Menu

Oldest just graduated - a few thoughts on homeschooling him

I worried a lot - A LOT over the years I homeschooled my oldest 2 kids. The stress started early when a friend's husband who was an elementary school teacher said you could really "mess up" your kid if you chose the wrong handwriting program. What?! I apparently had chosen the wrong one. My sister's kids were in one of the best elementary schools in the state, and I couldn't help feeling insecure about the education my kids were receiving from me (that apparently lacked all the latest info on technology, etc.). I was inspired by The Well Trained Mind, but with 4 kids, I just didn't have the time to create my own science curriculum and keep up with all the notebooks and difficult reading lists. I tried Latin with my oldest for about 4 months until I just couldn't keep up and he (we) started getting lost. So, I threw out the classical model. Looking back, I realize I lost quite a bit of sleep and gained quite a few gray hairs worrying that I was ruining my children by keeping them home. I felt so inadequate that I decided it would be best to enroll him in public high school starting as a freshman.

Fast forward 4 years and he just graduated this past weekend Summa Cum Laude as a National Merit Scholar with a full scholarship to our state university looking to major in engineering. Unbelievable!! How much did my homeschooling him play a part in all of it? I think quite a bit - but not for the reasons I thought would matter. I don't think the curriculum I chose mattered all that much or how many hours/days we spent homeschooling. The bottom line is that teaching him got me involved in his education. Even when he went to public school, I kept up with what was going on in his classes. I checked out his grades online and stayed on top of him to do his best and earn As. I had him practice the SAT early, and the summer/fall before the PSAT, I researched the best study books and made sure he took lots of practice tests to prepare. I always made sure he had plenty of novels to read and plenty of time to read them. I honestly don't think I did a great job homeschooling him, but I was successful at staying involved in his education.

I should also mention that I was even more concerned when my second child went to public high school. I remember trying several spelling programs with her bc she simply couldn't spell - even 5 letter words tripped her up at times. As a middle schooler, she mispronounced the word watch (said it like batch), and I was horrified! You can imagine how much sleep I lost over that (what other words does she not know??!!). Well, she just finished her sophomore year, and she has taken every AP class they'll allow and earned straight As on every report card. Her teachers adore her - she even won the AP Chemistry award just a few days ago. So unbelievable! She still can't spell, but apparently, it doesn't matter all that much. She studies constantly bc she loves learning, and she always has a novel in her hands (even when we go to the grocery store!) Again, I felt like a failure most of the time (and still do with my younger kids), but I'm involved! My husband and I encourage a love of reading and learning - and I'm convinced that's what really matters in the long run.

- Just wanted to offer a little encouragement to those of you who dropped Latin or classical teaching, who feel like failures, and who are horrified when your children don't know things that seem like common sense. They're going to be OK because they have moms/dads who will stay involved in their education regardless of who's teaching them. And that's what really matters.

Edited by creekmom
  • Like 28

- Just wanted to offer a little encouragement to those of you who dropped Latin or classical teaching, who feel like failures,  and who are horrified when your children don't know things that seem like common sense.  They're going to be OK because they have moms/dads who will stay involved in their education regardless of who's teaching them.  And that's what really matters.

Thank you so very much for sharing creekmom!  :001_wub:

The bolded...sigh, still worries me a lot! Thank you for the huge boost of faith.

• Like 2

Love this post. There's so little real feedback when homeschooling; it's hard to tell if you're doing a good job until many years down the road. It's great to hear how your oldest has turned out. Thanks for sharing and congratulations to all of you on his success. May it continue through college and throughout his life.

• Like 4

Thank you so much for sharing this.

My 28 year old finally got around to thanking me for homeschooling her a few days ago--but definitely not for the reasons I had expected!

• Like 3

I don't think the curriculum I chose mattered all that much or how many hours/days we spent homeschooling. The bottom line is that teaching him got me involved in his education. Even when he went to public school, I kept up with what was going on in his classes. I checked out his grades online and stayed on top of him to do his best and earn As.  

Thank you for posting this.  I remember when my kids were in elementary especially I was insecure about their science.  Every time I happened upon a mom with kids in regular school I would ask what their kids were doing for science, just to see how I compared.  

The most common answer I received from these moms was essentially: "I don't know."  

I remember being at a dinner party where another family was despairing that their student hadn't turned in any homework assignments all semester and no one from the school had bothered to tell them that.  I couldn't believe it. It just never occurred to me as a homeschooler, that one wouldn't know what their student was up to.  

I've been so glad to know exactly what my kids are learning and how well.  

• Like 4