Menu

k12 American Odyssey -- 7th grade

I want to do a year of US history with my rising seventh grader next year.  We have all of the History Odyssey for that level, so I am planning to pull out all the US-specific parts.  He's been using the k12 Human Odyssey books for the past few years and likes them.  Is the American Odyssey book about the same level?  I was thinking that plus some supplemental non-fiction, and of course, his literature will be largely US history focused.

Other spine options are welcome.  Not Hakim; I don't care for her writing style at all.

ETA: Amazon has some reviews that suggest that it's high school level.  Yes?  No?  He is a good reader but not fast at all, and while he's quite compliant and a hard worker who likes to work independently, I don't want to push his limits too much.  He loves history, and I'd like to keep it that way.  So I'm not interested if it really is a higher level than the Human Odyssey books.

Edited by happypamama

The American odyssey is written for 9th graders or maybe 10th. It's meatier and longer than their Human Odyssey books. I successfully used half of the book with my advanced 6th grader this year but we supplemented. We'll finish the book next school year. I think it's complete and totally doable for a 7th grader, but you may have to stretch it over 7th and 8th grades so you don't feel like you're rushing. We've really enjoyed it.

• Like 1