Menu

Reading comprehension for 5th grader

tld

Most of my remedial students no longer had comprehension problms once their phonics was remediated and they could sound out everything. Free to print, what I use with my students:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

If there were sight words learned as wholes, do extra nonsense words.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

Cover the basics in making reading easier - when decoding is tough it's hard for the brain to piece together more complex topics and deeper thinking through them.

That said, I find verbal narration and basic outlining exercises to be a huge help in late elementary.

Once you've figured out the decoding issue, I would recommend working on making sure he can visualize what he's reading. That was a huge challenge for me with my DS8. He could decode far above grade level but his comprehension fell short. For example, he could read "The fish swam in the ocean." And he knows what each word individually means, but he couldn't string them together to form a coherent picture of fish swimming in the deep blue ocean.

There's a great, but pricey, curriculum by Lindamood Bell called Visualizing and Verbalizing, which walks you through how to help your student visualize what he is reading. I highly recommend it, although I know it's more expensive than most curricula. You can purchase it through Gander Publishing (http://ganderpublishing.com/content/visualizing-and-verbalizing-overview.asp).

Another strategy I used was to let DS illustrate stories instead of answering comprehension questions. (It helps that he loves to draw.) By doing that, I was quickly able to tell what he was picturing and where he had gaps in his knowledge. So, we'd talk about the gaps and try to fix them. It was a time-consuming process, but it was worth it to get his reading comp up. He's definitely improved but not to the point where his comprehension is on par with his decoding. He is autistic so he has some underlying neural issues.

I'd be happy to walk you through some more of the Visualizing & Verbalizing stuff if you have questions.

Good luck!

Carol

• Like 1