Menu

Jane Austen for Kids

arwen521

My daughter is nearing the end of her 3rd grade year. She's a voracious reader and has read just about everything on the recommended literature list for her school year. Some have been the actual classics, but some have been those geared towards children as recommended in "The Well Trained Mind".

Jane Austen is my favorite and it's listed on her recommendations but the language is too high for my daughter to really follow and enjoy. Has anyone found a good abridgment geared to children for any of her works?

I would not read Austen in 3rd grade. So much of the nuances of the language and the cultural context of the stories will be missed at that age. There's also some issues such as marital affairs that I would want to wait on.

Does Barnes and Noble Abridge Austen?

I loved the Abridged and then the regular Dickens at that age. I believe I did Oliver Twist and A Christmas Carol both abridged and regular around that age.

• Like 2

My daughter asked to read Pride and Predjudice and I told her NO WAY because she'd miss the best parts of it and either end up finding it boring or (maybe even worse) thinking she understood it while missing out on the best parts.

Emily

My dd enjoyed listening to me read Jane Austen aloud, but only after a couple of years of periodically watching the BBC vids. I'd either do that or leave it until she's old enough to read the original.

Nah. Definitely watch the vids. Ds used to make me dance with him during the ball scenes.  :001_wub:

There's no way to run out of good books for this age. If she's really read all the great children's classics already (though... really? All of them?) then there are always great books that are more recent. To be well read is to have read older and newer things.

Just to clarify, the recommended list I'm referring to is the one for her grade level in "A Well Trained Mind" that tries to stick to the time period from history that she's learning about. Hope that helps clarify. I was really surprised Austen was on the list and just wondered if any other moms had found a good version.

I took her recommendation for Austen at that level to mean her poetry. I have a kindle version and Austen is listed between Blake, Wordsworth, and Tennyson. I just created my book list for next year and was not familiar with her poetry.

• Like 2

I guess we could pull out our WTM and see. I don't remember seeing the JA novels listed, and that would be pretty absurd for 3rd/4th. If you want to challenge her, you might consider adapted Shakespeare instead. She's probably just finishing up Medieval. My dd really enjoyed the Oxford comic book Shakespeare series around that age. VP sells it. She could also begin studying opera. Bulla has a number of opera story books and also the book by Fiery is excellent. 

At the Opera: Ann Fiery, Peter Malone: 9780811827744: Amazon.com: Books

My dd was an avid, avid reader (which I assume you are from your name, hehe). I kept her in books with TruthQuest, VP, etc. 

• Like 1