Menu

Another Speed Queen question!

school17777

I may have to replace my washer that works fine, but the bearings need replaced. If we do that ourselves, it will cost $200. We are trying to decide to go for it, or just buy a new machine. If we try it and it doesn't work, we are out $200 that could have gone towards a new machine. Hence the decision we need to make.

Anyway, if we decide to go ahead and buy a new one, I want a Speed Queen because of you guys. I am trying to decide between a top loader and a front loader. The only reason for a front loader is because my back sometimes goes out and when it does, the only way I can do the laundry is to sit on a stool to move the clothes from the washer to the dryer. I haven't had a top loader in years, but I am guessing that it would be difficult for me to get the clothes out of a top loader when my back isn't working. Anybody with a back bad have a preference on which washer works for them? Top or front?

I don't have a bad back.

If I bought a front loader, no question it would be a Speed Queen.  After all, they are developed for laundrymats and are real workhorses.

But I don't want one because of the way the door seal seems to stink up on them for everyone that has one, and also, how do you get the water out without a flood if the machine malfunctions?  Just not interested in risking that.

I never had a Speed Queen - only heard about it here. I have a front loader and squatting down is okay for me. I do have a lower back issue.

We live in a hot summer, mild winter area and I leave the washer door ajar so it airs out. I have never had the stinky seal conundrum. If I did I'd use vinegar on it.

I think most of the front loaders are designed for the water to drain toward the back if something malfunctions and agitation stops. I can stop my front loader and add clothing without flooding my laundry room.

I would get the top loader. They just seem to have fewer issues. I think some will depend how tall you are though. I am around 5'9 and actually think front loaders are far worse on my back, but I have arthritis in my knees so I can't squat either. It's a lot of bending over for me. If you do get a top loader, you could always get a rubber coated hook on a pole of some sort and just use it to pull the clothes out when your back gives. (We actually have one like that to catch chickens with! You could probably find one at a feed store.)

But I just did a load of laundry in my SQ top loader after reading this thread and I paid attention to how much bending I was doing between machines. The front loading dryer by far seems to require more out of my back: movement wise, reaching in, etc. But I think it's going to be very height dependent.

I would get the top loader. They just seem to have fewer issues. I think some will depend how tall you are though. I am around 5'9 and actually think front loaders are far worse on my back, but I have arthritis in my knees so I can't squat either. It's a lot of bending over for me. If you do get a top loader, you could always get a rubber coated hook on a pole of some sort and just use it to pull the clothes out when your back gives. (We actually have one like that to catch chickens with! You could probably find one at a feed store.)

But I just did a load of laundry in my SQ top loader after reading this thread and I paid attention to how much bending I was doing between machines. The front loading dryer by far seems to require more out of my back: movement wise, reaching in, etc. But I think it's going to be very height dependent.

My stool is about a foot high, so I sit on that to get my clothes from the washer to the dryer and then again from the dryer, so I am not bending or squatting with my current front loader and dryer because of the stool. I am just afraid with a top loader that I will not be able to do laundry myself when I have back problems.

I always keep a grabber in the laundry room for when my back goes out. It's sturdy enough to lift the wet clothes and I just transfer them directly into the dryer. It's also long enough to reach into the dryer to pull out the clothes when dry.

• Like 1

You all amaze me. If laundry caused me as much trouble as it does so many (I had no use) I'd be inclined toward ... naturism. :::dh heads off to break washer::::

I have a Speed Queen top loader. LOVE IT!!!

How often does your back go out? Would your children be able to switch up the laundry when you're unable?

My back has been good to go for a couple of years, but I had a couple of years where it wasn't good and there is no guarantee that it won't go out again.

We soon will only have one kid around, and with busy schedules, laundry would be tough to get done if I had to rely on a kid (or dh) to help me move it from the washer to the dryer. I only do the youngest's laundry now, so the older kids (and only one home now) does her own.

I have no never considered a grabber to help pull things out of the washer. That might be a solution!

I can't offer advice on your specific question, but keep in mind that our SQ dealer mentioned that because of government regs, all non-commercial SQ had to have computerized water settings (temperature and levels) as of January 2016.  So you might want to look into a commercial washer or a pre-2016 model instead.

I agree with this; my front loading dryer requires more of my back than my top-loader washer.

I can't offer advice on your specific question, but keep in mind that our SQ dealer mentioned that because of government regs, all non-commercial SQ had to have computerized water settings (temperature and levels) as of January 2016. So you might want to look into a commercial washer or a pre-2016 model instead.

Phooey! If we end up having to replace our current washer, dh will want to get a new one, not a used one.