Menu

U.S. civics or social studies books?

bluejay

All of my suggestions are elementary grades, mostly around gr. 3-5

The 6-book American Government Today series (gr. 3-5). Titles/topics include: Your Right to Vote; Congress; Supreme Court; The Presidency; The White House; and Washington DC.

Also check out Fact Finder's What It Means series (gr. 3-5). Titles/topics include: Declaration of Independence; Bill of Rights; Pledge of Allegiance; Star Spangled Banner; I Have A Dream Speech; Dollar Bill.

Also a possibility, depending on what you want to cover: Complete Book of Presidents and US States.

More books:

Children's Books and Websites About the US Government -- list by topic

A Mighty Girl: list of books about women in government/civics

Documents:

- We the Kids: The Preamble to the Constitution (Catrow) -- gr. K-3

- We the People: Story of Our Constitution (Cheney) -- gr. 3-5

- A More Perfect Union: The Story of Our Constitution (Maestro) -- gr. 2-4

- Shhh! We're Writing the Constitution (Fritz) -- gr. 2-5

- Bill of Rights (Sobel) -- gr. 3-7

Government

- How US Government Works (Sobel) -- gr. 2-6

- If I Were President (Steir) -- gr. K-2

- House Mouse and Senate Mouse (Barnes) -- gr. K-4

- How a Bill Becomes Law (Hamiliton) -- gr. 3-5

- The Voice of the People: Democracy in Action (Maestro) -- gr. 2-5

- Marshall: The Courthouse Mouse (Barnes) -- gr. 1-4

Elections / Voting

- The Election Activity Book (Baicker) -- gr. 1-3

- Election Mania (Porter) -- gr. 3-5

- Presidential Elections and Other Cool Facts (Sobel) -- gr. 4-7

- See How They Run (Goodman) -- gr. 3-6

- Voting in Elections (DeGezelle) -- gr. 1-3

- Granddaddy's Turn: A Journey to the Ballot Box (Bandy) -- gr. 1-3

- You Want Women to Vote, Lizzie Stanton? (Fritz) -- gr. 3-6

Patriotism / Patriotic Figures

- The Fourth of July Story (Dagliesh) -- gr. K-4

- America: A Patriotic Primer (Cheney) -- gr. K-4

- The Impossible Patriotism Project (Skeers)

- Pledge of Allegiance (Hicks) -- gr. 2-6

- I Pledge Allegiance (Swanson)

- Red White and Blue: Story of the American Flag (Herman) -- gr. K-3

- The Star-Spangled Banner (Welch) 

- Story of the Statue of Liberty (Maestro) -- gr. 2-5

- The Statue of Liberty" (Penner) -- gr. K-3

- The Copper Lady (Ross) -- statue of liberty

- Saving the Liberty Bell (Figley)

- First Kids ( Davis) -- gr. 1-4 -- children of Presidents, who lived in the White House

Websites:

- Kids: USA Gov. website: Learn About the States

- We the Civics Kids

- Congress for Kids

- I-Civics -- online games (more at a middle school/high school level)

Videos:

- This is America, Charlie Brown: "Birth of the Constitution"; "The Smithsonian and the Presidency"

- Liberty's Kids series (US colonial/revolutionary history, with some government in there)

- YouTube: Schoolhouse Rock: Government -- I'm Just a Bill; Three Ring Government; Preamble; Electoral College; etc.

Songs:

- Wee Sing: America -- patriotic songs and American history/folk songs

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Wow, thanks for these suggestions!  I'm looking for an overview of society, gov and geography altogether at a grade 1-2 level.  We have looked over Harcourt but we were wondering if there's anything better for general study.  We want to go to specifics like the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and History afterward.  I didn't think of using websites though...

Wow, thanks for these suggestions!  I'm looking for an overview of society, gov and geography altogether at a grade 1-2 level.  We have looked over Harcourt but we were wondering if there's anything better for general study.  We want to go to specifics like the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and History afterward.  I didn't think of using websites though...

Harcourt or other textbook can be a great way to make sure you touch on the many Social Studies topics.

If not a textbook, perhaps Studies Weekly? Option of mailed magazine or online-only publication, and in the subject area of your choice, and geared for your state. I didn't know what state you are in, but at random, here is the CA Social Studies Weekly info for grade 2. The magazines cover a wide variety of social studies topics in very short articles with lots of photos. (Also available are magazines with a focus on English, Science, Math, and Health.

Or, if you feel up for DIY (Do It Yourself), here's a list of 2nd Grade Social Studies topics typically covered in public schools. Looking at the World Book Encyclopedia Typical Course of Study for each grade can also give you ideas of topics to cover. For example, grade 2 overall topics include: History, Citizenship & Government, Community & Culture, Geography, and Economics.

Social Studies is a very big "catch-all" subject, so you have a LOT of leeway in deciding what to focus on. :) Good luck in finding what best fits your family's needs and goals! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions!   I am interested in Studies Weekly.  I've never encountered this before.  Do you use it as a supplement or can it replace a textbook on a subject?  

Also although it might be a touchy subject, we don't want a book on Social Studies that has an obvious political-social agenda.  I'm not familiar with what is out there, but I just want an unbiased presentation as much as possible.