Menu

Homeschooling dangers (funny)

MotherGoose

So if my eight year old was in school, she wouldn't have been outside enjoying the cool morning air, before the heat sets in and we go do school, with her older sister and toddler brother while mama worked in the garden. They wouldn't have decided to have a water balloon fight. Brother wouldn't have pushed his toy car across her path at the precise moment she was running, and she wouldn't have tripped and fallen, bruising badly, but not breaking, her arm. Everyone would have been at some safe and sterilized place. And yesterday, brother wouldn't have crunched down on a tasty snail and had sisters put him in a headlock to remove it from his mouth...evidently he liked it! Oh the stories and memories they will have! 💕💕

• Like 11

Everyone always asks me why my kids are so close.  I tell them that homeschooling forces them to be best friends.  Though they may not always get along perfectly, they ultimately have to work it out and depend on one another.  They can't simply turn to a daily school peer group and write off their siblings.  Now, I am not saying that those in PS can't be close friends.  I think it is all about how relationships are fostered within the family, but homeschooling sort of forces them to work through issues. 

• Like 4

Everyone always asks me why my kids are so close. I tell them that homeschooling forces them to be best friends. Though they may not always get along perfectly, they ultimately have to work it out and depend on one another. They can't simply turn to a daily school peer group and write off their siblings. Now, I am not saying that those in PS can't be close friends. I think it is all about how relationships are fostered within the family, but homeschooling sort of forces them to work through issues.

True! When you can't be free of the crazy toddler for most of the day, and you have to learn to do your math while he disrupts you, you develop a relationship with him. (As long as your mom makes sure you have appropriate boundaries, i.e. Takes him away when you really need her to). You realize that life is not all about you, and your choking hazard Legos, it about keeping the tiny being alive for another day. My eight and eleven year olds know more about parenting than I did at 30.

ETA and it's not because they are the toddlers' parents, it's because they are around him all the time. I have, I think, very normal boundaries about baby care. I ran from any opportunity to be around small children. They can't! :)

Edited by MotherGoose
  • Like 1

My kids wouldn't have discovered their 1st ever huge rolly polly bug community under a garden rock this morning while they were helping me de-weed if they had been in school. They were so freaking excited to see that many rolly polly bugs in one place that they declared it the best school day ever.

• Like 6