Menu

Mail order mattresses......anyone have a brand they love?

Prairie~Phlox

Best decision we ever made--we inquired at a place that we stayed at for a week about what kind of mattresses they used (that we both loved), and bought the same kind.  They were made to order and delivered in a few weeks.

One caution--mattresses are much deeper now than the old 'standard'.  Make sure you look at your measurements and your bed and figure out what will actually work for you.  We had to buy a special very thin box spring (a buckyboard, from the local mattress store rather than the mail order place) to support this pretty thick mattress in order for the height not to overwhelm our antique bed.  We didn't think of this beforehand and ended up stuck with an extra, seemingly useless box spring.  Thankfully it was not terribly expensive, and we ended up using it to make up a platform type bed in another room after all.

"We want to genuinely thank you for your interest in the quality bedding products offered through the Simmons Guest Purchase Program.  The Simmons bed sets used in hotels are commercial models that are not available for sale in retail stores.  Commercial bed sets are developed independently of the retail offering and are engineered to a specific comfort level and a much higher durability standard due to the potential rigors that may be placed upon them in the commercial setting.  Our service makes the entire commercial offering of the Simmons Company available for sale and home delivery to hotel guests throughout the United States.

You have already done the so called "test rest" and all we do is replicate that experience by bringing that same, brand new, Simmons model to your home and set it up for you.  And what's more, we sell these bed sets at a substantial savings as compared to retail models of comparable quality!   

Attached is not only product information, but also an order form for the "non-flip / maintenance-free" SimmonsBeautyrest® Westburyâ„¢ Recharge® Plush bed set, which is the upgraded / next-generation model that replaced the Beautyrest® Westbury II Plush bed set featured at the Tahoe Beach & Ski Club.  This Beautyrest® model represents one of the top commercial bed sets made by Simmons and incorporates the latest innovations in sleep system design.   This model does not disappoint, and I am confident that you will be impressed as well! "

I just got some sort of hybrid bed with springs at the bottom and memory foam (not a topper) at the top. Oh man, I'm in love with this thing. We've only had it a few months, but I'm still super excited about it. It feels so good on my back and doesn't transfer much motion so you don't wake up when your spies gets out of bed. I've overslept by ridiculous amounts in this bed so I have to be more careful about setting alarms even if I'm not leaving the house.

I read another message board daily and one lady was raving about this one.  http://www.saatvamattress.com/the-mattresses.html.  She posted a one month follow up and was still in love with it.  They want her to update at 6 months.  She said the online chat was very helpful to her in picking out which one to get.  

I have a Saatva -we've had it since end of February/early March and we are still happy with it. I have a congenital back issue and it has helped support my back much better.

Ordering & shipping went smoothly. We paid about $40.00 for the shipping company to remove the old mattress.

In a previous thread, after we had purchased, Carol linked the Simmons outlet. Sounds interesting and the price is comparable.

Edited by Liz CA

I just got some sort of hybrid bed with springs at the bottom and memory foam (not a topper) at the top. Oh man, I'm in love with this thing. We've only had it a few months, but I'm still super excited about it. It feels so good on my back and doesn't transfer much motion so you don't wake up when your spies gets out of bed. I've overslept by ridiculous amounts in this bed so I have to be more careful about setting alarms even if I'm not leaving the house.

I think the Saatva is also called a hybrid - coils and a layer of foam or something like that. Regardless, so far (~3 months into it), I would buy it again.

My son has a Tuft and Needle full-size mattress. We got it last summer and are very happy with it. The ordering process and delivery were easy with no problems.  When we replace the other mattresses in our home, we'll probably go with T&N as well.

We did tuft and needle and didn't like it. It wasn't bad, just wasn't for us. It was more like a true memory foam bed and it was just too squishy. The returning process was very simple and no problem. We have a purple and are very happy with it. But I'd recommend either.

I have a Saatva -we've had it since end of February/early March and we are still happy with it. I have a congenital back issue and it has helped support my back much better.

Ordering & shipping went smoothly. We paid about $40.00 for the shipping company to remove the old mattress.

In a previous thread, after we had purchased, Carol linked the Simmons outlet. Sounds interesting and the price is comparable.

Which comfort level did you get?  Dh and I are waking up every single morning with back pain and we don't know if we need firm or softer!  (I know this is very individual.)

Good to know!  That's two recommendations for that brand.  I'm putting them on my list. 

Edited by mom2samlibby

What kind of mattress is best for a side sleeper with achy hips and shoulders?

I don't think Saatva is.  We got one 18 months ago--a luxury firm one.  I didn't like it from the beginning, but I kept thinking it would get better, and I'd get used to it.  I always sleep on my side (and had very achy hips with our old mattress), but with the new mattress, my arms constantly fell asleep.  It was awful!  I was counting down the years until we could get a new one, except that we had just bought it.  I thought Saatva only had a one month guarantee, and by the time I realized it was longer, that time was up, and I just felt so trapped.

I read a bunch of reviews on the Saatva website, and eventually I came to the conclusion that we actually should have gotten their softer mattress.  I wrote a review on their website warning side sleepers away from the luxury firm mattresses and encouraging shoppers to get the softer level.  I received an email and then a phone call from Saatva within the hour.  A very nice man offered to exchange our firm one for a softer one, with us just paying the shipping, even though it was outside the time period for exchanging.  I was so happy!  What amazing customer service!  I do love the company for that!  

I liked the softer mattress a little bit better, but now that we've had it a year, it really isn't my favorite either, and I can't wait to be able to feel good about getting another mattress.  My hips aren't as achy, but boy, my neck and shoulders always are.  After a few months, there are troughs in the mattress for dh and for me, and it just isn't all that comfortable.  I guess all mattresses that you can't flip are like that now, though.  Sigh.  I just want a good night's sleep again!

I have a flobed, it's latex. you can do different densities for each side.

I can't remember the one my son ordered, also latex, but he loves his.

We have several Flobeds. I've been sleeping on the king for 10 years. The top layer tore in half and I've been meaning to call the company to order a replacement. We've moved 5 times since we bought it which is the reason it tore. It's been a good mattress for us.

The other two are queens in perfect condition. One has been used almost continuously for 13 years.

I don't think Saatva is.  We got one 18 months ago--a luxury firm one.  I didn't like it from the beginning, but I kept thinking it would get better, and I'd get used to it.  I always sleep on my side (and had very achy hips with our old mattress), but with the new mattress, my arms constantly fell asleep.  It was awful!  I was counting down the years until we could get a new one, except that we had just bought it.  I thought Saatva only had a one month guarantee, and by the time I realized it was longer, that time was up, and I just felt so trapped.

I read a bunch of reviews on the Saatva website, and eventually I came to the conclusion that we actually should have gotten their softer mattress.  I wrote a review on their website warning side sleepers away from the luxury firm mattresses and encouraging shoppers to get the softer level.  I received an email and then a phone call from Saatva within the hour.  A very nice man offered to exchange our firm one for a softer one, with us just paying the shipping, even though it was outside the time period for exchanging.  I was so happy!  What amazing customer service!  I do love the company for that!  

I liked the softer mattress a little bit better, but now that we've had it a year, it really isn't my favorite either, and I can't wait to be able to feel good about getting another mattress.  My hips aren't as achy, but boy, my neck and shoulders always are.  After a few months, there are troughs in the mattress for dh and for me, and it just isn't all that comfortable.  I guess all mattresses that you can't flip are like that now, though.  Sigh.  I just want a good night's sleep again!

We agonized over the comfort level - between firm and luxury firm. So far I like the level I chose.

When you sleep on your side where are your arms? I sleep on my side all the time and fling my arms straight out, when I turn to the other side where there is less room, I angle them slightly. I also always seem to have my knees drawn up when sleeping on either side and sometimes I rest the top arm on my knees. This has taken care of the tingly feeling in arms and fingers.

I've ordered two mattresses on Amazon.

I got this one two and a half years ago for dd. She slept on it for a year before she left for college and was very happy with it. She is really small and light though, so I can't say a lot about how it holds up.

I got this one for ds four years ago. He slept on it for two years before heading off to college and summers since. I had read a lot about memory foam mattresses not holding up, but this has. 

Both of these were great deals and we have no regrets at all about our online mattress purchases.

Arizona Mattress Company - latex mattress.  Love, Love, Love this mattress.  

I often forget it when I name the FEW items we have been truly satisfied with that we have purchased, but this mattress is great and definitely part of the list. Sometimes my husband or I will look at the other after an exasperating day and say, "But you know what?  We're going to sleep on our mattress tonight and that almost makes everything o.k."  Then we will just smile.

Kelly on the prairie, I have been looking at Arizona Mattress Company mattresses! Is yours all latex? I've been looking at their Ultimate Hybrid Latex pocket coil mattress http://www.mattresses.net/quulhypocola.html. How is this company to deal with? It looks like they have great prices. Mattresses.net is Arizona Premium Mattress online store. 

We bought a Brooklyn Bedding mattress in medium and have slept on it for 2.5 months. But, are returning it...it is just too firm. I've been waking up with achy back and shoulders. 

Here's a couple more I'm looking at:  

Flexus Comfort: http://www.flexuscomfort.com/Quadra-Flex.html ...They have all latex, too, but we are looking at the hybrid with pocket coils. 

Luma Sleep: http://www.lumasleep.com/mattresses/ -  looking at the Latex hybrid slumber system. 

Edited by jak of in