Menu

Weak bladder woes. Does anything help?

pinkmint

Or do I need to start wearing adult diapers at 37?

The only time I sleep a whole night without getting up at least once to relieve my bladder is when I catch a virus maybe once a year and get real dehydrated.

Being in public where a restroom is not always feasible is a real drag too.

I've carried and birthed 3 babies, 2 of whom were over 9 lbs. I'm not that young anymore but not exactly geriatric yet. I understand things don't work as well as they used to but is there anything that really helps?

I try to hold it but the pressure and discomfort in my bladder is not easy to endure.

Don't rule out physical therapy as it can also help with this issue.  When I was in for rehab with my shoulder, the head therapist there was seeing clients referred to her from OBs specifically for help to avoid surgery with this problem.  Apparently they have a pretty good success rate.

• Like 2

baring structural damage, that can easily happen during childbirth . .

there are things you can do that help.

working the entire pelvic floor and abdominals.   kegels work one set of muscles - and it leads to even more unbalance.

for actual damage . . . there are pessiaries/et.al, but the only permanent fix is surgery.   I had so much damage from dudeling (forceps on a 10+lb baby), it was my only option.   things have been fabulous ever since, and it's been 8 1/2 years.

the big test for the assessments to figure out exactly what the damage actually is . . was not very fun.  go to a urologist (I had a female.). 

my gyn wanted to do a hysterectomy and what she was describing just made me uncomfortable.  my mom went that route with a gyn - and it didn't last five years.

• Like 1

for actual damage . . . there are pessiaries/et.al, but the only permanent fix is surgery.   I had so much damage from dudeling (forceps on a 10+lb baby), it was my only option.   things have been fabulous ever since, and it's been 8 1/2 years.

the big test for the assessments to figure out exactly what the damage actually is . . was not very fun.  go to a urologist (I had a female.). 

I have a pessary and it has solved the problems for me.  I didn't want surgery because I am pretty active and that increases the risk of the surgery failing.  I might have surgery in the future if I am less active/the pessary stops working for some reason.

I tried PT and exercises.  Didn't help.  It's not super bad.  I can hold is so long as I don't cough really really hard.  I do have to wear something though.  I use slim pads. 

I don't want surgery so I'm good with this.  That's what was offered.

Edited to add, I'm leaky.  It's not that I am saying I have zero issues.  I do.  It's just not super bad.

Edited by SparklyUnicorn
  • Like 1

Here is something you can easily try for free, but I would look into all the suggestions posted here too. 

A friend's dd got UTIs so often, my friend too her to a urologist. That urologist told the mom to give dd full glasses of water(8 oz, I'm guessing) and have her drink ALL of the water at one time. The idea is to fill the bladder, and then, once full, she would entirely empty her bladder. By sipping water, the bladder wasn't filing and then emptying entirely, making for a weak bladder, and then infection would set in. This tiny change stopped her UTIs. 

I'm sure there are medical folks here who can explain it better (or outright contradict this!), but when ds had UTIs, I did this and it worked for him just like it worked for my friend's dd. 

It's free, easy, and worth a try while you research other options, but ITA w/ the comment above about childbirth's changing this. I will be watching this thread!

• Like 1

To add my voice to those above, if you can go to a urogyno, then you should.  There are so many options these days!  Sometimes PT is enough especially if you are only 37, not menopausal, healthy, and haven't tried it before.  Either way, you should try PT because if you end up needing surgical repair, strengthening the pelvic floor will aid recovery and may prevent other problems from arising.

A urgynocologist will do a complete exam and may do urodynamic testing to give a precise picture of what's going on.

Weak bladder, getting up at night to pee, stress incontinence, rectal/uterine/bladder prolapse, etc. are have different pathologies and different fixes.

PT helped me at first. A pessary actually made my urinary incontinence worse.  My babies were huge and I'm pretty sure it's their fault I'm a mess. LOL.  After PT, my muscles are super strong, but strong pelvic muscles won't fix what ails me.

Best wishes!

• Like 2

I had small babies, so minimal damage. I also am pretty strong at my core. When I suddenly started leaking, I also started having neck cramps. When I searched for the solution to the neck problem, low magnesium cropped up and another symptom turned out to be leaking. A magnesium supplement solved the leaking and helped cut down neck problems, low energy, and migraines.

Just in case it helps someone...

Nan

• Like 5

I have been using this book: https://www.amazon.com/Core-Program-Fifteen-Minutes-Change/dp/0553380842/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495664446&sr=8-1&keywords=the+core+program

It's a PT book for women about holistically strengthening the core to prevent/help/cure pain and common problems. I actually got it to strengthen my post-3-baby-abs in order to help my lower back pain (amazingly effective! :hurray: ) but it also helped with pelvic floor issues. I finally feel like the whole area is getting back to normal after two vaginal births and a c-section. There's a whole section on leaking and how this program strengthens the pelvic floor. I think(?) it doesn't recommend kegels for beginners, but says that the program on its own is enough, though once you've been doing it awhile you can add in kegels if you choose.

Anyway...I'm no expert, but $10 for a book is a lot cheaper than a doctor visit, endless packs of pads, or surgery.

• Like 1

Weak bladder, getting up at night to pee, stress incontinence, rectal/uterine/bladder prolapse, etc. are have different pathologies and different fixes.

PT helped me at first. A pessary actually made my urinary incontinence worse.  My babies were huge and I'm pretty sure it's their fault I'm a mess. LOL.  After PT, my muscles are super strong, but strong pelvic muscles won't fix what ails me.

Best wishes!

you'd think one day our children will appreciate what we did to our bodies to have them . . .

dh does.

• Like 2

I'm 38, have IC, and frequent uti's, along with near constant leaking. I had a bladder sling done in December. It's helped with the peeing in my pants part, but not the uti's (I know an apostrophe isn't needed there, but utis looks crazy! 😜) or pain and burning. I recommend a urogyno or at least a good uro who will listen. Kegels or pelvic floor therapy may help. (Unless you suspect IC, then don't do kegels)

What is IC? 

I don't know exactly what a prolapse is either or if I have one. 

Thanks everyone. I ordered the core strengthening book and the "Bathroom Key" book. I figured that yes, it's a lot cheaper than Dr visits and tests and maybe surgery. If those things don't help then I'll go to the next step of the Dr. 

I don't really have bladder leakage just near constant urge to urinate even if a lot doesn't come out. And I've had UTIs so I think I know what they feel like but this doesn't feel like that. I could be wrong though. 

I don't really have bladder leakage just near constant urge to urinate even if a lot doesn't come out. And I've had UTIs so I think I know what they feel like but this doesn't feel like that. I could be wrong though. 

That doesn't sound like weak muscles, but like overactive bladder. The good news is, there is now medication that is supposed to control that urge...basically it's an irritable bladder and the medication calms it the heck down! http://urologyhealth.org/urologic-conditions/overactive-bladder-(oab)

• Like 1

Hmm.

As far as trying to relax the bladder while peeing, is that best? If I don't push the urine out it takes forever. It's annoying and time consuming especially in the middle of the night. But I wonder if it's making things worse to be pushing it out.

I had one fibroid tumor (there were others) so large it folded my bladder in half making it impossible to fully drain both parts and pressed against my left ureter so that my kidney wasn't draining properly.  I had a hysterectomy (gynecologist and urologist present during surgery) that removed the uterus and cervix (I kept my ovaries) and I went back to a normal peeing pattern.  Sleeping through the night has been wonderful.

That doesn't sound like weak muscles, but like overactive bladder. The good news is, there is now medication that is supposed to control that urge...basically it's an irritable bladder and the medication calms it the heck down! http://urologyhealth.org/urologic-conditions/overactive-bladder-(oab)

There is a link between these and Alzheimers that you might want to look into before you ask your doctor for a prescription, pinkmint.

YMMV, of course, but what you are describing doesn't sound that abnormal to me.

I found it very embarassing to have to get up several times at night to pee or to have to find a restroom when it was inconvenient for others or to say, "No thank you, that doesn't work for me but maybe some other time we can get together and go X and do Y instead." when I was your age.

It might have something to do with subconscious memories of harsh toilet training or it might have to do with societal fear/hatred of older women. I neither know nor care at this point.

I have to live in my body and you have to live in yours. Your body gave you those wonderful kids and it takes pretty good care of you and it deserves to be loved and respected for what it is.

If adult diapers help you feel more comfortable, then go for it!

You might also look into Poise Impressa, which I have never personally used because I just say, "Back in a sec; I gotta pee." but they aren't a diaper; they're more like a pessary you don't need a prescription for.

As always, my opinion is my own so just take anything that helps and ignore the rest.

It's great to see you back on the boards. You were missed.

No advice exactly but I do use the poise liners sometimes. I believe the ones I use are called liners, but they are more like a pad.

My current concern is what to do in a bathing suit. I leaked the other day when wearing my suit. :(

Here is something you can easily try for free, but I would look into all the suggestions posted here too. 

A friend's dd got UTIs so often, my friend too her to a urologist. That urologist told the mom to give dd full glasses of water(8 oz, I'm guessing) and have her drink ALL of the water at one time. The idea is to fill the bladder, and then, once full, she would entirely empty her bladder. By sipping water, the bladder wasn't filing and then emptying entirely, making for a weak bladder, and then infection would set in. This tiny change stopped her UTIs. 

I'm sure there are medical folks here who can explain it better (or outright contradict this!), but when ds had UTIs, I did this and it worked for him just like it worked for my friend's dd. 

It's free, easy, and worth a try while you research other options, but ITA w/ the comment above about childbirth's changing this. I will be watching this thread!

I have a cold right now so things are worse this week. Coughing and sneezing is not fun. When I leak it can happen with a full bladder or not so full bladder, but I don't like letting it get too full because it just seems like a disaster.

I had small babies, so minimal damage. I also am pretty strong at my core. When I suddenly started leaking, I also started having neck cramps. When I searched for the solution to the neck problem, low magnesium cropped up and another symptom turned out to be leaking. A magnesium supplement solved the leaking and helped cut down neck problems, low energy, and migraines.

Just in case it helps someone...

Nan

I need to start taking my supplement again. I do believe I am low in this.

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 1

I had similar issues for ten years and finally made an appointment with a urogynecologist, after being told by obgyn repeatedly to basically live with it because it happens to all women. Well, since the appointment was 3 months out, I finally decided to do some research. My symptoms somewhat fit interstitial cystitis so I followed the diet recommendations for it. I completely cut out coffee, tea, and carbonated beverages (I drank 2 la croix a day). It took about a week but I started noticing a change in my urgency and now after 6 months I would say I am 90% better. I sleep through the night! Before I would get up 2-4 times a night.

When I finally saw the uro, I explained everything I had done and she said it sounds like I have overactive bladder and to obviously keep up the diet of avoiding bladder irritants. She also said I could do bladder training which further helped my symptoms.

I do miss coffee so much😔 But it's not worth the trouble.

I miss lemonade too. All I can drink now is water and milk. I have found chamomile tea is not very irritating.

Maybe give the diet a shot.

There is a link between these and Alzheimers that you might want to look into before you ask your doctor for a prescription, pinkmint.

On top of that it can cause other issues. My mother had a life threatening electrolyte imbalance when she tried those meds.  She ended up in the hospital. 

It doesn't strike me as magical. 

My mother also had surgery (bladder suspension) that didn't work.