Menu

Prayer request for my son who can't sleep

MamaBearTeacher

If he can't tell you what is wrong, then time to get him seen by a doctor (unless your instinct is right and perhaps a dose or two of Miralax?)  My adult son with autism can get constipated but he says nothing, just stops eating much and throws up erratically.  What does maternal instinct tell you?

His twin has had sleep studies, he is bipolar and gets panic attacks, etc. etc. - insomnia can be a bear for him, so he is on a major prescription sleep med and melatonin and juggles his other SIX meds throughout the day to try and ensure an adequate nights sleep since some are stimulants.  

So I "get" the joys of dealing with insomnia. :-(   

Hope you find a solution soon.

• Like 1

Thanks! Please keep praying. he fell asleep this morning but fell asleep in an almost sitting position so he only slept about 3hours. he lay down most of the day. The night before he only has 5 hours sleep and went for a long walk in the wind. The previous few nights were 8-hour nights but before that he had almost 3 weeks of 11-hour nights.

He was not constipated though constipation has kept him awake at times in the past. I am thinking this was dysbiosis. Along with the insomnia he had periods of moaning and giggling. The moaning is what makes it really hard! I really really hope he sleeps tonight!

I tried singing, a variety of poetry read in a low monotone etc. Really, his body should be sleeping!

So, yesterday he did not fall asleep until 9 am and slept only 2-3 hours. He was up all day and then he did not fall asleep at night. He just fell asleep at 8 am this morning after screaming for half an hour. He is holding a clothing hanger in his hand. I hope it does not wake him up. I want him to sleep a lot more today but then what will happen at night? I am afraid to shower or flush the toilet or do anything. I cringed when there was a noisy bird outside.

His sleep has never been this bad. He ate a full orange the other day, including peel. I wonder if that's what started it.

So, yesterday he did not fall asleep until 9 am and slept only 2-3 hours. He was up all day and then he did not fall asleep at night. He just fell asleep at 8 am this morning after screaming for half an hour. He is holding a clothing hanger in his hand. I hope it does not wake him up. I want him to sleep a lot more today but then what will happen at night? I am afraid to shower or flush the toilet or do anything. I cringed when there was a noisy bird outside.

His sleep has never been this bad. He ate a full orange the other day, including peel. I wonder if that's what started it.

It could be. Trying to digest an orange peel could be really tricky. Have you any experience dealing with constipation with this son?  I know from my own experience that constipation does effect sleep, and it can be really painful.

Benefibre is nice and gentle; pegalax or restolax can help. Coffee works amazing for me, too.  Eating foods that build up gas (prunes and beans) just creates lots and lots of pain. Exercise/moving around helps as well.

Hope he feels better and can get some sleep soon.  :grouphug:

• Like 1

it is common for asd kids to have issues with sleep.  I started dudeling on melatonin when he was six - and he promptly started sleeping another two hours a night.  he even asked for it because he noticed he felt better.

adrenal issues can also cause sleep issues - either insomnia or middle of the night/early waking.

I hope you're able to find something that works for him.

• Like 1

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: I will pray that this will settle out, and that you will have strength in the meantime. Lack of sleep is terrible. 

On the chance this is helpful to those who see Melatonin wear off, Nature's Bounty makes bi-layer tablets with both "now" and "later" stages. We use it only on trips where we have jet lag, but it seems to work very well. 

• Like 1

When my older daughter had some trouble sleeping a long time ago, we tried Melatonin. It worked but it would also make her have vivid dreams, wake up in the middle of the night and be unable to fall back asleep. What worked best for her was Valerian root in the evening

• Like 1

He slept about 4 hours this morning and then woke up.  His senses are bothering him more than usual maybe because of sleep deprivation or maybe because of whatever is causing him to not sleep.  He has been extremely constipated in the past and he is not constipted now though the lack of sleep is making him too tired to go.  This is not his usual so I don't want to give him melatonin until I figure out what is causing it.  

I just did not know a person could go with so little sleep unless they were staying awake for a reason i.e.. to do work, go somewhere etc.  I though that given the opportunity they would just fall asleep ... and a few weeks ago he was having 11-hour nights!

• Like 1