What's with the ads?

Photo

How does this sound for Latin and Spanish?

5 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Spudater

Spudater

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:48 PM

Background: this was our third year of Latin (SSL 1 and 2, almost halfway through GSWL), and dd 11 has bee doing duolingo Spanish all spring (has made it up to Determiners). I took 2 yrs of college Latin and one semester of Spanish. My ILs are a native speaker and one near fluent.

I want to ease off Latin a touch and do more Spanish next year. How does this plan look?

Latin: GSWL and flashcards 3x/ wk, daily Latin hymn and prayer.

Spanish: duolingo, Spanish prayer, and song daily; GSWS 2x/wk, watch a Spanish kids show once a wk, Facetime with ILs in Spanish once a week.

#2 Renai

Renai

Icon Queen and Head Ninja Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10741 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:28 PM

I've not used GSWS, but I know it has good reviews. Since you are familiar with Spanish and have access to native speakers, this would be a nice, painless way to get the grammar and also have speaking and listening practice.

#3 Spudater

Spudater

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:09 AM

I've not used GSWS, but I know it has good reviews. Since you are familiar with Spanish and have access to native speakers, this would be a nice, painless way to get the grammar and also have speaking and listening practice.

Thanks, Renai. :)

#4 SusanC

SusanC

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2760 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:02 AM

That sounds great. I have a few thoughts for you.

If you need FaceTime topics, maybe have your ILs read a story out loud for a few minutes. Sounds childish, but it is a pleasant form of immersion and conversation starter.

I've been having my language learners read through the Caesar's English book(s) which incorporate some Spanish and Latin into vocabulary study.

#5 Renai

Renai

Icon Queen and Head Ninja Elephant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10741 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:05 AM

That sounds great. I have a few thoughts for you.

If you need FaceTime topics, maybe have your ILs read a story out loud for a few minutes. Sounds childish, but it is a pleasant form of immersion and conversation starter.

I've been having my language learners read through the Caesar's English book(s) which incorporate some Spanish and Latin into vocabulary study.

:iagree:  Also, stories introduce or reinforce a lot of vocabulary and in-context grammar usage. A lot of vocabulary is assumed to be known at even young ages for native speakers. Reading stories introduces this "common" vocabulary that may not otherwise be explicitly taught. It is one of the reasons I base my teaching of Spanish on literature (first using common, translated stories, and integrating native materials). I remember working in a dual-language 1st grade classroom years ago and learning so much vocabulary myself! 

#6 Spudater

Spudater

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:17 AM

That's a great idea! That's one of the reasons I think this fell apart in the past, is that they got frustrated just wanting to chat and didn't have the vocab to do it in Spanish so rather than twiddle their thumbs they just switched back to English.