Menu

If you eat paleo/primal/LCHF, what is your favorite meal?

SamanthaCarter

Number one would be grilled chicken thighs.  Number two steak.

But something I really enjoy is that crack slaw recipe/egg roll in a bowl.  Basically slaw mix, stir fried with some ground meat, then seasoned with Asian seasonings.  Scallions, ginger, garlic, white pepper, soy sauce, and sesame oil are what I use.

My kids love bean and rice burrito bowls.  We eat that on kale.  So a bowl with kale (sauteed with garlic and salt), topped with slow cooked pork butt, warmed in a cast iron skillet so it gets crispy bits, then topped with cilantro, onions, jalapenos, and green salsa.  We'll add monterey jack cheese sometimes.  This is so, so good.  I love it.  

Oh, and one more.  Mexican chicken salad.  A salad made of napa, avocado, shredded chicken, cilantro, and very thinly sliced red onion.  Oh, and parm cheese.  Mix with a vinaigrette made with balsamic, olive oil, and a chipotle pepper or two.  Toss about 15 minutes before serving so that it softens a little bit.  It's soo, so, so good.

• Like 5

Love carb here...just restarted 4 weeks ago and rediscovering my favorites. Will be tuning in for more ideas 😜 I'm pretty standard and boring but don't have a single favorite- but have a top 10.

*Ribeye steak and Caesar salad

*Crack slaw (same as pp- hot sesame oil adds a nice buttery kick)

*Curried chicken salad (chicken, Curry, mayo, celery and cranberries)

*Jalapeño poppers (stuffed with cheddar and cream cheese) wrapped with bacon

*Lettuce wrapped fajitas

*Taco salad

*Mockafoni and cheese (with diced ham)

*Roasted Spaghetti squash with meatballs and sauce

*Cobb salad

*Greek salad

Those are heavier winter item dishes...we are tending towards summer so I will transition into lighter foods.

*grilled cedar plank salmon with butter

*jalapeno cheddar burgers

*grilled chicken quarters with butter salt and vinegar basting

*lettuce wraps- most sandwiches in lettuce cups- BLACT

*tuna salad (prob 2x a week)

Edited by LarlaB
  • Like 3

Thanks! This is a huge help. Dh and I have been talking about this and I needed some imputation on how to make a better diet an interesting one without making it complicated like so many preplanned menus do. The recipes sometimes seem overcomplicated or over fancified. [emoji849]

Eta: imputation=inspiration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Like 1

I would try to make it as simple as possible.

Pile-o-meat and some Brussles Sprouts is a perfectly fine dining choice.

I also like making carnitas in my Instant Pot

I had my dh grill a LOT of hamburgers this week and I am eating hamburger ingredients like a salad. :lol: Lettuce, a couple grape tomatoes, pickles, mustard, hamburger meat, salt, pepper, pepperoncini

I did see in one group where people were cooking chicken breast with mozzarella and pepperonis on it. :lol: I can't eat cheese so...I didn't do that

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 1

A meat and a vegetable :P 

I'm not really kidding. We've tried some of the fancy paleo and low-carb meals, and none turn out well for me for some reason, so we just revert back to a serving of meat and a serving of vegetable for dinners; chicken salad is our go-to for lunch (no bread, obviously); breakfast is an egg, bacon, or a GF bar for my daughter (for whom I'm not comfortable taking on a strict keto diet for).

Freshly sliced deli hard salami and cheese is a staple here for snacks. 

If Costco would bring back their marinated mozzarella balls, that would be, too... alas, I've not seen them in some time. Sadness all around.

• Like 4

Another awesome one that's so simple is just a roast chicken with various veg.

I like this time of year because...grilled food...yum.

I make an Alfredo sauce with cream cheese, heavy cream, and shredded Italian cheese mix and top that on zoodled zucchini.  I often add salmon and or shrimp. 

• Like 2

Thanks! This is a huge help. Dh and I have been talking about this and I needed some imputation on how to make a better diet an interesting one without making it complicated like so many preplanned menus do. The recipes sometimes seem overcomplicated or over fancified. [emoji849]

Eta: imputation=inspiration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Fed cookbook by Mel Joulwan is my go to. She describes how to cook for an hour in Sunday and then make any type of dish. She call them plates. Basically you decid what kinda meat you wants and what style (Italian, Greek, etc). Then you take out your already cooked ingredients and heat them up with appropriate sauces and spices.

https://meljoulwan.com

• Like 2

Breakfast is a tough one for me to figure out as eggs don't fill me up - they make me hungry!

One thing I've found that I literally could eat every day for breakfast is a side of bacon, celery with peanut butter,

and sliced apples drizzled with macadamia nut butter, sprinkled with cinnamon.

HTH!

I was subscribed to e-meals for awhile and they have a paleo plan and a low carb plan (and they allow you to switch back and forth anytime you want).  I dunno...there were too many meals I was not interested in, but we are kinda particular around here.  But you might like it.  I think they offer some sample menus.

For easy some chicken breast (pre cooked and bought in bags at the store is fine) plus some roasted pepper. I cheat and buy bags of frozen peppers and onions that are all cut up and put them on a baking pan with some oil and broil them. Only takes a very short time to broil them and they come out tasting and looking like fire roasted peppers : )

Add that to the chicken and top with some cheese and sour cream if doing dairy, or a bit of guacamole if not. 

Otherwise, I like to grill up a bunch of meat and have it in the fridge to have with salad. Marinated chicken breasts to be cut up and put in the salad, or grilled thighs to eat separately. 

Or pork loin (not sirloin, sirloin is too lean) is great cooked in the instant pot or crock pot. I buy preseasoned ones sometimes (walmart) or do my own..usually garlic and some italian dressing. If I do the instant pot I cook and then remove the meat and do some potatoes and carrots in the liquid that was left. 

• Like 2