Menu

Need cute but comfy shoes that go with everything

whitestavern

You all are a wealth of information when it comes to just about everything, so I'm coming here first for ideas :)

We'll be traveling to Europe this summer. Hoping to not stick out too much as an American, I have purchased some cute skirts and casual dresses to wear around especially the cities we'll be in (Paris and Florence). Since I'll be walking a lot, I need the shoes to be comfortable. I will likely not wear stockings or socks, so they have to be comfortable worn with bare feet. Also, I want them to be cute, able to be dressy or casual depending on what I'm wearing. Bonus if they'll be somewhat cool! Besides hiking boots for Switzerland, these may be the only shoes I bring. I want to purchase them soon so I can break them in a bit before we go.

Any ideas? TIA!

• Like 2

I'd make sure that the shoes or sandals had really good support as you'll be pounding the pavement. You don't want to have your feet in agony at the end of every day. It's not as hot and humid in most of Europe as it can get in the US. Also the streets are crowded and you want some kind of protection for your feet so you don't stub your toes and/or get stepped on. 

In other words, no flip flops or cheap shoes. I would NOT recommend sketchers. I have a pair that seem nice and bouncy and supportive, but they are actually pretty crappy for support on long walks. The balls of my feet are sore, my toes cramp up and I'm in pain trying to walk in them now, after having them for a month. 

• Like 2

I had a pair of black leather loafers by Ecco that would have been perfect for that.  They were super comfortable with kind of a rubbery sole so I could walk miles in them.  I never wore them with socks, and they looked good with shorts, pants, or skirts.  I don't think they make that exact style anymore, but they were somewhat similar to these:

https://www.shoes.com/ecco-aimee-sport-slip-on/766877/1618136?cm_mmc=googleproductads_pla_with_promotion-_-none-_-none-_-none

The style I had was a tad dressier looking though, a little less clunky.  But they give you an idea.

These are cute too:

http://www.zappos.com/p/keds-crashback-leather-black-leather/product/8547734/color/72

Vionic is a brand of cute shoes for people with foot problems and they'll work for people with normal feet.  I wear them because of my plantar faciitis. They have excellent arch support and shock absorbing in the heels.  

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_6?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vionic+shoes+for+women&sprefix=vionic%2Caps%2C202&crid=3GL4WHJJCVSEN

Hoping to not stick out too much as an American,

There was a whole thread on this a few months ago. I think you are going to "stick out" as being American the minute you open your mouth, and perhaps long before that if you don't look Italian (wearing high heels and Italian clothing) or French (high heels and French designer clothing). You'll be in tourist locations, taking photos, etc. Yes, you will look like the tourist you are. So be a tourist with comfortable shoes who doesn't have to sit in a cafe all day because her feet are killing her.  :laugh:

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 7

I would NOT recommend sketchers. I have a pair that seem nice and bouncy and supportive, but they are actually pretty crappy for support on long walks. The balls of my feet are sore, my toes cramp up and I'm in pain trying to walk in them now, after having them for a month.

Skechers got me through walking six miles a day in college! And I have really high arches. They're still my go-to walking shoe. I guess everyone is different.

• Like 1

Skechers got me through walking six miles a day in college! And I have really high arches. They're still my go-to walking shoe. I guess everyone is different.

I think the quality of the soles might have changed, and there are a variety of styles. The ones I have are junk, along with so many cheap running shoes these days. They don't make shoes to last like they used to. 

I've taken trips similar to yours about once a year for quite a few years now. I feel like I've got a good system for packing. We take three carry on suitcases for the four of us and each of has two pairs of shoes. We do a ton of walking and try to blend in.  Funny story - A few years ago DH, DD, and I were walking around Paris at night and a man on a bicycle stopped DH and asked him for directions in French! I felt like we were doing a good job of blending in.

I like Danskos. They are great quality and last forever.

I'm taking these and these on when we leave for Scotland in the morning.  The first pair is a bit dressier but can go with anything from casual slacks to nice dresses. The second pair is a bit more sporty but would still look nice with a casual skirt.

My DD is taking these and these with orthopedic inserts.

I recommend wearing the shoes for about a week solid to get them broken in. Keep in mind that if there's any troubles with them before you go on your trip they'll be worse there. Feet tend to swell on planes too so that could be a problem if they are too tight. 

Bon voyage!

I think the quality of the soles might have changed, and there are a variety of styles. The ones I have are junk, along with so many cheap running shoes these days. They don't make shoes to last like they used to. 

This is the truth!

We have started buying shoes at places like the Walking Company and our local shoe store because they sell good shoes. I've also decided that we are going to pay about $120 per pair of shoes because it seems like that's what good shoes cost these days.  It's a bit of sticker shock when I have to go back to school shoe shopping for DD and buy her two pairs of shoes.

I have several pairs of Skechers - they are my "go-to" brand. I wear them to work in the hospital and they haven't failed me yet! 

The thing I noticed with Skechers is that they are great on paved sidewalks. But on trails or rockier ground (like many parks trails have) I feel every stone. The soles are too thin for that kind of walking.

Keene, Merrells, Dansko (not thick-soled clogs but sandals), and the like work great. I've given up on cheap shoes. My dh and I have $300 shoes we have worn and loved for 25 years. That turns out to be a much better deal than cheap shoes, really. And happier feet along the way.

I'd want a pair or two of Earthies flats--they are very cushy, just supportive enough, and quite durable.  I'd probably get black or charcoal and red.

And I'd want sandals.  My faves are water shoes, and Teva's fit me best--far better than Keen's or Chacos.  You really do benefit from trying these on to see which ones suit your feet.  My husband loves Chacos and hates Teva's.  REI is a great place to try some on, and has the best return policies that I know of.  Fit Flops are also extremely comfortable, but don't have an ankle strap, so they are just a tad less secure.

I took a beige pair of 'super-sock' Skechers to Europe for 8 weeks and only one other dressy pair but I probably shouldn't have bothered with the dressy ones. I wore them probably 5 times.

The beige matched everything I wore and looked good, I think. Prob helps that I was in Holland, and people there tend to wear sensible shoes...comfort over all else.

Edited by Isabella