Menu

Classical Conversations: What are requirements for Challenge A Tutor?

Does a person who is interested in tutoring Challenge A have to have tutored Essentials beforehand?   I heard that Essentials was a prerequisite but didn't understand if the leader meant attendance or tutor of Essentials.

What are the requirements for one to be considered for this tutoring role?

When we were involved it was pretty loose. They were wanting some experience teaching/tutoring a group, but a year of teaching Sunday School at any level seemed sufficient. There was a tutor at our campus who had just that and was hired. 

After we left, I got multiple calls every year from multiple campuses, but mine didn't want to go back. You had to have ALL of your kids enrolled.

Now I'm two weeks from being a "retired" homeschool parent, and I still couldn't do it. At one point I had planned that as a job for this period of life, but now they require that you be currently homeschooling.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 1

When we were involved it was pretty loose. They were wanting some experience teaching/tutoring a group, but a year of teaching Sunday School at any level seemed sufficient. There was a tutor at our campus who had just that and was hired. 

After we left, I got multiple calls every year from multiple campuses, but mine didn't want to go back. You had to have ALL of your kids enrolled.

Now I'm two weeks from being a "retired" homeschool parent, and I still couldn't do it. At one point I had planned that as a job for this period of life, but now they require that you be currently homeschooling.

I have  heard of many many excellent and qualified tutors whose children aren't being homeschooled at the high school level that can't teach Challenge levels due to CC's rules.  It's really sad.  The very people who have the most time to do a great job are retired homeschool parents or those who have older children that may have taken other educational routes.  Again, it's just sad.

• Like 4

I agree. We have quite a few retired homeschool parents at our two co ops and they truly are some of The best!! I don't understand this rule at all.

We are looking at CC again this year but due to the science, changing and splitting campuses etc it's a tough decision. CC is really a weird concept For community- which I love....but can never seem to make it fit my needs due to the splitting, the science, the rules, etc. :).

Plus I love having outside teacher grading!!!! I was just assembling my son's grades and love it that he has grade reports and grades and even syllabi all ready for me to print and file and that my so earned it and I filed it and I didn't have to spend a million hours grading

Edited by Calming Tea
  • Like 1

Apparently nothing. I've been asked and begged three times by CC directors to come to CC and be a tutor. I have no college degree and no real skills except intelligence and classroom management /being Type A

I actually like the concept of the tutors, but I think should go a step folder and encourage the kids to become tutors and teach each other as well.  Out of all my courses the main one I remember most is my Cultural Anthropology course when I was attending Community College (I know not the same as CC) and our professor taught I think 6 chapters and then got us into groups and made our groups teach a chapter each.  The gender chapter I remember most out of that whole course.  I remember even things I wish I could forget.  LOL. But there is truth to teaching is learning.

• Like 2