Menu

Co-Op Middle School Science

Scrappy11

Any suggestions for a curriculum for a once a week Christian co-op teaching science to grades 4 through 8?  We like to use the time for labs.  It doesn't necessarily need to be a full curriculum, but an explanation of the lab would be important; not just, "Hey do this cool thing and you're done."

Hmmm, my preference is 3-5, 3-6, 4-6 but not 4-8. I prefer group middle school grades together 6-8. 

Anyhow, I think Rebecca Keller's Real Science-4-Kids would work. While it is secular, it is Christian friendly. It's a little light to me for 6-8 graders.

I'm using Dr. Wile's series for elementary to teach 3-5. I'm going to teach the next one (Science in the Age of Reason) for 3-6 next year as some of the kids want to continue with me.

Possibly Apologia Elementary Chemistry and Physics would work as there are a fair number of labs in there for each chapter.

Ours usually uses the Exploring Creation with ... series. Kids do the reading at home. They do the experiements at co-op. This past year they tried the new Wile series, using the last one, Science in the Age of Reason. There were more than one experiment to do a week, so the teacher scheduled it out for the best ones to do at home and picked 1-2 a week to do at co-op. Kids kept a lab notebook at home. 

I will be teaching Apologia's elementary chemistry and physics for grades 4-6 at our co-op next year. We will assign book work at home and labs/enrichment in the weekly class. It may work for up to grade 8.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk