Menu

The Living Year but for California?

This past year I had my oldest read "The Living Year" by Richard Headstrom as the New England flora and fauna he discusses are the same or similar to our region in Indiana. We did our nature study and journaling to go along with it as well as writing down our own observations. My son loved the book and it was one of his favorite parts of the year. Now, because of my husband's job, it looks like we will be moving to Northern California this summer. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a book that is similar to the Living Year but with flora and fauna that are more native to northern CA. I wanted to try and do the same again of nature study and journaling through a book like we did last year. He can read up to college level so I would appreciate any suggestions. But, I am not sure this exists. Suggestions?

I haven't read the Living Year, but the first thing that popped in my mind for you to to read John Muir's books. There are many to choose from and endless places to explore in NorCal especially due to our microclimates...it's amazing you can actually surf, hike and ski all in the same day if you were so inclined.

Edited by calbear

I haven't heard of The Living Year, but this book, "One Day at Beetle Rock" by Sally Carrigher.(https://www.amazon.com/One-Beetle-Rock-Sally-Carrighar-ebook/dp/B00CGI3HWC) is what came to my mind when I read your post. It is one of the most amazing naturalist books if have ever read. Beetle Rock is in Sequoia National Park and this woman wrote a series of vignettes about each of the animals that appeared there one summer day. She wrote about each animal, and how it's life intersected with other animals there at the rock. It's hard to explain, but it is truly a remarkable book.

This past year I had my oldest read "The Living Year" by Richard Headstrom as the New England flora and fauna he discusses are the same or similar to our region in Indiana. We did our nature study and journaling to go along with it as well as writing down our own observations. My son loved the book and it was one of his favorite parts of the year. Now, because of my husband's job, it looks like we will be moving to Northern California this summer. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a book that is similar to the Living Year but with flora and fauna that are more native to northern CA. I wanted to try and do the same again of nature study and journaling through a book like we did last year. He can read up to college level so I would appreciate any suggestions. But, I am not sure this exists. Suggestions?

As others mentioned you might have better luck finding resources if you search for resources for a specific area of Nor Cal - coast, valley, Sierra Nevada, etc. Each area is really different. But probably the most popular resource has already been mentioned, and that is John Muir Laws.

Eta.... Both John Muir AND John Muir Laws are good resources

Edited by Ms.Ivy
  • Like 1

As others mentioned you might have better luck finding resources if you search for resources for a specific area of Nor Cal - coast, valley, Sierra Nevada, etc.  Each area is really different.  But probably the most popular resource has already been mentioned, and that is John Muir Laws.  

This.  California is a patchwork quilt.  Where I live (valley) is nothing like where my DH works (Sierra foothills) which is nothing like where we drive to see a ballgame (coast / SF), which is nothing like our very favorite camping spot on the planet, so far (Juniper Lake, Lassen National Park).  

Oh my goodness! Well, as others have said, California is a wonderful place for a myriad of nature study. I am among those unfamiliar with the book you mentioned, but just a pick a micro-climate, check up of available local resources, grab a sketch book, and go for it! I picked up a California Foraging book at Costco the other day, and we are going to take some time to learn about edible native plants in the various areas we find ourselves this summer. There are so many wonderful options and ways to study nature in Northern California. We live on the coast in temperate rainforest, and as others have said, amazingly different environments are just a few hours drive away--all stunningly beautiful. :)