Menu

Water polo?

Spy Car

So looking forward to High School, we've found an otherwise perfect program for our boy (school year after next), except for the lack of a lacrosse team. Boo hoo.

So other than football (which was my game, but one I've been discouraging) the one sport that popped out as an option is water polo. The HS has a pool and a good team.

The boy has never been a "swimmer" exactly, so the aquatics may be will be rough, but the game seems like lacrosse in the water (san sticks). My wife thinks I've gone completely insane (she spent a few hours walking around crying out "water polo?" at odd intervals), but I signed him up for "Intro" at the local WP club and had him meet with the HS coach for a swim evaluation last weekend (which he passed).

We've had one practice so far. They had to swim pretty much non-stop for an hour and a half (which I thought might be impossible) but he toughed through it. And in the end-of-practice scrimmage, he did especially well at defense (and made some nice goals).

Post-practice was too funny. For the first time in my son's life that I remember, he demanded food, and "now!" I said I had steaks and salad ready to go once we drove home. He said, "I need to eat now!" After a few such exchanges, I caved and got him a burger to hold him over for the trip home.

Guess he burned a few calories?

So far the strokes (freestyle, breast, back, and egg beater) are fairly marginal in terms of proper form. But at least he didn't drown. I call that success!

Next practice this evening.

This is so far outside our wheelhouse but seems like a fun (tough) sport where the boy can bang around a little with cronies.

Anybody else in this game?

Bill (total newbie)

• Like 1

Can't remember if you're a Trekkie, Bill?

I have no personal experience with water polo, but now every time it comes up I have to think of Star Trek: Enterprise because the captain (Scott Bakula) is obsessed with water polo and is always watching old games in his quarters whenever he has free time.  That's probably my biggest exposure to water polo. :D

• Like 4

I think my son would enjoy it, but as far as I know there aren't any teams in my area.

My kids did swim team last summer, swimming an hour every day. I was always shocked by how hungry they were afterward, it really reved up the metabolism.

• Like 1

My son and nephew play.

It is fantastic exercise, and "proper form" is a subjective term because water polo swimming is much, much different than speed swimming. Water polo players swim with half their body above water much of the time.

The boys love it, but just so you know, it can be a brutal sport. Anything goes underwater. A.n.y.t.h.i.n.g. Kicks, grabs to "sensitive areas", scratches, pinches, kidney punches, etc. As long as it happens underwater, all is fair in love and wa...terpolo. :)

As for swimming, our town piloted the "learn to swim through waterpolo" for itty bitties that is now spreading across the province. They use flotation belts and get comfortable in the shallow end of the water while learning/playing the basics of the game. For the olders, they can't help but to build stamina and strength with that much time in the water, because you're right, it's non-stop at practices, and all in the deep end - no walking on the bottom for a break. :-)

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 3

Well, you are in water polo Mecca. Here in CO, they take all comers. And you are absolutely right, the swimming will get easier and he already has a ton of skills that will transfer well. My oldest really loved it.

All water sports need snacks in the car on the way home. No joke. No one In the world is crankier than my dd2 during a hungry ride home. I bring food to save my sanity.

• Like 3

Can't remember if you're a Trekkie, Bill?

I have no personal experience with water polo, but now every time it comes up I have to think of Star Trek: Enterprise because the captain (Scott Bakula) is obsessed with water polo and is always watching old games in his quarters whenever he has free time.  That's probably my biggest exposure to water polo. :D

If I had to Google "Scott Bakula" and "Star Trek: Enterprise" am I a non-Trekkie? :D

I do remember Trouble With Tribbles.

I'd never really seen a water polo match, although in college I did go to some workouts (as a spectator—thank you very much) with some pals from the dorm who were on the UCSB team.

I thought football practices were tough. The WP coach kicked their asses so hard that I was exhaused just witnessing it.

A particularly sadistic element of practice was making the players fill a 5 gallon plastic charboy full of pool water and then to tread water while holding the water jug over their heads (with arms fully outstreached) until the water fully drained out. And they had to do it again, and again, and again. Brutal!

Oh and like Scott Bakula, I've been watching old games. Yesterday it was the 2012 Bronze Metal match between Serbia and Montenegro (who'd recently split from a united country, and were part of Yugoslavia before that). Tensions were high, and the game got rough. 5 red cards including two Serbian coaches.

I think I'm going to love this sport.

Bill

• Like 2

My son and nephew play.

It is fantastic exercise, and "proper form" is a subjective term because water polo swimming is much, much different than speed swimming. Water polo players swim with half their body above water much of the time.

The boys love it, but just so you know, it can be a brutal sport. Anything goes underwater. A.n.y.t.h.i.n.g. Kicks, grabs to "sensitive areas", scratches, pinches, kidney punches, etc. As long as it happens underwater, all is fair in love and wa...terpolo. :)

As for swimming, our town piloted the "learn to swim through waterpolo" for itty bitties that is now spreading across the province. They use flotation belts and get comfortable in the shallow end of the water while learning/playing the basics of the game. For the olders, they can't help but to build stamina and strength with that much time in the water, because you're right, it's non-stop at practices, and all in the deep end - no walking on the bottom for a break. :-)

Yeah, I know that the "water polo freestyle" is its own thing, but in the limited experience so far the coach is having the players do a ton of lap swimming using regular swimming strokes. 

I think that being a tough game will appeal to my boy. He's the sort that needs to bang around a little. I was that way too. 

This club (and many others, from what I gather) have a variation for little ones called "Splashball." Our Hungarian coach doesn't seems to approve, as he practically spit though his teeth an scrunched his face when pointing to the kiddos in an adjacent pool, while saying "that's not water polo."

Parents tell me to expect dramatic results in terms of stamina (and food bills :D)

Bill

• Like 1

Yeah, I know that the "water polo freestyle" is its own thing, but in the limited experience so far the coach is having the players do a ton of lap swimming using regular swimming strokes.

I think that being a tough game will appeal to my boy. He's the sort that needs to bang around a little. I was that way too.

This club (and many others, from what I gather) have a variation for little ones called "Splashball." Our Hungarian coach doesn't seems to approve, as he practically spit though his teeth an scrunched his face when pointing to the kiddos in an adjacent pool, while saying "that's not water polo."

Parents tell me to expect dramatic results in terms of stamina (and food bills :D)

Bill

Yes, the speed swimming helps when the ball changes direction, for sure. My DS is in speed swimming now that waterpolo is done for us for exactly that reason.

Dramatic results about sums it up. I am amazed at DS's stamina and swim ability results in one season. Food bills might go up a bit. ;)

• Like 1

My friend from Texas was GOBSMACKED when I told him that water polo was bigger than football in my high school. California! I LOVE the sport. My son has chosen to go out for football, but I think he would be extremely successful in H2O polo.

Back in the day, my school didn't have a girls' team, so my friend and I joined the boy's team. Our school had a 3 or 4 time CIF championship team, so it was no small thing for us to go out for it. It was the absolute hardest physical thing that I've ever done outside of childbirth.

Your son is going to get ripped. 

Just a heads up, it was pretty standard, and I've heard still is, for water polo coaches to make it mandatory for their players to do swim in the spring. This is one of the reasons my son is going out for football. Swim conflicts with baseball, his primary sport. 

It was very smart for you to start him now. Make sure you do all of the registration for his high school right now. They'll have summer camps and practices that he'll want to be part of in order to make the team. He'll also need to get his physician clearance and concussion baseline test done. Believe it or not, water polo is not a low concussion sport. Our local high school has had their highest number of concussions this year on the water polo team. 

I've spent the last 2 days sorting out CIF eligibility. If your son is a transfer student, make sure you look into that.

• Like 2

Well, you are in water polo Mecca. Here in CO, they take all comers. And you are absolutely right, the swimming will get easier and he already has a ton of skills that will transfer well. My oldest really loved it.

All water sports need snacks in the car on the way home. No joke. No one In the world is crankier than my dd2 during a hungry ride home. I bring food to save my sanity.

I will pack something for tonight.

And yes, I'm discovering WP is pretty big here. Especially in the posh private schools and the upscale public schools to our West (where our club is based). Our local HS has a very good team, but I think it is less elite than the Ventura/Agoura based schools and those in Orange County. Which should be a plus for us, I think.

The HS coach said lots of players start in high school when I expressed concerns we might be "too late."

I'm curious to see how things evolve.

Bill

My friend from Texas was GOBSMACKED when I told him that water polo was bigger than football in my high school. California! I LOVE the sport. My son has chosen to go out for football, but I think he would be extremely successful in H2O polo.

Back in the day, my school didn't have a girls' team, so my friend and I joined the boy's team. Our school had a 3 or 4 time CIF championship team, so it was no small thing for us to go out for it. It was the absolute hardest physical thing that I've ever done outside of childbirth.

Your son is going to get ripped. 

Just a heads up, it was pretty standard, and I've heard still is, for water polo coaches to make it mandatory for their players to do swim in the spring. This is one of the reasons my son is going out for football. Swim conflicts with baseball, his primary sport. 

It was very smart for you to start him now. Make sure you do all of the registration for his high school right now. They'll have summer camps and practices that he'll want to be part of in order to make the team. He'll also need to get his physician clearance and concussion baseline test done. Believe it or not, water polo is not a low concussion sport. Our local high school has had their highest number of concussions this year on the water polo team. 

I've spent the last 2 days sorting out CIF eligibility. If your son is a transfer student, make sure you look into that.

Last week we saw the 12-14 year olds (who do conditioning practices after us) and those boys were ripped!

No kidding about that. My kid already has that sort of body (of the leaner rather than bulkier type) and I know he will enjoy taking it to a different level.

We have the info on possibly doing the HS novice team this summer. He passed the test and the coach said he'd welcome him on the team, but evidently it is hard to get a slot due to returning players. So we will see. If not the HS team, the club runs great teams.

HS coach did suggest (strongly) swim team in Spring. I think this will be challenging for my boy, not just the aquatics (which are hard enough), but the lack of a game/camaraderie/team-work of an individual sport will be hard for him on a psychic/emotion level. Same with something like cross-country, where he has the skills to run but "the loneliness of the long-distance runner" might kill him.

Not so happy to hear about the concussion risks. Drat. I did notice in a conversation I had at the pool when I mentioned avoiding football (partially for the same reason) the other person in the conversation had one of those looks where I could see they were fighting the impulse to disabuse me of the notion I was ending this sort of risk. 

Bill 

• Like 1

Yippie!

A box just arrived a little earlier than expected and in time for tonight's practice with a new water polo ball (Kap 7 Size 4 Yellow/Black), a pair of swim goggles, and a microscopic water polo speedo (actually a Turbo) with a California Republic flag style design.

Thank goodness he gets to wear the water polo suit, and not me :D

Bill

• Like 2

Yes, the speed swimming helps when the ball changes direction, for sure. My DS is in speed swimming now that waterpolo is done for us for exactly that reason.

Dramatic results about sums it up. I am amazed at DS's stamina and swim ability results in one season. Food bills might go up a bit. ;)

How long did it take for you kid to get strong in the pool. One season? I was thinking this could take many (many) years, but parents tell me it happens fast. I dunno.

Not that they don't continue to get stronger. I'm glad if we didn't start too late.

Bill

Water polo is huge here are well.  We have also heard that competitive swimming in the off season is required to keep up the strength & refine the speed & strokes.

Glad you found a sport to enjoy.  

The other less traditional biggie around here is ice hockey.  Talk about $$ 

Amber in SJ

Long ago, when Ted Turner televised the Goodwill Games, I looked around the office and no one was working. I asked loudly where everyone was and why they weren't working. Answer:  Water Polo was about to come on.

"Oh, Good," I said. "I can't wait to see how they get the horses in the pool!"

When I found out there were no horses involved, I returned to being the only person working.

I never lived that one down, to this day. (I keep in touch with some of my former coworkers from Turner.)

And I still don't know what water polo is. I'll go look it up.

Looked it up and it looks like a lot of fun.

Edited by RoughCollie
  • Like 1

Long ago, when Ted Turner televised the Goodwill Games, I looked around the office and no one was working. I asked loudly where everyone was and why they weren't working. Answer:  Water Polo was about to come on.

"Oh, Good," I said. "I can't wait to see how they get the horses in the pool!"

When I found out there were no horses involved, I returned to being the only person working.

I never lived that one down, to this day. (I keep in touch with some of my former coworkers from Turner.)

And I still don't know what water polo is. I'll go look it up.

Looked it up and it looks like a lot of fun.

LOL.

Bill

Water polo is huge here are well.  We have also heard that competitive swimming in the off season is required to keep up the strength & refine the speed & strokes.

Glad you found a sport to enjoy.  

The other less traditional biggie around here is ice hockey.  Talk about $$ 

Amber in SJ

Two summers ago I actually put my boy into a great intro to ice hockey program. No better "summer" sport in the very hot region of Los Angeles were we live than ice hockey. I'd wear shorts an t-shirts to the rink. Nice!

Same deal with the wife with that sport: "Hockey, really??? You do know that he can't skate, right?"

But he did great.

Unfortunately his hockey coach (who we really liked) was an impossible hot-head when dealing with adults and created so much drama with rink management that he got himself fired and that ended our hockey adventure.

Bill

Last week we saw the 12-14 year olds (who do conditioning practices after us) and those boys were ripped!

No kidding about that. My kid already has that sort of body (of the leaner rather than bulkier type) and I know he will enjoy taking it to a different level.

We have the info on possibly doing the HS novice team this summer. He passed the test and the coach said he'd welcome him on the team, but evidently it is hard to get a slot due to returning players. So we will see. If not the HS team, the club runs great teams.

HS coach did suggest (strongly) swim team in Spring. I think this will be challenging for my boy, not just the aquatics (which are hard enough), but the lack of a game/camaraderie/team-work of an individual sport will be hard for him on a psychic/emotion level. Same with something like cross-country, where he has the skills to run but "the loneliness of the long-distance runner" might kill him.

Not so happy to hear about the concussion risks. Drat. I did notice in a conversation I had at the pool when I mentioned avoiding football (partially for the same reason) the other person in the conversation had one of those looks where I could see they were fighting the impulse to disabuse me of the notion I was ending this sort of risk. 

Bill 

See, I think of swim as a pretty social sport. Swim meets are basically one big hang out session interrupted by brief moments of racing. Practices are maybe less so, but you're constantly grouped on the wall in between sets. 

The thing about concussion risks is all of these kids are starting to reach peak strength, but still have zero fear. It doesn't matter which sport. Unless he takes up badminton, it's going to be a risk. The same high school's other top concussion sport is girls' volleyball, go figure. A pitcher from another local school was seriously injured by a line drive to the skull. I can't really think of any team sports that aren't on the higher end of injuries/concussion risk.

• Like 2

If he is motivated and spends a LOT of the summer break in the water, I think at his age he will learn fast and develop stamina.

Now that said, as the mother of a collegian who took up swimming in anticipation of going into the Coast Guard post college graduation, all I can say is buckle down, prepare to cry, embrace the brokenness that will come with feeding that swimming machine!!

You need to keep the protein up as well as good fats such as avacado, coconut, nut butters ,etc. He will eat carbs by the ton, but burn through them so fast it will make your head spin.

Bakes potatoes with Greek yogurt, bacon crumbles, butter, and cheese is your friend for snacks. As in breakfast, second breakfast, elevensies, lunch, second lunch, mid afternoon tea, late afternoon tea, dinner, second dinner, and not quite midnight dinner.

May the Force be with you, may your paycheck last more than a day.

• Like 3

How long did it take for you kid to get strong in the pool. One season? I was thinking this could take many (many) years, but parents tell me it happens fast. I dunno.

Not that they don't continue to get stronger. I'm glad if we didn't start too late.

Bill

Yes, one season. He has improved his swimming ability and speed a massive amount. Even his waterpolo coach was surprised when coach's kid and my kid swam side by side on the first day of speed swimming this spring.

Prior to waterpolo last fall, my DS could aptly be compared to a manatee. Big, gentle creature who just kind of "hung out" in the water, not really moving much. Now, he actually swims quite well.

• Like 1

Yes, one season. He has improved his swimming ability and speed a massive amount. Even his waterpolo coach was surprised when coach's kid and my kid swam side by side on the first day of speed swimming this spring.

Prior to waterpolo last fall, my DS could aptly be compared to a manatee. Big, gentle creature who just kind of "hung out" in the water, not really moving much. Now, he actually swims quite well.

That is very encouraging.

Parents at the pool all say I'll be amazed by the progress kids make, so I'm optimistic. I'm already surprised that for a kid with minimal swim training that he is doing so well.

I'm liking this sport.

Bill

See, I think of swim as a pretty social sport. Swim meets are basically one big hang out session interrupted by brief moments of racing. Practices are maybe less so, but you're constantly grouped on the wall in between sets. 

The thing about concussion risks is all of these kids are starting to reach peak strength, but still have zero fear. It doesn't matter which sport. Unless he takes up badminton, it's going to be a risk. The same high school's other top concussion sport is girls' volleyball, go figure. A pitcher from another local school was seriously injured by a line drive to the skull. I can't really think of any team sports that aren't on the higher end of injuries/concussion risk.

I think it is the "contact" element. From babyhood, this has been a boy that loves contact. 

If you could get rid of the lane-lines, and perhaps were allowed to grab other swimmers by the ankles if they got ahead (or maybe had "sharks" in the pool who could attack the "minnows") THEN we'd have an appealing swim team :D

Bill 

I think it is the "contact" element. From babyhood, this has been a boy that loves contact. 

If you could get rid of the lane-lines, and perhaps were allowed to grab other swimmers by the ankles if they got ahead (or maybe had "sharks" in the pool who could attack the "minnows") THEN we'd have an appealing swim team :D

Bill 

SaveSaveHe's perfect for water polo!

• Like 1

This is why my dad wouldn't let me play the game. I was mad at the time, and later relieved.  :laugh:  Your son will learn to grow long toe nails and swim with several layers of tight, plastic swimsuits. 

• Like 1

If he does club swim, see if they offer any open water swim events.  No lane lines, frequent "incidental" contact, and general chaos of the best sense.

This is why my dad wouldn't let me play the game. I was mad at the time, and later relieved.  :laugh:  Your son will learn to grow long toe nails and swim with several layers of tight, plastic swimsuits. 

Punches, grabbing, and kicking seem OK in my book, but long toe-nails? Seems unsporting.

Bill

I grew up in California and played water polo in high school.  You are going to love it!  And your son, too.  

My only addition to the conversation, is that most of us wore two swimsuits.  I am pretty sure the guys did, too.  When I first started to play water polo, I thought the girls wore two swimsuits for some sort of fashion statement.  After a few games, I saw that suits can (and often do) get ripped under water, and having a double layer of protection was really important!!

Sounds like you are going to have a fun summer!!

Punches, grabbing, and kicking seem OK in my book, but long toe-nails? Seems unsporting.

Bill

Just keep in mind that the punching, grabbing and kicking are all happening to your sons while they are also learning how to swim stronger, and they are getting tired. If you are fine with them struggling through this on a regular basis, and they are fine with this, then more power to ya.

Personally, it drove me nuts to see all the blatant fouls not being called in my ds's basketball. But to know that all hell is going on underwater throughout a waterpolo game, I would not enjoy watching or supporting the sport. 

I do have a personal bias, though. Either the sport should have punching and kicking as a controlled part of it, like in martial arts and boxing, or the sport should have a net between the players, like in tennis, volleyball and badminton.  :laugh:

Edited by wintermom

I grew up in California and played water polo in high school.  You are going to love it!  And your son, too.  

My only addition to the conversation, is that most of us wore two swimsuits.  I am pretty sure the guys did, too.  When I first started to play water polo, I thought the girls wore two swimsuits for some sort of fashion statement.  After a few games, I saw that suits can (and often do) get ripped under water, and having a double layer of protection was really important!!

Sounds like you are going to have a fun summer!!

Two suits, who knew?

I did get him a Turbo WP suit (CA Republic design) and while "skimpy" it does seem very tough. Not like a lycra swim speedo.

I can't believe how much *I'm* getting into this game. Bummed a school concert is cutting into tonight's practice.

Should be a fun summer.

Bill

• Like 1

Hey Bill, you didn't starve yet??? There's still food in the house??? You must not be working that boy hard enough!!!

:D

Working on it :D

He is still shy of 13. The eating-us-out-of-house-and-home stage hasn't really started yet.

I remember that phase from my football playing days. Barren cupboards.

Bill

Just keep in mind that the punching, grabbing and kicking are all happening to your sons while they are also learning how to swim stronger, and they are getting tired. If you are fine with them struggling through this on a regular basis, and they are fine with this, then more power to ya.

Personally, it drove me nuts to see all the blatant fouls not being called in my ds's basketball. But to know that all hell is going on underwater throughout a waterpolo game, I would not enjoy watching or supporting the sport. 

I do have a personal bias, though. Either the sport should have punching and kicking as a controlled part of it, like in martial arts and boxing, or the sport should have a net between the players, like in tennis, volleyball and badminton.  :laugh:

When you put it that way...it somehow looks worse in print :D

Bill