Menu

Crazy History Questions

wehave8

Has anyone done MOH with olders (12 & 14) AND SOTW with a younger (10) at the same time. I DON'T want to rearrange chapters.  I don't want to use an outside lesson plan that combines. They always rearrange chapters.  I want open and go.

I really considered BP, but from the past, planners like that never get done.  I start with the planners and their pages, and then always want to add the pages that go with the MOH or SOTW because they look great, too!  Then I can't decide, I get overwhelmed, and none get done.

BUT, if I follow SOTW AND MOH guides, keeping the levels separated, will it totally confuse me?

I had asked about doing everyone together with one of these 2 a few years ago, but we ended up doing something all together different.

This year we did our own 'explorers' study and then studied Africa and it's geography.

I really want a better plan for next year and follow through with the plan.

Pam

I wonder if the 14 yo and possibly the 12 yo would find some of the activities in level 1 too juvenile? If so, you could skip those. I thought it was for younger grades, but went to the website and saw it's for all ages. You could beef it up w/ extra reading and/or research if you wanted. It's been a long time since I've held that book,, so I could be wrong. 

I feel silly responding at all after seeing your pedigree aka signature. You've forgotten more about homeschooling than I will ever know! 

Let us know what you decide. 

Editing to fix:

I know you said no BP but the schedule is actually pretty streamlined and open and go. For example in ancients week 7 Monday SOTW does chapter 6 and MOH does week 5 "Joseph" then you would read The Golden Goblet as a family read aloud if you want and Mummies and Egyptology recommended reading. There are a few other books there you could choose from. It is pretty easy to use. I cannot use complicated schedules either but BP is so user friendly.

If you go to BP site you can download a sample of the first couple of weeks I believe so maybe take a look and see of it might be something that could work.

I swear, I don't get royalties for plugging them haha. I just REALLY love their schedule :)

Edited by nixpix5

Editing to fix:

I know you said no BP but the schedule is actually pretty streamlined and open and go. For example in ancients week 7 Monday SOTW does chapter 6 and MOH does week 5 "Joseph" then you would read The Golden Goblet as a family read aloud if you want and Mummies and Egyptology recommended reading. There are a few other books there you could choose from. It is pretty easy to use. I cannot use complicated schedules either but BP is so user friendly.

If you go to BP site you can download a sample of the first couple of weeks I believe so maybe take a look and see of it might be something that could work.

I swear, I don't get royalties for plugging them haha. I just REALLY love their schedule :)

OKAY, IF...

...I did BP, and used SOTW with 10 yo ds, would you do the activity pages from BP OR SOTW?  I have the pages from SOTW and I don't know if I should sell them or if I'll use them.

Pam

OKAY, IF...

...I did BP, and used SOTW with 10 yo ds, would you do the activity pages from BP OR SOTW? I have the pages from SOTW and I don't know if I should sell them or if I'll use them.

Pam

I tend to be someone who uses curriculum as it suits me. I used the SOTW activities and maps when they made sense to me and I had time. I would do a BP craft activity when it made sense and I had the supplies. So, I am a toggler. I love the SOTW activity guide. I do think the map activities are awesome.

• Like 1

I tend to be someone who uses curriculum as it suits me. I used the SOTW activities and maps when they made sense to me and I had time. I would do a BP craft activity when it made sense and I had the supplies. So, I am a toggler. I love the SOTW activity guide. I do think the map activities are awesome.

So,

I could use the BP Guide for 'when' to do a SOTW chapter (as we go along with the MOH schedule for the olders), and do the SOTW AG?  Does it tell somewhere what AG page goes with the SOTW chapters?

I'm just so thick headed until that 'duh' moment comes along.  Then I can't see what the big deal was and it is all crystal clear.  :)  I think it is the time of the year that I am going crazy with wanting next year settled!

Pam

So,

I could use the BP Guide for 'when' to do a SOTW chapter (as we go along with the MOH schedule for the olders), and do the SOTW AG? Does it tell somewhere what AG page goes with the SOTW chapters?

I'm just so thick headed until that 'duh' moment comes along. Then I can't see what the big deal was and it is all crystal clear. :) I think it is the time of the year that I am going crazy with wanting next year settled!

Pam

The BP guide will tell you when and what chapter of SOTW and MOH to do (as well as when to use any of the supplement books or bible if you use them) and if you chose to get any of the other BP add ons (not necessary but they are schedule if you need or want).

The SOTW AG is broken into chapters that correspond to the SOTW book chapters. You just flip to it when you are on that chapter and it tells you what activities, questions etc to use. So for Crete chapter it will tell you to go to the map on pg x that corresponds to the activity. It was super easy to do I promise ;)

• Like 1

Is there a reason that you don't want to just do MOH with all 3? 

I'll see if I can say this to make sense.  There's always a three-ring circus going on around me.  :)

I guess because since youngest is still young enough for SOTW, and I've read (too much!) that SOTW and MOH might round each other out (one more secular and one more Biblical), I thought if I did them both, I might be able to share with the younger/olders what the other is reading and show how the history weaves together.  Or do you think MOH does that well enough on its own???  Totally clear as mud???  :)

Pam

• Like 1

I'll see if I can say this to make sense.  There's always a three-ring circus going on around me.   :)

I guess because since youngest is still young enough for SOTW, and I've read (too much!) that SOTW and MOH might round each other out (one more secular and one more Biblical), I thought if I did them both, I might be able to share with the younger/olders what the other is reading and show how the history weaves together.  Or do you think MOH does that well enough on its own???  Totally clear as mud???   :)

Pam

I can see that :-).