Menu

Physics people: Help me add these to the pinned thread

I want to add the Novare/ Centripetal Press books to the pinned thread, but I want some Hive Wisdom about where to place them before doing so- or any other comments about them. Here's what I have so far:

Regular Algebra-based Physics Courses

Name: Introductory Physics

Publisher: Centripetal (non-religous), Novare (old earth Christian)

Where to buy: Novare

Centripetal

Level: Reg Physics

Class: Yes. Wilson Hill

Teacher Resources: Yes, on CD and a separate solutions manual (answers to math questions are in text). There are additional resources available at the Novare Yahoo Group site. This includes model answers for non-mathematical questions for some of the texts.

Lesson Plans: Yes, on the Teacher Resource CD

Secular/Christian: See Publisher. Teaches mainstream science, but discusses "wonder" (Centripetal) and God (Novare).

Program includes labs: Yes. Student information is in back of text, instructor material available separately.

Lab kit available: More difficult materials available for purchase

Math background needed: Strong prealgebra and current Algebra enrollment.

Comments: These books are not very big. 

Not sure where to put the course below- I have a substantial sample if I can send it to someone who knows more than I do. PM me, please.

Honors (Algebra-based) Physics Course

Accelerated Studies in Physics and Chemistry

Publisher: Centripetal (non-religous), Novare (old earth Christian). They use the same solutions manual.

Centripetal

Level: Honors Physics

Teacher Resources: Yes, on CD and a separate solutions manual (answers to math questions are in text). There are additional resources available at the Novare Yahoo Group site. This includes model answers for non-mathematical questions for some of the texts that are linked from a post there.

Secular/Christian: See Publisher note. Teaches mainstream science, but discusses "wonder" (Centripetal) and God (Novare).

Program includes labs: Yes. Student information is in back of text, instructor material available separately.

Lab kit available: No

Background needed: Strong Algebra 1 program (like Dolciani or Forester) AND a Physical Science course.

Comments: I don't feel that this is a stand-alone book, but a solid "step" in the publishers advanced sequence; Physical Science, ASPC, Advanced Chemistry . It assumes student has had a strong intro to physics through a math-strong Physical Science course (like theirs or Derek Owens) and is solid on Algebra 1. For example, momentum doesn't seem to be covered, it is assumed student knows this from physical science. The author is a fan of the Forester series and just looking ASPC over, I can see the connection. The last five chapters are chemistry.

There is also an Advanced Physics (Novare only so far) course, but I don't know enough to comment. Input welcome! https://www.novarescienceandmath.com/product/physics-modeling-nature-bundle/

• Like 1

I do not know the book, but have loked at the TOC

https://www.vitalsource.com/en-uk/products/physics-modeling-nature-john-d-mays-v9780986352959

I would consider this Honors.

The book seems to go far more into theoretical apsects than the run of the mill algebra based text, and also establishes connections to calculus which is not usually done in alg based physics.

I do not know the book, but have looked at the TOC

https://www.vitalsource.com/en-uk/products/physics-modeling-nature-john-d-mays-v9780986352959

I would consider this Honors.

The book seems to go far more into theoretical aspects than the run of the mill algebra based text, and also establishes connections to calculus which is not usually done in alg based physics.

Thanks.

Question- do you think a student would need another physics course before this one?

Question- do you think a student would need another physics course before this one?

No. Almost every physics course I have seen starts from the very beginning. You could take calculus based university physics as your first physics course and do just fine - if you have solid math skills.

I want to add the Novare/ Centripetal Press books to the pinned thread, but I want some Hive Wisdom about where to place them before doing so- or any other comments about them. Here's what I have so far:

Regular Algebra-based Physics Courses

Name: Introductory Physics

Publisher: Centripetal (non-religous), Novare (old earth Christian)

Centripetal

Level: Reg Physics

Teacher Resources: Yes, on CD and a separate solutions manual (answers to math questions are in text). There are additional resources available at the Novare Yahoo Group site. This includes model answers for non-mathematical questions for some of the texts.

Secular/Christian: See Publisher. Teaches mainstream science, but discusses "wonder" (Centripetal) and God (Novare).

Lab kit available: More difficult materials available for purchase

Math background needed: Strong prealgebra and current Algebra enrollment.

Comments: These books are not very big.

Not sure where to put the course below- I have a substantial sample if I can send it to someone who knows more than I do. PM me, please.

Honors (Algebra-based) Physics Course

Accelerated Studies in Physics and Chemistry

Publisher: Centripetal (non-religous), Novare (old earth Christian). They use the same solutions manual.

Centripetal

Level: Honors Physics

Teacher Resources: Yes, on CD and a separate solutions manual (answers to math questions are in text). There are additional resources available at the Novare Yahoo Group site. This includes model answers for non-mathematical questions for some of the texts that are linked from a post there.

Secular/Christian: See Publisher note. Teaches mainstream science, but discusses "wonder" (Centripetal) and God (Novare).

Lab kit available: No

Background needed: Strong Algebra 1 program (like Dolciani or Forester) AND a Physical Science course.

Comments: I don't feel that this is a stand-alone book, but a solid "step" in the publishers advanced sequence; Physical Science, ASPC, Advanced Chemistry . It assumes student has had a strong intro to physics through a math-strong Physical Science course (like theirs or Derek Owens) and is solid on Algebra 1. For example, momentum doesn't seem to be covered, it is assumed student knows this from physical science. The author is a fan of the Forester series and just looking ASPC over, I can see the connection. The last five chapters are chemistry.

There is also an Advanced Physics (Novare only so far) course, but I don't know enough to comment. Input welcome! https://www.novarescienceandmath.com/product/physics-modeling-nature-bundle/

Ok, now I'm a little worried with the emphasis on "strong algebra and physical science background" I just signed up DS for the class at Wilson Hill (before I saw this post). He's working through Jacob's algebra, with the goal to finish this summer. I wouldn't say he has a "strong" physical science background. But, Ds is academically gifted and probably going into veterinary science. Are we in trouble?

Ok, now I'm a little worried with the emphasis on "strong algebra and physical science background" I just signed up DS for the class at Wilson Hill (before I saw this post). He's working through Jacob's algebra, with the goal to finish this summer. I wouldn't say he has a "strong" physical science background. But, Ds is academically gifted and probably going into veterinary science. Are we in trouble?

Post #14 at this thread might help- and you can always ask the teacher: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/611172-wha-wilson-hill-physics-honors-anyone-or-other-online-science-experience/?hl=%2Bwilson+%2Bhill+%2Bnovare&do=findComment&comment=7030379

My comment about Physical Science is because ASPC doesn't cover everything from the beginning- It's only 340 pages long. WHA may address those "gaps" in the course. For us, I think it's exactly what dd needs- she's done Derek Owens Physical Science and Forester Algebra 1, and will do a calc-based class eventually. As Regentrude pointed out, a Calc-based class will probably start at the beginning. Hopefully someone with experience can chime in for you.