Menu

Rainbow Science, Derek Owens Physical Science, Exploration Educaion

wehave8

Rainbow Science, Derek Owens Physical Science, Exploration Education  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for which you would recommend. Please tell why.

• Rainbow Science
    • Derek Owens Physical Science
    • Exploration Education

I've used both Rainbow and DO.

Rainbow would probably be my choice.  My older 3 boys have done it completely independently, and it's very experiment heavy.  

DO is, I think, is a bit harder.  There's math involved.  My older two did it after the first year of Rainbow.  

DO is fairly independent, which is why I chose it.

Eldest did Rainbow in 8th, but it was NOT independent for her. (And dd#2, who was in 6th, couldn't keep up with the math or concepts.) I know a lot of people have kids who can do Rainbow independently, but my kid couldn't. Your mileage may vary.

We have Rainbow Science and EE experience. Of the two, EE was more independent in our house, but ymmv. It is a fun year with lots of hands on learning. Rainbow is a good option, but the way it worked best for us was to go over the discussion questions together. Rainbow took less time overall but the length of lessons is variable in EE due to the projects that are built.

• Like 2

The more I look into the three of these, it looks like DO is not hands on.  I don't see that there is any kit or list of supplies to have on hand?

I know I didn't state hands on in my original post, but I really think at 7th and 8th grade, I'd like that instead of just lectures and workbook.

Please set me straight if I'm wrong.  :)

Pam

My older kids don't have trouble with math and science. We did the first year of Rainbow in sixth. Mostly independent, we did discuss a lot of the chemistry in particular and did a few experiments together. I found the chemistry is trying to hit the high points for high school prep, but without as much textbook reading as some texts would have. For one kid who reads a lot of science and is more intuitive, that was perfect, but the other needed more explanation and discussion to connect the dots.

I think eighth grade would be okay but we could have easily finished 3/4 of the two years in a year. As written, it takes very little time.

I have looked over the Derek Owens samples and I think it's an increase in difficulty from Rainbow. I'm actually planning to use it for eighth for a child that has already done Rainbow.

EE is very hands on for a hands on learner. It was fun and educational.

DO is more academic with more math.

Rainbow looked good, but never got done in my home. 

We haven't used DO for Physical Science, and never owned the full kit for Rainbow, but I agree with Julie.  EE actually got done here.  I loved that the DVD lessons showed how to do the projects step by step which helped us to be successful with it.  

• Like 2

We haven't used DO for Physical Science, and never owned the full kit for Rainbow, but I agree with Julie. EE actually got done here. I loved that the DVD lessons showed how to do the projects step by step which helped us to be successful with it.

If you go with Rainbow, do get the full kit. It comes with every single thing you need, including a pencil.

My oldest two did it together in 7th & 8th and had fun doing the experiments together.

• Like 1

Are you opposed to Christian publishers? Dive earth science might be a good option.

https://www.diveintomath.com/earth-science-7th-8th-grade/

I had a DIVE program for math once.  I never thought to look into it for science.  I thought he (DIVE) taught to a specific 'book/curriculum'.   Is it video/online and workbook only?

Pam

OH, NO!  Another option!!  :)

My 6th and 8th grade boys used EE completely independently one year when life as we knew it collapsed. I was so grateful that everything they needed was in the box, instructions were clear and they could do it all by themselves. I just took pictures of the projects for the end-of-year review. They LOVED that year of science.  I did the elementary version with my son and a co-op class a few years later b/c I loved the hands-on projects so much. The author is helpful and quick to respond if you have any questions. 

• Like 1