Menu

so what can I use to flavor food

SparklyUnicorn

It sounds like his attitude and lack of helpfulness are a bigger problem than his actual dietary restrictions. I would never cook for someone under those circumstances. I'd buy a bunch of easy to make (as healthy as possible) food and have everyone serve themselves for his visit. Including him. He'll probably still complain but it's easier to listen to someone complain when you didn't just spend an hour preparing them a meal.

• Like 2

It sounds like his attitude and lack of helpfulness are a bigger problem than his actual dietary restrictions. I would never cook for someone under those circumstances. I'd buy a bunch of easy to make (as healthy as possible) food and have everyone serve themselves for his visit. Including him. He'll probably still complain but it's easier to listen to someone complain when you didn't just spend an hour preparing them a meal.

You got it.

maybe I'll set food out and leave to go eat at a restaurant.... :lol:  

• Like 2

herbs for flavoring

You can make sandwiches that do not involve high sodium deli meats and cheese. Hummus, vegetables, chicken salad, other salads - all of which you can make low or no added salt.

I made him this fresh herb and garlic mix with a bit of olive oil to flavor things.  He told me he could not have it due to one of his issues.  Phosphorus or potassium.  I can't remember.  He won't eat a vegetable sandwich.  He says many vegetables are out.  He says he can't have beans and won't eat them.  Too high in potassium or something.  

Chicken salad would work.  But like the tuna salad, he might eat that once and that'll be it. 

I made him up some nice coconut flavored rice.  I bought extra nice rice and really tried to flavor it up for him.  I even topped it with green onions.  Which...I don't ever buy onions so I really tried.  He ate one tiny portion and didn't want to eat the leftovers.  So it ended up in the trash.

He's being a jerk.  Really I just wanna cry to be honest. 

Right now I'm nearly hyperventilating trying to imagine what's for dinner.  I can't seem to get through to him that he needs to be less of an arse. 

If its your dad then just tell him to bring and prepare his own food .  My dad was a diabetic for years that never followed the diet.  He only ate diabetic food while he lived with me.  He hated healthy food.   When he lived with me he at what put out buft after moving out and just viisitn he would refuse to eat anything that was not fried/breaded and nasty.  SO I told my parents bring and prepare your own food while visiting.  WE don't eat that away.   

It works if your OK just letting your dad do his thing in your home.  I know others may have issues but I've had my parents live with me several times do to their poor health and financial decision  so they were comfortable in my kitchen.    

My dad died this past December and what I hate the most he could of lived longer had he gave a crap about his diet and not sat and watch TV all day for the past 20 years.  He just turn 70 he could of lived a lot longer he just couldn't give up his love of bad food and tryin to get the man out of his lazy chair was like trying to heard cats.  Not gonna happens

They cleaned up after themselves so big deal.  I would cook my familes food separate most of the time.  

Good luck with the visit.  My parent and my lifestyle were always different which caused issues but as I got older I just learn compromise and we can't change them

Try to enjoy dad's visit 

• Like 1

So some of the stuff you are talking about that "he doesn't eat leftovers" is things that lend themselves to leftovers. At least not in my house/family. Chicken salad, tuna salad, corn on the cob. Those are all one time meals for us. I don't consider myself that picky, but I couldn't do leftover tuna.

I would just think of simple meals, cook smallish portions, then have something that you know might not be healthy but he likes to round out for dessert if people are hungry. For my diabetic MIL, that's ice cream. She doesn't love my cooking, but it is what it is. I do my best, then she has ice cream if she is hungry.

Chicken salad, tuna salad, chicken/rice/salad, mealoaf/rice/salad, egg salad, chicken casserole. Just boring older people food.

• Like 1