Menu

Land Owners... how many restrictions are too many?

Dancer_Mom

We are starting our search for some land (10-15acres) to build a house.

Some of the parcels we have found have minimal restrictions because they are part of a small "community" of parcels.

Examples: Only stick built homes, no trailers, no mobile homes, no noxious or offensive activities etc.  There is also a clause on some that state if 80% of the owners agree to amend the restrictions they can.

Even though they seem reasonable, we worry that it may not feel like we have left our HOA.  Our plan is to build a home and have a very small hobby farm.  We just don't want to worry that down the road things could change and we couldn't have/do what we wanted on our property. 

Our realtor told us it wasn't too common to have any restrictions on land but they can be good as it helps with resale. 

For those that live on land what do you think?  Are minimal restrictions positive or negative?

I think they're negative overall, beyond basic zoning that every community has. The parcels far enough out of the city code to be zoned for recreational or farming use shouldn't have excess restrictions on them. It only limits well meaning homeowners from using their asset the way they want and it does very little to make your nasty junkyard hoarder stop their activities if they're bent on doing it.

People like us aren't going to build with timber. But that silly set of restrictions will stop us from building a nice ICF home. Nopers.

I hate HOAs as well though, so there's that.

I am against HOAs and would not want those laws......with 80% vote the rules could really change making things much more limited for you.  I try to encourage everyone to check zoning rules, then double check them.

• Like 2

I'd pass.  It never ceases to amaze me that people move to "land" and then want restrictions.  Land is too much work and expense to put up with the potential of being limited in it's use.  The only time a restriction on land is good is when it's someone who only has 1 acre in an actual neighborhood (with children) who thinks they have enough space to shoot their guns.

Stefanie

• Like 1

I'd pass. It never ceases to amaze me that people move to "land" and then want restrictions. Land is too much work and expense to put up with the potential of being limited in it's use. The only time a restriction on land is good is when it's someone who only has 1 acre in an actual neighborhood (with children) who thinks they have enough space to shoot their guns.

Stefanie

Totally agree with this. Many former farming or horse farm communities are having issues these days. People who want "nature," but don't actually like to interact with nature, file complaints against barns and farms for noise, smell, you name it. If you had enough of them it would get to 80% faster than you think. They can actually shut down boarding stables that have been there for decades, which to me should be illegal. It was there when they bought. Get over it.

Anyway, I would avoid it. I like a nice town and all, but we've dealt with people who didn't like the sounds/smell of horses. It's a pain to deal with and stressful. Go somewhere you can happily ignore them and have your hobby farm.

Edited by texasmom33

We have land with a few restrictions by the town; mostly they have to do with how closely you can build a structure to your neighbor's property.  You want to look for zoned agriculture or agriculture/residential to avoid problems with your hobby farm.  Where our land is is zoned residential/agriculture and there's no problem with some chickens or goats that way.

Some of the parcels we have found have minimal restrictions because they are part of a small "community" of parcels.

Examples: Only stick built homes, no trailers, no mobile homes, no noxious or offensive activities etc.  There is also a clause on some that state if 80% of the owners agree to amend the restrictions they can.

Even though they seem reasonable, we worry that it may not feel like we have left our HOA.  Our plan is to build a home and have a very small hobby farm.  We just don't want to worry that down the road things could change and we couldn't have/do what we wanted on our property. 

Our realtor told us it wasn't too common to have any restrictions on land but they can be good as it helps with resale. 

For those that live on land what do you think?  Are minimal restrictions positive or negative?

We have land with a few restrictions by the town; mostly they have to do with how closely you can build a structure to your neighbor's property.  You want to look for zoned agriculture or agriculture/residential to avoid problems with your hobby farm.  Where our land is is zoned residential/agriculture and there's no problem with some chickens or goats that way.

We have restrictions. Lot size is one. Minimum lot is 5 acres. No mobile homes. No swine or poultry.

Outbuildings (garages and such, barns don't count) should match the exterior of the house.

Okay. So here's how it's worked out.

We live on 40 something acres.

The restrictions are 30 years from the time the original farm was broken apart. That is in the next 3 years or so. These restrictions have helped the properties gain in value. This is really a gorgeous area, larger lots, nicer homes.

We have broken the rules though. We have chickens and have had them for years. We did raise swine last year. If the neighbors had complained, we would have had to get rid of them.

The spirit of the law is to keep the area looking and smelling nice. Our animals don't bother others. If they did, we'd have to get rid of them. We have a small flock of hens and raised 4 pigs for 6 months. on a 5 acre lot, they might have been a problem.

So much of this depends on your relationship with your neighbors. Don't know that I'd make the same decision in the future though. Too chancy.

And the 80% thing? No way in the world I'd go for that.

I like restrictions.  Mobile homes, roosters, pigs, cars on blocks in the front yard, blaring music, etc. are things I don't want to look at or hear and hugely affect property value.  I think things like length of the grass, colors of the houses, types of plants that can be in the front yard, no allowing clothes lines etc. are too restrictive.

Edited by Shellydon
  • Like 1

I would love the only stick built homes. The property next to our rural company has two mobile homes (being lived in. One more in a state that I think it is not being actively lived in), junked out cars, etc. They have some animals too. But don't keep them in their fences so they are always wandering next door. I think the police did finally convince  them they could not keep goats anymore after they found them wandering in the road.  But before that two cars were damaged parked in our lot when goats climbed on them.  Things like that.

Edited by vonfirmath

Totally agree with this. Many former farming or horse farm communities are having issues these days. People who want "nature," but don't actually like to interact with nature, file complaints against barns and farms for noise, smell, you name it. If you had enough of them it would get to 80% faster than you think. They can actually shut down boarding stables that have been there for decades, which to me should be illegal. It was there when they bought. Get over it.

Anyway, I would avoid it. I like a nice town and all, but we've dealt with people who didn't like the sounds/smell of horses. It's a pain to deal with and stressful. Go somewhere you can happily ignore them and have your hobby farm.

We just bought a 28 acre property that has been fairly neglected.  Currently trying to clean it up to bring my two horses home.  In a few years I may play with taking on a few boarders.  We are 4 miles from a new uni campus and there is no boarding at all on this side of the county.  But considering the property make-up (city gravel pits, city water wells, and river flood plain) of the area, we won't be seeing development for a long time still.

Stefanie

We have restrictions. Lot size is one. Minimum lot is 5 acres. No mobile homes. No swine or poultry.

Outbuildings (garages and such, barns don't count) should match the exterior of the house.

Okay. So here's how it's worked out.

We live on 40 something acres.

The restrictions are 30 years from the time the original farm was broken apart. That is in the next 3 years or so. These restrictions have helped the properties gain in value. This is really a gorgeous area, larger lots, nicer homes.

We have broken the rules though. We have chickens and have had them for years. We did raise swine last year. If the neighbors had complained, we would have had to get rid of them.

The spirit of the law is to keep the area looking and smelling nice. Our animals don't bother others. If they did, we'd have to get rid of them. We have a small flock of hens and raised 4 pigs for 6 months. on a 5 acre lot, they might have been a problem.

So much of this depends on your relationship with your neighbors. Don't know that I'd make the same decision in the future though. Too chancy.

And the 80% thing? No way in the world I'd go for that.

Is your lot a preservation parcel? We have built in neighborhoods where the majority of lots are 3 acres, and they have restrictions, but also a preservation parcel, which people are permitted to use for hobby farming.