at the used booksellers.

That's what my mother says too!  She homeschooled two of my siblings back in the 90s (last one graduated in 2003), and she is forever telling me that she saw such and such item that was really expensive back then for a couple of dollars.

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing the Better World Book sale Hunter! I'm deep in research mode on a new to me topic. I'd already exhausted my library's selection and had been deliberating which book to purchase next since I couldn't afford to get them all at once. I just got 5 books for less than the cost of 2 on Amazon!

• Like 1

There has just been a lot going in the tech world that affects low-income access to "free" stuff.

I only know enough to show how stupid I am. But I do know some sort of attack happened last October or November and soon after that, Android started sending out forced security updates. And Android Nougat came out. And bad things started happening. When it was new expensive phones, it made the news. When older cheaper devices were affected everyone just blamed the device or didn't talk about it at all. My phone started frying itself just minutes after a forced security update.

I don't know what is going on with the Yahoo takeover, and just hope it doesn't hurt me. It has me a bit worried.

Lately, trying to use websites I had been dependent on don't work. I don't even know why.

Something is going on with MP3 being phased out. Could PDF be phased out next?

It isn't even the phasing out that worries me so much as what is and is not being said about it. "That is old technology. We have better now."

But what about people that cannot afford to update? Or don't want to? I just want to be able to use my MP3 audiobooks and music and lectures!!!!! I care about the content not the format.

People that spent years developing free educational material now find out it isn't compatible with most devices anymore. All that work for nothing.

Yes, I can come up with all sorts of dystopian and sci-fi scenarios, or just ever so slightly rewrite ones already written.

I have no choice right now other than to heavily rely on tech, But just the past couple weeks, I'm realizing that the amount of overspending on tech that I can manage in a push, might not be even close to enough to keep me able to access what I have bought and what is "free".

Worrying, panicking, hoarding isn't the answer. But, I'm alert. I'm slightly increasing my storage of a few carefully chosen hard copies. Just a few.

I had a bit of food stored over the winter in a couple of banker boxes. As I have eaten that up, I'm converting 1 or 2 of those boxes to book storage.

No rush. Taking things slow, and only as

necessary, or when a deal drops in my lap. But depending on what I see happen over the next year, I might try really hard to hold onto about 3-4 banker boxes of books instead of 1-2.

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing the Better World Book sale Hunter! I'm deep in research mode on a new to me topic. I'd already exhausted my library's selection and had been deliberating which book to purchase next since I couldn't afford to get them all at once. I just got 5 books for less than the cost of 2 on Amazon!

A couple times in the past, during a new to me topic I have lucked out at Betterworldbooks and ThriftBooks bulk sales. I know how happy I was. I'm so glad you were able to find a whole set that qualified. :party:

I have a vintage Pentium III and vintage software that runs on it. I was planning on doing the same thing with this sweet Thinkpad X60 tablet I'm typing on when I was picking them up for $20 apiece and planning on just getting a battery and hard drive for ONE and using the others either for parts computers or sacrificial victims while I learned how to flash the BIOS and install libreboot.

Then I got the news that 32 bit support was being discontinued after Debian Stretch and Xenial Xerus.

I'm glad I have them and I put a hard drive with my old vanilla Ubuntu 12.04 (I forget the animal name because I don't use vanilla ubuntu any more) install in a drawer instead of wiping it but I completely lost interest in librebooting them.

Then I got an X200T, not knowing that it can't be librebooted without a beagleboard and not really needing it, in retrospect, just thinking it was cool to break my record and pay $15 for my next new-to-me device.

Now they're working on freeing the X220 so they will probably be able to free the bios on my T420 by the time I find a sympathetic friend with a beagleboard anyway.

I.am.done.

I am also aware that most of you mentally translated the above as bla bla bla computer computer computer so I am making an effort to just say the relevant parts:

I agree with you. Tech is taking too much of my time too. I am spending too much money on it. It isn't worth it. I am going to write paper letters to my adult children instead of looking for free stuff on the internet when I have a free moment. I do not use Android and I do like my developers (and even hang out and shoot the breeze with them sometimes) but I am seeing the same things you are at a deeper and more general level. I am validating what you are seeing with your own eyes. It is not just you.

That's fantastic, WoolC! I'm so glad you were able to find what you need and also to support the work that Better World is doing.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

Tech right now reminds me a bit of the mortgage crises. Up up up and then crash.

I think we might be reaching some sort of high that I don't want to buy into. I think it needs to peak and crash and settle before I buy much of anything more.

I'm alert, not freaked out. I just sense a shift. I threw everything I had into keeping up. It should have been enough to fix things, but instead just raised myself high enough to see new problems I didn't know were up there.

Like, IEF said. I'm not going to do much hunting and organizing, but am going to be doing more using and living.

Ezrabean is usually too busy to be online, but she talked to me about sitting down and writing her own little lists and template style lessons compiled from books too bulky to rely on. And then sending the list and templates to Kindle, where it appears in her devices as an Ebook.

We have talked about commonplace books and teacher notebooks. I'm feeling more desire to sit my butt in a chair and do more of this.

Doing this doesn't require owning nice books. They can be library books or stinky scribbled-in used copies. I just need temporary access to the content long enough to take notes.

The very first homeschool "curriculum" were often hand typed lists and templates that moms wrote more for themselves than even with intent to share.

• Like 2

I can tell you that the difference between the T20 (very old Pentium III that doesn't access the internet any more) and the X60T (designed for Windows XP and in no danger of getting stolen) inside is shocking. The T20 is very sturdy and didn't give me any problems when I replaced the CMOS battery, so I wasn't overly concerned about doing the same on an X60T.

Then I opened it up and it looked so flimsy I couldn't believe it was supposed to be held together that way until I read, reread, redownloaded and finally accepted that the user manual I had was real and the plastic over the mobo that looked like the inside of one of those noise-making greeting cards was really supposed to be there and I really was supposed to use sticky tape to hold the CMOS battery in place.

Then it wouldn't even boot. I tried everything. The laptop/tablet had other issues so maybe something else went and it had nothing to do with a newbie learning how to replace CMOS batteries at all, but still....it made me value my T20 all the more and work that much harder at converting files for it with the more modern PCs and finding compatible software, simplifying, using stable reliable old boring command line apps instead of whatever was there by default, etc.

(This is something I enjoy doing, like your friend with the Model T in his garage that he drives once a year to the car show and has fun looking for parts for at the junk yard, not some insider information about a coming crisis; just making sure you understand.)

I am so glad I lost the auction for the T430s I thought I wanted when I had the money and the inclination to buy my every-five-years-or-so five year old computer that was the best I could get for $200. It turns out that the flipping ram is SOLDERED TO THE MOBO!!!!!!!

It isn't just a matter of needing more RAM because they put more junk on your favourite webpages, sometimes a stick of RAM just goes bad and you need to get another one.

With the Thinkpad T*s series, you need to get a whole new computer.

I couldn't even run my own software on the newer Lenovos that I wouldn't want even if I could afford them which I can't.

There are white hat hackers in this world trying to help us and making a lot of personal sacrifices to do so, but they need too eat too and I just can't afford to pay them what they deserve.

Like me, they can make computers out of computer parts but we can't fix flimsy or get you online with scotch tape, chewing gum, and words and sentences you don't understand.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

IEF, I wanted to like your post, but I didn't understand a word of it. ;)

But I do know enough to feel better about the actual, physical books I do have on my shelves.  Even the old cheapies that are held together with packing tape.

I know I can't bank on having long term whatever is on my computer or device. 

A book in the hand is worth two on the tablet?   :p

• Like 6

I love listening to IEF talk computers!

I remember my MIL really seemed to enjoy looking at my little guy's Algebra homework that he used to bring over to show his grandparents. She told him it was "pretty" but that she didn't understand any of it. I didn't fully understand her until I met IEF. So often I don't understand what she is saying, but I just love to be allowed to listen. She is the coolest!

• Like 2

IEF, I wanted to like your post, but I didn't understand a word of it.

Okay; then let's try this instead:

I was so shocked at the difference between the quality of materials and workmanship that the same company used to make two laptop computers that look very similar on the outside, one circa 1999ish and the other circa 2006ish, that I just threw a public temper tantrum.

• Like 6

Yes, it's used time! I just snagged the second section of our Trail Guide to Learning program for only $40 for. Other books and the student worksheets, together. It's nearly $150 new but some yahoo wrote on every page with highlighter. However it's well taken care of beyond that and the binding is tight, so I figure since it's just a teacher's guide I can suck it up and work with the text as is.

For that deal I'll take highlighting!

In the past, I lost physical books so much quicker than ebooks. I still have most of my first e-books I bought 10 years ago. My hard copies have suffered some horrible fates. :lol:

I just think things might be about to change.

This is the attack I'm talking about.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/D51F7BE8-9AC9-11E6-B03C-850A74A73CC6

Unsecured devices were a problem, including baby monitors.

When cars first came out, they were not regulated. Now, regulations make it increasingly difficult for low-income families to be allowed on the road. It is against the law to drive down the road in a beat up vehicle without special seats and straps for everyone. Here in the city, lots and lots of poor kids seldom travel in cars and don't learn to drive.

I wonder if old devices could ever be forced off the internet.

I was so shocked at the difference between the quality of materials and workmanship that the same company used to make two laptop computers that look very similar on the outside, one circa 1999ish and the other circa 2006ish, that I just threw a public temper tantrum.

People's expectations on how long they were going to own a computer changed drastically then, didn't it?

Now cell-phone companies are changing the way they do financing, because they don't expect any but the poor to use the same phone for 2 full years.

But this cyber attack forced manufacturers to at least make sure phones were not causing problems for others like car insurance that first needs to protect others, not you. If they break your old phone, so be it.

One of my new-to-me books smells like mold. IEF told me to use baking soda or cat litter. I really need to do that.

I don't mind old books and sometimes prefer them. I feel so guilty throwing nice books away. If a book is enough of a mess, I don't mind tossing it instead of trying to rehome it. I feel lighter and freer around old books.

So Taryl (or anybody else with kids older than 9 and younger than 25) I am understanding you correctly that the best time to buy outgrown books from fellow homeschoolers is at the end of one school year?

I am still learning these things.

I did not use the internet much for homeschooling my olders. It was a fun toy for when we were done with our work when they were teens and something I used instead of the card catalogue to find books at the library before that.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

So Taryl (or anybody else with kids older than 9 and younger than 25) I am understanding you correctly that the best time to buy outgrown books from fellow homeschoolers is at the end of one school year?

I did not use the internet much for homeschooling my olders. It was a fun toy for when we were done with our work when they were teens and something I used instead of the card catalogue to find books at the library before that.

Yes! Buy them at the end of the semester when old stock is being moved for new and other parents may be done with their unit or program. Absolutely. Another good time can be October, when companies are trying to clear our overstock if they have some from the sales cycle during the summer.

Thank you.

I didn't put up a wish list on the WTM classifieds this year because I was embarrassed and didn't think the things I really wanted would be very popular here, but I'd much rather buy from a fellow homeschooler than amazon or ebay if I have a choice, no matter how snarky I sometimes sound about the $2,600+ per year per kid peeps.

I usually just post them as the need arises. That's not going to fly when ds gets older and I get weirder.

Goodwill has been great as far as getting what I want at a price I can afford. They list things on eBay too and they don't always know a lot of details about the item so they just want to move it FAST.

It's great if you can go into it with the same attitude normals have about playing the slots at the casinos. I do that for computer parts as well as curriculum.

The downside, though, is that the organization itself really isn't everything our parents told us it was when they were trying to make us feel better about decluttering outgrown clothes and toys.

I'd still rather support Goodwill than Salvation Army. No just no just no. St. Vincent dePaul was also great back in the '80s when I was on the receiving end rather than the giving end, even though I wasn't Catholic or even < sarcasm > as appealing a personality as I am now < /sarcasm >.

The best, of course, is when I can help fellow homeschoolers afford the sixth grade curricula they want and/or declutter by buying my fifth grade curriculum from them.

So why isn't this happening? We have the internet now so we get to meet each other and have all these great conversations and diverse points of view for perspective but we're all buying our books from stores?!?!? WTF???

Even as recently as when my 25 year old was homeschooling Middle School and Junior High we had curriculum exchanges, either formally or informally, where everybody brought boxes to Park Day to see if anybody else could use what they were done with.

I don't understand 2017.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

Betterworldbooks is having a 25% off sale.

https://www.betterworldbooks.com/go/memorial-day?utm_source=Email&utm_campaign=Bargain&utm_medium=b2017-05-25-US&utm_term=body-promoimage-shopthesale&utm_content=lander

I recently bought a few used books all at once during a ThriftBooks sale and got a 5 book language arts set for about $14.00 including shipping.

https://www.thriftbooks.com

Some oldschool stuff that no one ever talks about anymore can show up at these two sellers.

This is exactly how I afforded our books for history this year!  There are a surprising amount of vintage living history books available through these two sellers. 

I recently introduced my dad to them and he has found a lot of foreign language stuff he wanted--learning Biblical Greek, resources to keep up his Hebrew, etc.

I used to get excited about a trip to the used book store, but that's been replaced by these sellers.  Our used book stores are really expensive now!  Does anyone have any idea why the price of used books has risen so much over the last 10 years?

• Like 1

The best, of course, is when I can help fellow homeschoolers afford the sixth grade curricula they want and/or declutter by buying my fifth grade curriculum from them.

So why isn't this happening? We have the internet now so we get to meet each other and have all these great conversations and diverse points of view for perspective but we're all buying our books from stores?!?!? WTF???

Even as recently as when my 25 year old was homeschooling Middle School and Junior High we had curriculum exchanges, either formally or informally, where everybody brought boxes to Park Day to see if anybody else could use what they were done with.

I don't understand 2017.

You'd think with all the KonMarie-ing going on this would happen more!  Thankfully I regularly get texts/calls from homeschooling friends asking if I want stuff when they declutter.  I wonder if folks are trying to recoup their investments by selling curriculum online at barely reduced prices?  I keep seeing used Apologia texts selling for $5 less than new, etc. 

• Like 1

We still regularly have a free table of books and other stuff, but it's dwindled in recent years. One, we have many large families in our group (4+ kids), so a lot of us are holding onto stuff. Two, PDF curricula is so handy; I know that even if I don't like something, if it's a PDF, I'm stuck with it and can't give it away or sell it. Three, maybe people need the extra cash, any extra cash, if they can get it?

October can be a good time to buy, when people get rid of something they've decided isn't working. And of course, a lot of places have Black Friday sales. That's how I've bought all of my Pandia Press stuff, which really brings the price down; I buy it in PDF (and Hunter, I sure hope PDFs don't disappear!), so it's really easy to reprint and use for the next child.

• Like 1

Thanks for explaining. :)

• Like 1

Oh yeah. I have almost sold enough on the local Homeschool board on Facebook to buy a summer pool pass this past week. I don't like to mess around with the post office, but will probably open that option up to be able to get that full amount. I need to figure out how people know what shipping will cost.

Et. I meant to say I'm selling it all very very cheap. Holding lots of different things in front of my eyeballs has helped me so much, even if I didn't ultimately use the curriculum, that I want to help others do that too. Normally I just give it away (streamlined economic system it is not lol but I am Killin it in Homeschool 😄), but this is an extraordinarily lean year!

Edited by OKBud

I have one PDF that started malfunctioning about 6 months after I bought it. It insisted on having the most up to date Adobe Reader to open it, and won't open with anything else but a freshly updated version.

The MP3 thing really spooked me. At first I didn't know what was going on. I couldn't open an audio file on a new device.

I was able to download an app, but I still had problems. I didn't think too much about it, until I got an e-mail talking about MP3 being no longer supported.

New laptops are coming without USB ports. Adapters cannot be trusted to do the job. Many adapters only allow certain formats to pass through.

So I know this could happen. I've had enough go wrong lately that I never foresaw. After being locked out of enough of my stuff already, I'm expecting more, not less. As I said, especially because of the attitude about it.

I've found lots of great unused curriculum items at Goodwill recently, just to throw that out there. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

This coming month, I'm going to splurge on a transportation pass, instead of mostly only limiting myself to where I can walk. I'm going to hunt out all the nearest thrift shops and used book stores. I stumbled on one used bookstore when I had my last pass and was running a far away errand while I had it. I got two nice desk reference books from the late 1990s that I really like, and that have not been republished in newer editions.

When the local library did some renovations they dumped a lot of their reference section. Some they threw away. Some they put away as they are OOP. None are on the shelves anymore for the patrons to view or take home. Hardcopy reference is just almost gone.

• Like 1

The only purpose of a corporation is to make money for its stockholders.

It doesn't have anything to do with anything except that the normals don't have to go to work so they're shopping instead because that's what normals do.

/snark

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

The only purpose of a corporation is to make money for its stockholders.

It doesn't have anything to do with anything except that the normals don't have to go to work so they're shopping instead because that's what normals do.

/snark

Sometimes I totally forget what normal is. :lol:

Not having a TV accentuates that I'm finding. I do have a little portable TV with a  magnetic antenna, but I forget to watch it and when I do, it bores me. Input is not fast enough. I need input. But no TV makes me even lose track of what I'm supposed to think I'm supposed to strive for. If you cannot have it, it is sometimes nice to not even know it exists. Except it leaves me asking stupid questions, sometimes.

I accidentally hit my television with a sledgehammer a couple thousand times in 1996 and it never did work properly after that.

Usually I just nod and say things like "What about them niners, huh?" but once I had to ask who Johnny Depp was.

Apparently Johnny Depp is or was the highest paid actor in the history of bad movies I don't give a fig about.

Yes, the person looked at me like I had three heads before they explained, but what should I care what some idiot who doesn't even know who Pat Farenga is thinks about me?

Edited by Guest
  • Like 4

Thanks for explaining. :)

Hey, no worries. I have to ask people to explain tech stuff to me all.the.time.

That's how we learn.

• Like 2