Menu

IOWA score differences--how much should I care?

DS11 dropped from 95% to 67% in Reading Comprehension

DS9 dropped from 71% to 38% in Capitalization

I really don't know what would have caused these (to me) significant differences other than rushing through and not checking answers.  

Thoughts? I certainly can go over capitalization some more, but I am wondering if maybe he filled in the bubbles wrong or something.  For the reading comprehension, I have no explanation. He has read tons of good books.  His vocabulary score was 99.  

My son's reading comprehension score (ITBS) dropped a few years in a row when he was 10-11yo.  I was astounded because I was sure his reading had actually improved year to year.  Finally I informed him that he had to read the entire RC test aloud--passages, questions, and answers.  His score went right back where it had been before the decline.  

So I asked him what he thought helped.  That was when he informed me that he had been answering the questions without reading the passages.  

We also had an issue with his capitalization and punctuation scores when he was 8-9yo.  The next year we used Hake Grammar and his scores in those areas shot way up.

• Like 1

My son's reading comprehension score (ITBS) dropped a few years in a row when he was 10-11yo.  I was astounded because I was sure his reading had actually improved year to year.  Finally I informed him that he had to read the entire RC test aloud--passages, questions, and answers.  His score went right back where it had been before the decline.  

So I asked him what he thought helped.  That was when he informed me that he had been answering the questions without reading the passages.  

We also had an issue with his capitalization and punctuation scores when he was 8-9yo.  The next year we used Hake Grammar and his scores in those areas shot way up.

Thank you! This is very helpful.  We were going to do Analytical Grammar in the fall. I will have to look at the punctuation/capitalization part of it.  I sort of doubt it covers it adequately. 

I really wonder on the "rushing" type of thing you are referring to with the reading.  He finished his test way before time was up and despite my suggestion to go back and review it, he didn't. It's a good idea to have him read it aloud.

Edited by cintinative

It could have been just a bad day too.  I would discuss the results with them and see if they give any insight as to why.  Maybe they were not feeling well or just not paying attention.  If you test next year remind them that they need to pay attention to the questions and where they are putting it on the answer sheet

• Like 1

Do you go over their results with them? I wonder how seriously they took the test? If they knew you would consider the results with an eye to adding more work to their plate, perhaps they would go back and review answers.

We go over results band I let them know that the test isn't something to be stressed over, but that I do use it to help make decisions on changes/additions to their work schedule.

I would be more concerned about the reading comp drop and not so much about capitalization. But, the first step would be to question my kid if they remember those tests (two reading tests, I think).

Editor in Chief is an example of a supplement that doesn't take much time but would help with capitalization.

Do you go over their results with them? I wonder how seriously they took the test? If they knew you would consider the results with an eye to adding more work to their plate, perhaps they would go back and review answers.

We go over results band I let them know that the test isn't something to be stressed over, but that I do use it to help make decisions on changes/additions to their work schedule.

I would be more concerned about the reading comp drop and not so much about capitalization. But, the first step would be to question my kid if they remember those tests (two reading tests, I think).

Editor in Chief is an example of a supplement that doesn't take much time but would help with capitalization.

I did today.

My oldest (with the reading comprehension drop) admitted he had a little trouble with the reading section when I asked how it went. However, based on his answer I think he didn't read the passages well enough.  One thing I need to do come fall is have him do more of his own reading in history and science (I have been reading aloud since we combine our kids for these) and have him answer questions and/or take notes.  I really am surprised by it. The only explanation I can come up with is that he rushed.  

My youngest doesn't seem to know why he did poorly on the capitalization, but that is easier to remedy.  =) 

• Like 1

DS11 dropped from 95% to 67% in Reading Comprehension

DS9 dropped from 71% to 38% in Capitalization

I really don't know what would have caused these (to me) significant differences other than rushing through and not checking answers.

Thoughts? I certainly can go over capitalization some more, but I am wondering if maybe he filled in the bubbles wrong or something. For the reading comprehension, I have no explanation. He has read tons of good books. His vocabulary score was 99.

If you ask your son about what he's reading, does he seem to have good comprehension? Does your other son capitalize correctly in his writing? If so, I'd assume it was a bad day and move on.

• Like 1

If you ask your son about what he's reading, does he seem to have good comprehension? Does your other son capitalize correctly in his writing? If so, I'd assume it was a bad day and move on.

Yes for the first. When we discuss books, he seems to.  Plus he did well the year prior on the reading comprehension portion of the test.

For the second--my youngest struggles with hurrying and missing these things. He is sort of lazy about punctuation or capitalization.  =)  My guess is he rushed.

I have a kid whose results on the Reading Comp were not as high as they could have been, but they were good. The results mirrored what I've noticed when she reads high quality/high level books for school. She often doesn't catch what happened or details unless we talk about them. As she goes into high school, she'll need to have those higher level reading comprehension skills - it isn't just a standardized testing thing. (I actually posted asking about resources I could possibly use as a supplement.)

Because of her age & that she just needs to work on how to do these things, we're going to use standardized test prep to practice. She'll be able to apply what she learns to all her other high school work.

I think it is important to see if the test results mirror what you see at home or if they are a surprise. If they are a surprise, often it is JUST a testing thing or just a bad day thing. If you see them in day-to-day work, then you have to decide if you want to work on the topic.

My kids are not great spellers in their daily work, but they are better than they used to be. With my olders, it isn't something I'm spending time working on specifically. So, I won't be making a change in their schedules next year because of a poor grade in spelling. I might add a supplement for capitalization or punctuation depending on the kid, though. Each situation is different and important to take into account.

BTW, congrats on elder's vocab %!

• Like 1