Menu

Accountability Thread: 5/21-5/27

Back to school this week. The boys are ready. Both of them complained that they couldn't get their creative writing done without the pressure of school to motivate them. I on the other hand...

Sigh.

Today I will put together the weekly plan, cook some hamburgers, finish my critiques, write and watch a hockey game later if there is one. There should be. Pens and Ottawa, I think.

• Like 4

I will do nothing today if at all possible because I don't feel well.  I won't even cook unless absolutely necessary, I will relax and rest as much as possible and let my stomach settle.  I'm so looking forward to our last week next week.  We'll take two weeks off completely and then do some math, reading and game playing, in between that, we'll do some projects around the house.  I'm going to take the week oldest is at camp to get his lessons planned and try to preread a few of his books.

• Like 4

I'm pretty sure this is the final summer plan.

We'll do a four day week

I've set four break weeks (one in June, two in July and one in August)

Latin-continue with Second Form Latin (plan to get through pronouns) This should be more than enough grammar for the summer, right?

Math-CLE, just mow on through

Poetry-Finish up Grammar of Poetry and read through the poems listed in the appendix. I have to say, if you are looking for a poetry for boys program, this is it. My kids do not like poetry, but I make them do it, because rabid writer.

Literature-I wanted Shakespeare this year, but I'm going to do a single book study instead, and it's going to be something I like. We'll do The Hobbit. I've got the MP guides, and that book is one of my favorites, and I might even make honey cakes.

History-We always do Arkansas State History in summer term. I will probably insist of continuing to work on outlining chapters over the summer, and composing narrations from those outlines.

Science- I'm going to let the boys pick topics from the library, videos or books and let them study at will

Logic-We can hit this two to three times a week in the summer and get through Art of Argument.

Art-We should continue with drawing and painting this summer.

• Like 5

Pens/Sens was a blowout. Hoping for a good game between Ducks/Preds tonight.

Today's schedule:

Latin-Third Form Latin, lesson 14, watch video, worksheets 1, 2

Math-CLE 702 Lesson 1

Poetry-Grammar of Poetry Lesson 18 Hyperbole

Literature- MP Literature guide-Intro the the Hobbit, read Chapter 1, Comprehension questions

History-Arkansas History for Young People Ch 1, outline a section

Logic-Art of Argument-Fight Fair! Read, discuss, questions

For me: Latin, Geometry, Poetry. I'm going to try to start working through Beowulf this summer, but I might not get to it. That's okay. Housekeeping-one room, Writing-I have a major scene to edit and rewrite today.

• Like 5

Today's schedule is piano and i've not put anything else on the list yet.  I'm sure we'll do some spanish as he loves doing it on the laptop and I know somehow, someway math will get done and I think we'll call it a day after that.  I actually have some great summer plans now, if I can discipline myself enough to get them done, lol.

• Like 4

Back from two weeks in Europe, and I brought a college graduate home with me :)

We have a lot to do to get him situated.
ETA: He starts grad school in the fall but will live at home.

Classes are dropping off for the 10th grader, thank goodness. AP Comp Govt is done, English is done, Russian ends this week. We can FINALLY focus on Chemistry. We are now doubling up, doing lab in the morning and problem sets in the afternoon.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 5

Good morning.

Today's schedule:

Latin-keep working on lesson 14, major vocab review today

Math-lesson 2

Poetry-keep working on hyperbole (which might kill us--or me)

Literature-keep working with chapter 1, poetry study.

Science-self directed (pick something and learn about it)

Art-prepare drawings for Thursday

For me: Latin, Geometry (I didn't forget everything!),Writing, Kitchen cleaning, Writers' Meeting

• Like 5

Jean - I hope the appointment is useful and positive

Penguin - that sounds like so much fun. Good luck with the settling in

Critter - I'm so in awe of your study schedule.

We had a surprise visit to urgent care last night after a kiddo had an allergic reaction. Messed up our night a little bit and it took me a long time to unwind after we got home so I ended up sleeping in this morning. Little bit of school going on now. We are making our own tangrams and listening/narrating. I might run out and get ds the next books in his series. Turns out he is "racing" his friend through reading it.

We really have to restart math more seriously but I can't even figure out what my goal is to be accountable for it. I guess my goal for today is to figure out an approach.

• Like 3

Cardiologist report: this doc was a major answer to prayer. He was appalled at the lack of communication from the previous doctor and apologized profusely even though it wasn't his fault. Dd's heart issues are both benign and don't appear to be the cause of her symptoms. He advised that we go to a pulmonologist next. He explained things thoroughly and took a lot of time with us. And he got my sense of humor.

• Like 5

Cardiologist report: this doc was a major answer to prayer. He was appalled at the lack of communication from the previous doctor and apologized profusely even though it wasn't his fault. Dd's heart issues are both benign and don't appear to be the cause of her symptoms. He advised that we go to a pulmonologist next. He explained things thoroughly and took a lot of time with us. And he got my sense of humor.

Jean, yay for a doctor who can communicate with compassion.

And benign is my absolute favorite word.

• Like 5

Morning ladies!  not sure what the day holds for us, youngest has an ortho.  appointment, actually 2, his first is for his molds and then he moves right in to get his braces on.  I'm hoping we make it to our mid-week service tonight.  The older will work on his math and latin, hoping to get spanish and piano practice with the younger.

• Like 5

Good morning!

Today's schedule:

Latin-continue lesson 14, worksheet and review 

Math-lesson 3

Poetry-lesson 19 Dactyl

Literature-Chapter 2, vocabulary, questions, so forth. May be scaling this back because of the incessant squeaking

History-reading, outline a section

Logic-reading, questions

For me: Latin, Geometry, Writing, Housekeeping, Pizza night

• Like 3

Dd is being evaluated for mono today. I think it is a good step before we look at other more specialized doctors.

I haven't been here in a while, it was stressing me out. But I've been reading the thread the last few weeks and thinking accountable thoughts. :)

I just had to jump on here to say to Jean that's a good idea to check for mono. I had mono when I was a kid and it took weeks to get a diagnosis. They almost took my appendix out "just in case" because they couldn't figure out what was wrong with me! I hope you get some answers!

And, while I'm here, congratulations Cadence Sophia on your new baby! :hurray:

• Like 4

Good morning!

Today's schedule:

Latin-continue lesson 14, worksheet and review 

Math-lesson 4

Poetry-lesson 19 Dactyl continued

Literature-Chapter 2, vocabulary, questions, continued

Science-self directed

Art-painting

For me-Latin, Geometry, Writing, Housekeeping, Library

I'm going to be adjusting the schedule to deal with the day length. I really need my three-to-five space for writing, and things are dragging a little bit in the afternoons.

• Like 5

Good morning Critter!  How are the puppies?  Do you think you could post some pictures?  I'm feeling a bit blue today and pictures of cute animals always raises my spirits.  Our schedule for today is

relax

spanish

music practice

deciding if i'm going to buy something in BYOB sale

lite housekeeping

working on our summer plans (beginning in two weeks)

Edited by mama25angels
  • Like 1

The puppies are fine, but I'm not sure I could post pictures. My internet connection speed is so bad, it takes me about three minutes to download a picture, and I can't imagine trying to upload one. But they are growing, playing and getting their hair back after their mange. Taking flyers around this week to see if I can't get them new homes.

Picture boisterous, lab-crosses with longish legs and fat tummies and constant licking and lots of puppy barking going on. That's pretty much what they look like. :laugh:

• Like 2

I give up!  Today, I was up at 4:30 to get my older DS to airport for his flight, he's going to Airborne Ranger school!!  I made the executive decision to go ahead and start our break now.  Gonna spend some time reading.

Wow! Enjoy the break.

• Like 2

Day 1 of break spent cleaning up vomit, hoping he feels better in the morning!!  In between cleaning up puke, got some laundry done and watched a few youtube videos on classical education, spent some time at the schole sisters website. 

Yuck! I hope he is better today.

• Like 1