Menu

Dyslexia - What Does a Typical Reading Lesson Look Like?

If you have a child with dyslexia, would you mind answering some questions about your typical reading lesson?

1.  What reading program do you use?

2.  How long is a usualy daily lesson?

3.  What do you usually use in a lesson?

4.  How old is your child, or what grade level is he/she at in reading?  (Just so I can know what a lesson looks like at different stages...not trying to ask for anything you aren't comfortable sharing).

Thanks!

I have 3.  11 YO is not doing reading lessons right now but we spent 30-40 minutes/day when we were doing them.  She has stealth dyslexia with a good visual memory for words and reads above grade level.  8 YO spends 30ish minutes 5 days a week on them.  He's in 2nd grade and I'm guessing he's reading at a 2nd grade level now (reading finally clicked for him a few weeks ago).  6 YO spends 10-15 minutes 5 days a week as that's all he can handle.  He's in K and blends fine but has to sound every.single.word out every time.  We're using Barton.  Not entirely sure what you mean by what do we use in a lesson...there's tiles and a teacher's manual and student pages with Barton.  There are a lot of subsections in each lesson and it takes about a week to get through a lesson so not everything is used every day.  Sometimes it's reading words on tiles and spelling words on tiles, sometimes it's reading word/phrases/sentences on paper and spelling the same on paper (or various combinations of the above).  We also do flashcards for sight word reading and spelling, spelling rule flashcards, and fluency drills (not all every day or every kid).

• Like 3

If you have a child with dyslexia, would you mind answering some questions about your typical reading lesson?

1.  What reading program do you use?

2.  How long is a usualy daily lesson?

3.  What do you usually use in a lesson?

4.  How old is your child, or what grade level is he/she at in reading?  (Just so I can know what a lesson looks like at different stages...not trying to ask for anything you aren't comfortable sharing).

Thanks!

Two kids with dyslexia.  We started homeschooling after they were diagnosed.  DD was going into 6th and DS was going into 3rd when we started reading remediation.  DD is now in 10th and DS is in 7th.  

1.  Barton Reading and Spelling

2.  20-40 minutes 4-5 days a week.

3.  As mentioned up thread, lessons for Barton are in multiple sections.  Different sections use different things but there are tiles, practice pages, etc.  Depending on the child and the lesson, a lesson might be completed in a day or a week or a month.  Most dyslexics need a multi-sensory approach, which is why Barton and other programs designed specifically for dyslexics include multiple ways to approach the material, using several senses.

4. Kids are reading at or above grade level at this point.  I gave DD and DS the option to stop Barton but they chose to continue.

• Like 2

We are past that now, but used High Noon starting at around age 8, with reading level of non reader.

Started with about 15 min. single session and worked up to somewhat longer and multiple times per day, 7 days per week. No days off at all till reading was 'remediated."

It began during summer and was all that was done academically that summer. By fall there was probably at least an hour per day in 3 sessions.

An IEP at local school was added: 5 days per week around 1/2 hour for reading and 1/2 hour for writing, and 1/2 hour of Talking Fingers in between maybe 3 days per week.

Around a year later at age 9 ds was at 3rd grade level reading or better. Moved on to reading things like The Red Pyramid, and both the IEP and the work on High Noon ended.

• Like 3

With my almost 8 year old son:

1.  All About Reading

2.  About 20 minutes, 4x / wk

3.  Letter tiles, a notched card (he's outgrown this and now uses a bookmark under each line), and a pencil (I often have to remind him to start at the beginning of a word by touching it with a pencil point

4.  I have no idea what grade or level he's working at...dyslexia is so weird.  It's like his ability to process written words varies from day to day and minute to minute.  Friday he started out the lesson by fluently reading a whole sentence including the words "great crowd," "whispering," and "appearing."  Then for the rest of the time struggled with words like of, for, what, was, magic E words, etc.  He fatigues very quickly when reading.  I feel for him.  I swear, struggling through this learning to read thing with him is one of the hardest things I've ever done!  It doesn't help that his 2 1/2 year old brother is starting to sound out words, ugh.

Edited by IvyInFlorida
  • Like 1

I have two.

Eight year old, second grade, Barton.  He's almost finished level 2.  We spend about 30 minutes a day on it (which he hates and dreads and hides, but does pretty well once he talks himself into it).  This is our first year with Barton after failed OPGTR, public school, and AAR.  So three years of little progress...two with me, one with another teacher.  He is reading at a beginning kindergarten level, and I am super pleased with that progress.

My six year old is finishing kindergarten.  I don't know if we will ever finish level 1 of Barton.  :D  Ever.  We do about 15 minutes a day, 5 days a week because that's the entirety of his attention span.  He is reading at .... what's below the beginning of preK level?  We are at the END of a year of kindergarten.  He can reliably (95%) name the correct sounds in words and nonsense words.  He can not reliably (50%) get the right order for them.  

I don't know that my child has dyslexia but highly suspect it (and am testing him as soon -  long story as to why that hasn't happened yet).

But what you said for #4...oh man I can so relate!!!  That sounds exactly like my kiddo, only he just turned 9.  I do the pencil point thing all the time with him. 

With my almost 8 year old son:

1.  All About Reading

2.  About 20 minutes, 4x / wk

3.  Letter tiles, a notched card (he's outgrown this and now uses a bookmark under each line), and a pencil (I often have to remind him to start at the beginning of a word by touching it with a pencil point

4.  I have no idea what grade or level he's working at...dyslexia is so weird.  It's like his ability to process written words varies from day to day and minute to minute.  Friday he started out the lesson by fluently reading a whole sentence including the words "great crowd," "whispering," and "appearing."  Then for the rest of the time struggled with words like of, for, what, was, magic E words, etc.  He fatigues very quickly when reading.  I feel for him.  I swear, struggling through this learning to read thing with him is one of the hardest things I've ever done!  It doesn't help that his 2 1/2 year old brother is starting to sound out words, ugh.

DS 8, third grade, has a visual type of dyslexia (not phonetic) and is gifted.

We use AAR, are in the middle of level 4. Lessons for level 3 were about 30-40 min x 4 days a week (covering one lesson with minimal phonics and word reading review). Level 4, each lesson takes about 20-30 min, with stumbling over the very long multi syllable words. Lessons include a lesson in a phonogram, sometimes a basic reading idea, and practice words. The following lesson is practice words with a short story. DS has trouble with reading order, losing his place, and small articles/prefixes, etc. His general reading level is fourth grade (but not up to his giftedness). He skims when he does his independent reading and fatigues quickly.

When we first started homeschooling he was in first grade with a K reading level and it took a year to catch up to grade level (2 grades of reading by the time he was in second grade).

• 2 weeks later...

I have used Barton also with mine. It is a great program and flexible. If your child can't handle the 1/2 hour or x number of sections, you simply stop and pick up there the next day. The biggest thing I found that really makes a difference is consistency. Have reading/phonics/ Barton time (what ever you call it) every day. When we were in the most difficult parts we did a little 7 days a week. Later we took Sundays off.

My 13yr old is now working at a good 5th-6th gr level. My 9 1/2 yr old is reading at a late 1st gr.- beginning 2nd gr level.

1.  What reading program do you use? Dancing Bears 

2.  How long is a usualy daily lesson? DS8 taps out after about 15-20 minutes. If I need him to read from his reader, in addition to the actual lesson, I save the fluency reading (the reader) for later in the day or in the evening. 

3.  What do you usually use in a lesson? I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I use our DB book, our flashcards (daily -- all of them), and our reader. 

4.  How old is your child, or what grade level is he/she at in reading?  (Just so I can know what a lesson looks like at different stages...not trying to ask for anything you aren't comfortable sharing). DS is 8. I'm not sure what level he's reading at and I'm not sure that many could accurately answer that, actually. 

Thanks!