What's with the ads?

#1 Slache

Slache

Hoity-Toity Hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19307 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:07 PM

I'm sorry if there's already a thread. Here's my referral link: http://www.buildyour...17/?lucky=42214

It looks better than last year's which was quite a disappointment.

• fralala likes this

#2 2_girls_mommy

2_girls_mommy

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4056 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:08 PM

How can you tell it looks better? I don't see any clues about what is in them. 

#3 Slache

Slache

Hoity-Toity Hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19307 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:35 PM

List of publishers

#4 fralala

fralala

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:40 PM

Is this it?

• Slache likes this

#5 2_girls_mommy

2_girls_mommy

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4056 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:53 PM

Thank you. I didn't see that.

ETA.. I was really zoning out. I didn't even pay attention to the graphic that has a bunch of the publisher's names on it right there too. :) 

Edited by 2_girls_mommy, 19 May 2017 - 01:01 PM.

• Slache likes this

#6 tdbates78

tdbates78

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:07 PM

I'm still semi-new to homeschooling. Can someone explain what a "bundle" is? Is it PDF documents like I would purchase via Teachers Pay Teachers? Or is it entire curriculum? I'm confused! ;)

#7 Slache

Slache

Hoity-Toity Hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19307 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:25 PM

I'm still semi-new to homeschooling. Can someone explain what a "bundle" is? Is it PDF documents like I would purchase via Teachers Pay Teachers? Or is it entire curriculum? I'm confused! ;)

A Bundle is several different PDFs made of curriculum, supplements, and teacher's/mother's aids. I've always built my own because I've only wanted curriculum. Check out Ellen McHenry and Barefoot Meanderings websites for curriculum that will be available at BYOB. Most of what's available at BYOB is something I would not bother with.
  • 2_girls_mommy and tdbates78 like this

#8 Mergath

Mergath

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10780 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:03 PM

It's something you shouldn't waste your money on if you're a secular homeschooler. The offerings every year are overwhelmingly Christian, with a few craptastic secular options.

• RecreationalScholar, fastforward, Jackie and 1 other like this

#9 tdbates78

tdbates78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:12 PM

It's something you shouldn't waste your money on if you're a secular homeschooler. The offerings every year are overwhelmingly Christian, with a few craptastic secular options.

We are secular, so thank you for the heads up! I'll probably browse the the sale when it opens to see if anything looks interesting.

#10 MistyMountain

MistyMountain

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2536 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:42 PM

I got some Ellen McHenry stuff in the last sale. I wanted to get more of her stuff and I am hoping they have the options I wanted but I am not sure if there will be enough for me to get a bundle this time because yes it does seem to be heavily religious materials. I might just get the print books anyway rather then using this bundle sale because I prefer that to printing.

Edited by MistyMountain, 20 May 2017 - 01:43 PM.

#11 kiwik

kiwik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5113 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:07 AM

Although this year they have Ellen McHenry as a bundle - looks like 8 of her units for $30 and she is well thought of by science people and at as far as I have seen secular or at least not overtly Christian.  Other than that there are a few things that it may be easier to buy as you want them.

#12 SEGway

SEGway

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:49 AM

Anyone willing to buy the mystery bundle and tell what's included?

• 2_girls_mommy and GeoKitty like this

#13 2_girls_mommy

2_girls_mommy

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4056 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:03 AM

FYI, in the 50% off classes and memberships, they have a membership to SchoolHouseTeachers.com for 89.50 for a year. With the $5 off coupon that was emailed that is $85 for the whole year, including the high school if anyone has been looking at joining it lately. I think I am going to do that. I have been looking to do it for the Mr.D's math for next year, and my middle schooler can do art and other things from it.

#14 rjand4more

rjand4more

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:28 AM

I was actually excited about this sale... I have quite a few ebooks on my list from those publishers.

But, I am past the days of buying things and not using them.  

I can't find anything I need or want..

#15 Slache

Slache

Hoity-Toity Hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19307 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:13 AM

Anyone willing to buy the mystery bundle and tell what's included?

If I remember correctly last year's sucked.

I was actually excited about this sale... I have quite a few ebooks on my list from those publishers.

But, I am past the days of buying things and not using them.  

I can't find anything I need or want..

I found stuff I want, but not for 3 or 4 years. I can get 2 Ellen McHenry sciences, Excavating English, Mapping The World With Art and Love The Journey by TOG for $20. I just fear it will be a waste of $20 come 3 or 4 years.

#16 Jess4879

Jess4879

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1539 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:17 AM

I always get super-excited for this sale and then never find anything I want.  This year I am actually really tempted to get the Ellen McHenry bundle, not because we need anything for science, but because everyone here talks about it so much, I feel like I need to find out what all the fuss is about.  :)  I am just really not sure I want to print all those files...

• 2_girls_mommy likes this

#17 SilverMoon

SilverMoon

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8496 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:30 AM

I remember liking last year's mystery bundle. *shrug* Especially the Lewis lit/writing one from Sharon Watson.

I see a couple McHenry books I'd like. Grammar Galaxy looks like something my little guy would really enjoy. Guesthollow's Jr Anatomy, Wayfarers medieval, Quark Anatomy, and some of the art options have potential for my next school year. Mystery of History and Truthquest are there. I'll look up samples and consider them.

Anyone doing American history and/or geography this year would find treasures. We're heading toward medieval, but my geography nut would enjoy a states book anyway.

Edited by SilverMoon, Yesterday, 10:31 AM.

• Another Lynn, 2_girls_mommy and Slache like this

#18 Mergath

Mergath

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10780 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:39 AM

Although this year they have Ellen McHenry as a bundle - looks like 8 of her units for $30 and she is well thought of by science people and at as far as I have seen secular or at least not overtly Christian.  Other than that there are a few things that it may be easier to buy as you want them.

From what I've read, she's neutral, not secular, so her science stuff will still have references to organisms being "designed" to do things, etc. I haven't done extensive research on her stuff so I don't know more than that, but anyone who cares about science being actually secular and not just neutral might want to do that before buying the bundle.

#19 caedmyn

caedmyn

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:12 PM

If anyone buys a bundle....did they send you a coupon code for another bundle purchase like last year?  I typically buy a couple of bundles but never want the right stuff for the buy-2-get-1 deals, so if they offer a coupon after one purchase it'd be nice to know before I buy something.

I've spent too much on this the last couple of years considering how much (or how little) of the stuff I've used.  Some things we started to use and didn't like for whatever reason, but that can happen with printed curriculum too.  Two of the things I bought last year and the year before are on our schedule for next year and some of the others will likely be used in the future, so hopefully it will be worth what I spent in the end.  Hopefully I can make better choices this year and only buy things I am sure we will use in the next year or two.  

ETA: One thing that always bugs me about this sale...there's always a few items that are mis-priced (as in, priced differently than on the publisher's website).  And the errors are always higher than the publisher's website, which usually places them in the premium category if you're building your own bundle, whereas the correct price would put them in the lower priced category.  So if you just want this one product which should be, say, $15 and is listed at $25, and everything else you want is under $20, you're forced to buy the higher-priced bundle to get it (this has happened to me each year).  I emailed them about it this year...I hope they correct the errors I pointed out.

Edited by caedmyn, Yesterday, 04:12 PM.

#20 MistyMountain

MistyMountain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2536 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:53 PM

From what I've read, she's neutral, not secular, so her science stuff will still have references to organisms being "designed" to do things, etc. I haven't done extensive research on her stuff so I don't know more than that, but anyone who cares about science being actually secular and not just neutral might want to do that before buying the bundle.

Do you know where you heard that? I have used one of her things (the elements) and it was secular. My kids all really liked it a lot. I heard she is religious but the curriculum was secular and it seemed that way to me. Some topics do not get discussed but it is not comprehension subjects like biology but rather a short course on different topics. I prefer to use secular curriculum.

Edited by MistyMountain, Yesterday, 02:54 PM.

#21 Mergath

Mergath

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10780 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:48 PM

No, I don't, I'm sorry. And I don't think her stuff is blatantly religious or anything, I think it's supposedly pretty subtle. There used to be a website that listed all the science curricula and whether they're secular, neutral, or religious, but of course now that I look for it I can't find it anywhere. I'm pretty picky, so stuff like curriculum authors using "designed" rather than "evolved" or leaving out evolution completely is a deal-breaker for me, but I know most people are a lot more willing to work around that kind of thing.

I'll keep looking for where I read that, and if I find it I'll add the link.

ETA: Oops, forgot to quote- that was to MistyMountain.

Edited by Mergath, Yesterday, 03:49 PM.

#22 Ausmumof3

Ausmumof3

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4285 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:45 PM

Well for me I think the Ellen McHenry bundle is looking good and possibly the Charlotte Mason one. I need some new handwriting books and I think with than and a couple of other resources that will justify the value for me.

Does anyone have experience with the "in the hands of the child" stuff? I don't mind Christian worldview but we aren't mainstream Christians so if it's excessively Christian it won't work for us.

The grades bundles seem to have a lot for early elementary and high school and not much for the later elementary students.

#23 Themrshunt

Themrshunt

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:21 PM

It looks like there are some good options this year. 

Edited by Themrshunt, Yesterday, 10:22 PM.

#24 Ruthie in MS

Ruthie in MS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:02 PM

I have looked at this sale every year and always decide against buying anything but this year there are some interesting offerings. I'm actually contemplating purchasing the upper grades bundle #1 and #2 and possibly the elementary #4 bundle.

Last year's sale really sucked so it's great to see that they finally have better options.

However! I'm really torn because I find it hard to actually USE digital curriculum. It's not the same looking at it on my tablet or desktop when I can just quickly thumb through the pages in a physical book. ::sigh:: Plus if I decide that its not right for us I can't just sell a digital copy. What to do, what to do.

#25 Ruthie in MS

Ruthie in MS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:03 PM

Double post. Sorry

Edited by Ruthie in MS, Yesterday, 11:04 PM.

#26 Slache

Slache

Hoity-Toity Hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19307 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:10 PM

I have looked at this sale every year and always decide against buying anything but this year there are some interesting offerings. I'm actually contemplating purchasing the upper grades bundle #1 and #2 and possibly the elementary #4 bundle.

Last year's sale really sucked so it's great to see that they finally have better options.

However! I'm really torn because I find it hard to actually USE digital curriculum. It's not the same looking at it on my tablet or desktop when I can just quickly thumb through the pages in a physical book. ::sigh:: Plus if I decide that its not right for us I can't just sell a digital copy. What to do, what to do.

Speaking as as a seasoned expert of exactly 1 kindergartener ;) I think the type of curriculum makes a big difference. I print out Miquon and it's cheaper than buying the books, especially after the first child. With Reading Lessons Through Literature I move from one spelling test to the next after putting the spelling rules and phonograms into my memory app. A curriculum I'd have to flip through? No. Not happening.