Menu

WWE and FLL with dyslexia

My upcoming 7th grader is dyslexic. We are using Barton's and he is finally getting it but not fluent by any means.  I am considering WWE and FLL for him this coming year. I used these with a few of my older kids and we enjoyed them but it's been a while so I can't remember if it would be a good fit.  Anyone else use these resources with your dyslexic kids? I could scribe for him and he uses google docs with voice to do writing now. Thoughts?

Edited by Quiver0f10

What level of Barton is he on and are you using the fluency drills and other support material available to tutors through the website? You may have mentioned this in the other thread so I apologize if you did but I can't recall.

We are on the last lesson of book 4. We do use the support materials and he is doing well! I would not call him fluent as in he still reads slowly but we're working on it. Just not sure where to go next as far as writing and grammar. We have not done anything in addition to the Barton's. 

Edited by Quiver0f10

Oh, I see.  You are wanting to add writing and grammar to Barton?  Sorry, I'm slow.  :)

We used IEW coupled with Fix-It Grammar here.  I wish I could give you feedback on WWE with FLL.  I haven't used them with my dyslexic kiddos.  Hopefully someone else can chime in with better knowledge.  Good luck!  :)

• Like 1

Oh, I see.  You are wanting to add writing and grammar to Barton?  Sorry, I'm slow.   :)

We used IEW coupled with Fix-It Grammar here.  I wish I could give you feedback on WWE with FLL.  I haven't used them with my dyslexic kiddos.  Hopefully someone else can chime in with better knowledge.  Good luck!   :)

Thanks! I'm not sure what I want to use at this point. I have used IEW in the past and we didn't love it but I know it's recommended to use with Barton's. 

So far IEW and Fix-It have worked for my kids because they are systematic, they use existing writing to base the lesson on so they don't have to come up with their own right away (which can be really problematic for a dyslexic) and the lessons are usually short. 

But I am using IEW on a dry erase board and a friend with dysgraphia is also learning.  I think the group dynamic coupled with doing a lot of brainstorming on a dry erase board has made IEW more appealing.  We've had some fun lessons.

And Fix-It took a bit of getting used to but now that they know the system the lessons go very quickly and DD especially is applying what she is learning in her writing.   DS is only on book 1.  DD is on Book 3.  She never argues about lessons.  They make sense to her.

• Like 1