Menu

Starting over again

kimi_b

I've homeschooled for 13 years now with my oldest graduated and another in high school.  I have a newly turned 5 year old as well though and I'll be starting all over with him in kindergarten in the coming months.
My question is that many of the books I used with my older kids that I absolutely loved have been changed.  
I have an old edition of FIrst Language Lesson, but now I note that there are 3  books?  How do they compare to the 2 year original?
I used TWTM for my older kids, but my version is the 2004 one.  For those who have used this, or the older, as well as the newer editions, should I invest in another or just keep doing what works?

Thanks!
kimi

I plan to just keep doing what works. I use the 2nd and 3rd editions in my house. I never used FLL. I just used Rod and Staff and stuck with that. I have checked out the 4th edition from the library to look at differences, and I think that will continue to be ok for me.  Even when I know the new recommendations before I buy something I often just use recommendations from the older editions because I can get them used online and therefore pretty cheap. 

I will be starting over just like you. When my ydd turns 5 I will have a senior and a sophomore in high school. I saved all of my Rod and Staff texts and tons of other stuff for her, plus I have been given a lot of hand me downs of older versions of stuff from friends for her when they have outgrown things. I can't see buying new just to buy the latest versions if I know something will work fine. I will have to replace my Memoria Press Latin books for her because they are all paperback and after two kids most of those are completely torn up though! 

• Like 1

Rod and Staff is still highly recommended. SWB did write a 3&4 of FLL that are awesome. And she's coming out with a middle grades grammar program his fall.

But R&S will get the job done. My kids just complain that it's dry.

I believe the biggest reason for updating TWTM is to offer replacements for our-of-print items. The process, however, is the same.

FLL actually has more than 3 books now. I'm still using the old combined levels 1 and 2 book with my little ones. :) Now levels 1 and 2 have been split into separate volumes and slightly updated to mesh better with Writing With Ease, and FLL levels 3 and 4 joined the ranks with workbooks and TMs.

Writing With Ease is WTM-style writing done for you. There's a hardback instructor text if you want to do the same skills with books you're already reading, or you can choose to go with the workbooks that do it all for you. (I'm still running my little people on WTM-style made up as I go along, from all those years of doing this before WWE existed.)

I would definitely pick up a newer WTM book! Welcome back to the journey. :)

Edited by SilverMoon