Menu

From Second Form Latin to Latin Alive 2?

MamaSprout

I asked CAP about this a couple of weeks ago as my dd is switching to taking Latin at WHA which uses the Latin Alive Series.  Although my dd has gone through much of Henle (maybe up to Lesson 24 or so) and will have completed the first two MP Forms (First and Second Form), they still advise that Latin Alive Book 1 is the best place to start.  There is a lot of new vocabulary plus a lot of Latin readings in mythology in the Latin Alive books compared to the MP Form Series.

However, I do think you could go quickly through the first half of Book 1 if you were doing it on your own (not in a scheduled online class).

• Like 1

Hmmm. She's also already done BBLL 1&2, so she knows more vocabulary than the Form/ Henle books, and she and knows the mythology already. However, I already have SF, and it gets done. I was going to stay with it this year and switch the next year when she's in 8th/9th.

I already bought and sold LA1 once already. Maybe I just need to stay with the Forms and rubber stamp Latin after that.

I also asked this question a few weeks ago and emailed CAP.  I ended up printing off the TOC for LA1 and went through it with my ds.  While he has covered many things in the TOC (he's in SFL-just finished unit 2), there is also a lot that would be new. 

I haven't decided what we're doing yet.  He really wants to drop Latin altogether, and I just don't know yet.  Switching programs was one my tactics to keep him interested. 

If we go with LA1 this year, we'll need to cut something else back, but I think that might more sense long term. Dd has asked to do as little screen time during school as possible and no online classes, and my plan was to switch to Lukeion after SF. Latin Alive has the benefit of clear cut 1 credit = 1 year.

• Like 1