What's with the ads?

#1 Patty Joanna

Patty Joanna

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8891 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:01 PM

A young lady I know is starting a career-type job, high tech, Pacific Northwest (yes we are more slovenly casual than other parts of the country).  She is tall, and has business wear but here is what I would like info on:

1.  She has long straight hair, like lower-back long.  Is this a good way for her to wear her hair past her college days, in a career-style job?

2.  What make-up changes would you recommend to make her look less college-y and more grown up.  She's not going to fool anyone into thinking she's 30, nor should she, but I'm just wondering if there are things that younger people wear, make-up-wise, that will send off "immature" signals in a new job. 

Thank you..

#2 tentwelve

tentwelve

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4625 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:08 PM

nm

Edited by tentwelve, 04 June 2017 - 08:32 PM.

• Arctic Mama likes this

#3 Ausmumof3

Ausmumof3

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4443 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:10 PM

I guess if hair length is an issue she could always wear it up at first?

#4 scholastica

scholastica

Just Visiting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:12 PM

I think a lot of the young women who want to keep their long hair wear it up in a bun to look more professional at work. I see that a lot here in the middle of the country.

#5 Arctic Mama

Arctic Mama

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11728 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:17 PM

Most of us longhairs wear our hair up but more for practicality than professional sense, honestly. It can be a hazard when left down and tangles more too. A braid or bun should be fine, and even a half up. Just not hanging in her face in a way that would be distracting.

Edited by Arctic Mama, 19 May 2017 - 07:18 PM.

#6 Carol in Cal.

Carol in Cal.

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15643 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:18 PM

I have a professional job, and usually wear my long hair pulled back from my face in two side clips, and hanging free in back.  This creates a clean look without being a lot of trouble.

#7 Arctic Mama

Arctic Mama

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11728 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:19 PM

We're East coast, but my dd's often braid their long hair. And do business casual or dress. Rarely wear makeup.

One of our dd's is about to start a career-type job and she asked dh how she should plan to dress. She said many of the people her age that she saw when she was interviewing were dressed very casually. Dh instantly told her to dress more like her supervisors than her fellow employees. That made sense, I suppose. I guess we'll see ...

That's very good advice from your husband.
  • tentwelve likes this

#8 Arcadia

Arcadia

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15142 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:32 PM

Ladies and guys in their 30s-50s are wearing long hair in a pony tail or just untied in the tech sector here. Some have long straight hair and some have long wavy hair. As long as it is neat, it isn't unprofessional.

The only thing is if she is going to be dealing with machines a lot. Then it would be useful to know how to do a quick updo for her hair as a safety requirement if needed. An engineering schoolmate's hair was caught in a CNC machine and they had to hack her hair off to prevent her from being seriously injured. Where my brother used to work, they had disposable hair nets for the manufacturing floor for that reason.

For makeup, I am seeing at most concealers, light foundation, light lipstick, no or very light nail polish. E.g a lady CEO which would blend in looks wise with the techies here http://www.crg.eu/si...ives_small.jpeg

#9 LucyStoner

LucyStoner

Gag me with a spork.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19817 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:46 PM

Unless she works in sales, in the PNW more than a tiny bit of makeup isn't common in the IT sector. Some women I know here have felt that a very polished feminine look was held against them professionally. Not saying that is right but I have heard it more than a few times.