Menu

Norton Anthology of writing with online code ?

Hilltopmom

Ds needs his first textbook with code for his summer Eng 101 class.

Norton anthology of writing with code. Ugh. I'm cheap. Could totally grab this used on Amazon for dirt cheap if he doesn't need the code.

Can kids ask professors in first class if they really need the online code or not, or does that look bad?

(No reviews on rate my prof & he doesn't know anyone who took it with this prof in the past)

Summer class will move fast so I don't want to leave him hanging without the book, but I don't wanna spend $75 if we can spend $5 instead, kwim

I'd buy a hard copy used for cheap now so he'll have something to mark up. It's just easier to pull quotes from a physical book than it is from a digital file. Then I'd have him ask the first day of class if they're going to use the code and buy it immediately if you need it. There's no lead time on website access so he won't get behind.

• Like 1

I'd buy a hard copy used for cheap now so he'll have something to mark up. It's just easier to pull quotes from a physical book than it is from a digital file. Then I'd have him ask the first day of class if they're going to use the code and buy it immediately if you need it. There's no lead time on website access so he won't get behind.

I think you can buy the code by itself, yes?

The bookstore has the set of book plus code.

I couldn't find it (the code) by itself on Amazon, got overwhelmed, & gave up.

Shoot, class starts this week, maybe I don't have time anymore to get a used copy online. I thought I had another week still. Helps to actually look at my calendar on occasion.

Edited by Hilltopmom

Usually the publisher sells the codes directly. Our local CC often lists the direct link to buy the access code without going through a middleman. Do you have access to the syllabus yet to see if the instructor included the link?

Tomorrow. Good to know, thanks

He could also e-mail the professor to ask.  I would be happy to hear from a student motivated enough to care about getting the book before the first day of class.

We've done this with lots of classes where buying used would be a significant price break. Some classes really needed the code and some didn't The most helpful professor emailed a couple of weeks before the semester started and told students they didn't need the code and were welcome to buy used as long as it was the current edition or one back. I found that extremely considerate!

• Like 1