Menu

"Get 'er done" grammar suggestions?

DD has a strong natural sense of grammar and language, and we're going to have our hands full grappling with some other issues, at least through the first year or two of high school. Grammar isn't where I want to put a lot of mental and emotional energy, but I also don't want it to fall by the wayside completely. Can anyone suggest some grammar programs that are not terribly difficult or time-consuming but that still have us moving forward? 

Thanks!

After I finished formal grammar study with my dd, I had her use SAT/ACT prep books as review. I'll do the same with ds. 

That's an excellent idea!

I also agree w/ Julie.... I was thinking Barbarian Diagrammarian would be a fun way to review & wrap up any loose ends, but tou don't necessarily need to do grammar formally in high school. Was there some reason you wanted to do it?  If not, using SAT/ACT prep books as review might be ideal!

For us, Rod and Staff. Most of the time dd just reads the lesson with no written work. It reminds her of rules and keeps it fresh. If she has any questions on it, or isn't sure she has it, we do the oral drill aloud. If there is a workbook page, she does that, but there isn't one for every lesson. Starting next year, we will skip any composition work, as she will be doing other programs for writing, but she can still read through them rather quickly. 

How many hours of homework for this class?

Our schedule is overwhelming next year, but this kid really needs a grammar class.

We haven't done that particular class ourselves; I've heard & read good reviews of it &, coming from Lukeion, it's bound to be solid and serious about grammar. Since we haven't personally used it, I was only throwing it out there as something _I_ would look into if I had an older student needing a short, but thorough grammar review.

I'll ask my friend if she remembers how long her student spent on it and post back her if she does.  Maybe start a thread asking for others' experience.

• Like 1

Both of my kids needed a refresher this year, so we used Rod & Staff and did the classroom exercises orally and diagrammed sentences on white boards. We usually kept it to about 20 minutes, 3-5 days a week. It was a good refresher for me too.  :thumbup:

I use Analytical Grammar. It is high school level with 3 flexible schedules so to spread the content between 1 and 3 years. I start this in 6th or 7th. I have even seen it for college grammar.  Lessons could realistically be taught more quickly if the student is grasping the information to possibly skip some of the practice sections for the units. I like this because it is crystal clear and concise. The point is to make grammar useful, not make a career out of it.

https://www.analyticalgrammar.com/our-products/analytical-grammar/

These books are also available through Amazon and  CBD.

• Like 2

I use Analytical Grammar. It is high school level with 3 flexible schedules so to spread the content between 1 and 3 years. I start this in 6th or 7th. I have even seen it for college grammar. Lessons could realistically be taught more quickly if the student is grasping the information to possibly skip some of the practice sections for the units. I like this because it is crystal clear and concise. The point is to make grammar useful, not make a career out of it.

https://www.analyticalgrammar.com/our-products/analytical-grammar/

These books are also available through Amazon and CBD.

We also used this during middle school. My son did not like the program at the time, but he has thanked me many times for making him do it. The info really stuck with him, and we did not do any review or practice during high school.

Growing with Grammar, definitely has been a gettin' done one for us. I suggest you look at the scope and sequence to determine which level. Likely no lower than 6. She could knockout levels 6-8 in 2 years or 7 & 8 in 1 - 1 1/2, depending on your pacing. It is a semi-spiral format.

There's also an extra diagramming book if that's a struggle.

Easy to grade and implement. I like it better than R & S in the simpler explanations, plus it's so directly written to the student. R&S had too many practice problems IMO.

Online courses in grammar are available at Excelsior and/or Big River Academy.

I love this idea. Can you give a link to the prep books you use?

And thank you!

I can't find the exact grammar books she used, but it was a few years ago. I just did a search for SAT/ACT grammar books when I found it. I tried to buy books which had good reviews. 

She did an SAT prep class online with this teacher.  http://www.woodsidelc.com/

She used this ACT prep book.  

• Like 1