Menu

Grammar ideas?

Piper

Hoping someone has some good tips on this! I've been using R&S for grammar for my dd, who seems to be doing pretty well with it. It doesn't seem to gel for my ds (almost 10), though. I have been working through "Treasured Conversations" with him the last part of this year and the grammar is finally sticking for him, using this. Can't say he enjoys grammar  :laugh:  but at least he's getting it - and enjoying the stories! And he's not fighting me about it.  :hurray:

I'm wondering what I should move on to for next year? We tried "Growing With Grammar" with both kids a couple of years ago and retention was next to nil, even for dd, so I'm not keen to go back to that. But I'm hoping that somewhere...out there...there's a grammar curriculum that's gentle, clear, not too dry, but effective... 

Thanks for any help!

If your kid is musical and likes to make up songs, Shurley might be good.  I am a huge fan of Shurley- quick, easy, and has plenty of practice.  My students who learn with Easy Grammar forget everything.  My old students who learned Shurley remember almost all of it.  My own child has done both and much prefers Shurley.  The jingles with the curriculum are lousy, but my class made up their own jingles to nursery songs or common songs.  I can send you mine if you like. I plan on starting my littles in Shurley about 3rd or 4th grade.

• Like 1

We use "First Language Lessons" by Jessie Wise.  We love it.  It complements "Writing With Ease" too if you use that one.  What's nice about FLL is the lessons are short and varied.  They are plenty of repetitions so your child remembers what he/she learns.  You learn poetry, picture study, narration, parts of a sentence and so on.  We are using FLL2 now and it is just as good as the first. 

I supplement the book with my own exercises.  Otherwise I would get the "Big" workbooks for their sections on Language Arts.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

So many great suggestions! Thank you!! I think I'm going to try him out with Fix It! Grammar, as the format of correcting/identifying grammar concepts within a story is similar to how TC works, and I think doing it all "in context" helps him a lot.

Thanks again, Hive! :)

• Like 1