Menu

Do food allergies just turn up?

Wilma

My Dh developed an allergy to peanuts as an adult.  I developed allergies to limes and to something called dragon fruit as an adult and ever since yesterday afterenoon, I have been suffering from hives and angioderma at times and it appears that I have just suddeny become allergic to a few things like the laundry detergent and elastic (is that rubber?).  Two of my kids developed anaphylactic reactions to strawberries and the youngest also to citrus. She can accidently eat a little citrus and have a milder reaction.  If she inhales citrus like people peeling oranges, spraying citrus scented hairspray, citrus scented cleaning products, etc, etc., she gets severe anaphylactic reactions.

Oh dear. That's unfortunate. 

Allergies are just your body's way of letting you know it's headed into unhealthy territory. Treat it like a warning sign that you need to look hard at diet that is putting your body under stress and load. Mostly the culprits are grains, dairy, or sugars (all types). These have the ability to put the body's homeostasis out of whack, and although you don't react badly to them, they are usually the underlying causes. Your body can deal with it for years and keep homeostasis, but then, often suddenly, it gives up. Basically throws it's hands in the air and says 'I'm over dealing with this!' . A bit like a bad marriage!

Once you have one allergy, it's very likely that unless you make dietary changes (removing grains, dairy, sugars), other allergies will pop up. Yes, you can 'grow out of them', but only when your body finds homeostasis again.

ETA. Drinking enough water is another thing essential for allergies.

Um. Nope.

Allergies are not caused by a bad diet. They are an immune response, sometimes to the otherwise healthiest of foods.

• Like 3

Um. Nope.

Allergies are not caused by a bad diet. They are an immune response, sometimes to the otherwise healthiest of foods.

My allergies are all to raw fruits, vegetables, and shellfish. I guess my body must be telling me to just say f*** it and order a pizza. :lol:

• Like 7

This food allergy stuff is so weird to me because growing up (I'll be 49 next month) you NEVER heard anything about food allergies.  Now it seems like there are so many dangerous food allergies to all types of different healthy foods.  

I do remember my niece having an allergy to strawberries, but she would just break out in a small rash on her body.  You never heard back then about people's airway closing up etc... So scary!

This food allergy stuff is so weird to me because growing up (I'll be 49 next month) you NEVER heard anything about food allergies.  Now it seems like there are so many dangerous food allergies to all types of different healthy foods.  

I do remember my niece having an allergy to strawberries, but she would just break out in a small rash on her body.  You never heard back then about people's airway closing up etc... So scary!

I'm 50 and grew up with children allergic to bee stings, strawberries; my uncle was allergic to grass as a child, and my dad had hay fever. It's nothing new. I don't remember anyone having their own epinephrine, though, so times were scarier back then.

There is more information available now, certainly, but not just in the area of allergies. 

Edited by wintermom

I'm 50 and grew up with children allergic to bee stings, strawberries; my uncle was allergic to grass as a child, and my dad had hay fever. It's nothing new. I don't remember anyone having their own epinephrine, though, so times were scarier back then.

There is more information available now, certainly, but not just in the area of allergies. 

Yes, I have hay fever, as do many in my family and this region.  It's just that I rarely heard of any food allergies back in the day.

My Dh developed an allergy to peanuts as an adult. I developed allergies to limes and to something called dragon fruit as an adult and ever since yesterday afterenoon, I have been suffering from hives and angioderma at times and it appears that I have just suddeny become allergic to a few things like the laundry detergent and elastic (is that rubber?). Two of my kids developed anaphylactic reactions to strawberries and the youngest also to citrus. She can accidently eat a little citrus and have a milder reaction. If she inhales citrus like people peeling oranges, spraying citrus scented hairspray, citrus scented cleaning products, etc, etc., she gets severe anaphylactic reactions.

They elastic might be latex

Yes, I have hay fever, as do many in my family and this region.  It's just that I rarely heard of any food allergies back in the day.

Lookiing back, I didn't hear of it as a "Food allergy" But I realize that the guy who ate water on his cereal must have had a problem with dairy that was just not mentioned as such.  I think it was talked about differently. But people definitely avoided foods even then.

I am currently on three different kinds of antihistamines and steroids to try to get my immune system calmed down enough that we can do allergy testing-I've had severe hives for several months that have been non-responsive to lower doses. So, a couple of months to hopefully let my immune system heal and then figure out what the heck is setting this off. The saving grace is that usually allergies that set off severe chronic hives don't go anaphylactic. And that apparently three antihistamines is enough to keep hay fever at bay.