Menu

Orton-Gillingham for French

Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster :) 

Has anyone tried the Montessori Orton-Gillngham program for French, i.e.

ttps://www.amazon.fr/Montessori-Workbook-3b-Dictation-conjugation/dp/1537233688/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1495039876&sr=1-11&keywords=french+montessori

My 8 year old attends a French Immersion school for 3rd grade but we will be homeschooling him this summer as he is struggling with some reading issues in both English and French (he has ADHD so has gotten behind).  We have been recommended several home Orton-Gillngham programs for English and I found this one for French.  it says "I can teach myself French" but I am not sure about that, I can read basic French but I am not a native speaker so cannot pronounce.  

Just wondering if anyone has used this or a similar program to help teach French reading?

Thanks in advance.

Amy

We use a phonetic reading program for French called Leo et Lea.  Another one we have is Je lis et j'écris avec Salto.  Both of these are for native speakers.  

I have not seen the program you mentioned before.  It looks very interesting, but it looks like there are quite a few components and it may be difficult to figure out exactly what you need, unless you are just continuing with materials he is already using in school.  

You might also take a look at the program Jolly Phonique .  This is designed for French learners (the program is English, by the same who do Jolly Phonics I believe), but I'm guessing it assumes a fluent French teacher.  I own it and it's buried in my basement somewhere, it didn't come with any sort of audio components, but the book is a series of worksheets grouped by phoneme plus lesson plans if I recall correctly.

Is there any chance that your child has stealth dyslexia?

We recently had him re-tested and they suggested a language based learning disability with components of dyslexia which is why the OG system was recommended for English. We are going to do intense work with the Barton system this summer but also want to work with him with French.  He is gifted but apparently severe ADHD so I am not 100% in agreement with the tests (as I think he was intentionally under performing in some issues)

We recently had him re-tested and they suggested a language based learning disability with components of dyslexia which is why the OG system was recommended for English. We are going to do intense work with the Barton system this summer but also want to work with him with French.  He is gifted but apparently severe ADHD so I am not 100% in agreement with the tests (as I think he was intentionally under performing in some issues)

Dyslexia and ADHD are frequently comorbid so there is a good possibility he is dealing with both, especially if he is gifted but underperforming in language based subjects.  That can make learning languages quite...complex.  Especially when trying to learn two different languages simultaneously.  I can't say much about the system you are considering because I haven't used it.  I have used Barton.  I would urge you to go slowly with Barton.  The goal is to master and internalize and that may take shorter lessons over a longer period of time rather than longer lessons rushed through over a shorter period of time.  Did he pass the Barton student screening?

• Like 1

Dyslexia and ADHD are frequently comorbid so there is a good possibility he is dealing with both, especially if he is gifted but underperforming in language based subjects.  That can make learning languages quite...complex.  Especially when trying to learn two different languages simultaneously.  I can't say much about the system you are considering because I haven't used it.  I have used Barton.  I would urge you to go slowly with Barton.  The goal is to master and internalize and that may take shorter lessons over a longer period of time rather than longer lessons rushed through over a shorter period of time.  Did he pass the Barton student screening?

He did pass the Barton screening, we haven't started yet as we are waiting for school to finish -- and watch apparently a very long DVD for parents LOL. Thanks for the suggestion on shorter lessons, I doubt he has the attention for longer ones so we were going to try shorter lessons but more frequently and see how he does.  And yes, the eval suggested that we re-think him doing 2 languages, and we very well may in the future, but he is at a small school where he (and most of his classmates) has been since age  2 --he's now 8.5 and does NOT want to leave his second home.  We are worried that would be more traumatic for him right now. We are going to work this summer with him and hope to have some help next year and take it bit by bit.

He did pass the Barton screening, we haven't started yet as we are waiting for school to finish -- and watch apparently a very long DVD for parents LOL. Thanks for the suggestion on shorter lessons, I doubt he has the attention for longer ones so we were going to try shorter lessons but more frequently and see how he does.  And yes, the eval suggested that we re-think him doing 2 languages, and we very well may in the future, but he is at a small school where he (and most of his classmates) has been since age  2 --he's now 8.5 and does NOT want to leave his second home.  We are worried that would be more traumatic for him right now. We are going to work this summer with him and hope to have some help next year and take it bit by bit.

Actually, if you have Level 1 already, you might go ahead and start watching the video now.  It is kind of boring but you don't have to sit through the entire thing in one sitting.  :)  Just drink lots of caffeine and it should be fine doing the DVD in short bursts.  It should be really helpful for wrapping your brain around the system.  Read through the TM as you watch the video.  That can help, too.  It may take some quiet practicing to get used to the hand gestures and interacting with the tiles.  I would definitely practice a bit before starting the lessons.  

Level 1 is very short, by the way.  Unless he has other issues (such as an auditory processing disorder of some kind) he may be able to get through Level 1 in 2-3 weeks, possibly much sooner (although possibly much longer depending on how serious the issues he is encountering).  Level 2 will take longer but again unless there are additional underlying issues he might make it through Level 2 in 2 months, maybe significantly less.  Level 3 will take longer.  It has a lot more lessons and the lessons are each much longer.  Still, he might make it through Level 3 in 3-5 months, maybe less.  Level 4...is not an easy level.  And takes a really long time and a lot of effort for most kids.  In fact, for many it is by far the hardest level of the 10.  Plan on taking a significant amount of time with Level 4.  Maybe 6 months to a year or even longer.  The other levels after 4 usually (but not always) go faster than Level 4.

The main thing is not to rush since the goal is not to memorize the rules (which dyslexics are usually quite bad at) but to learn, master and internalize the rules.  Dyslexic kids frequently need a whole lot of review to master language based learning, especially to the point things are internalized and automatic.

i did want to mention that if you think he would like games to reinforce the Barton lessons look into the Spelling Success card games.  They were designed by a Barton tutor and are specifically for Barton.  I don't know what shipping costs would be but they are great for reinforcement and for keeping lessons going if you are having a bad day.

https://www.spellingsuccess.com/products

Good luck and best wishes.  I hope you both have a fantastic summer.   :)

Good luck and best wishes.  I hope you both have a fantastic summer.   :)

Thank you SO much!! We do have level 1 and just bought level 2. Thanks for the detailed info, wasn't sure what we were looking at, we will pull out the DVD this weekend.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

I saw this thread and I'm wondering how this went and if you have any suggestions best curriculum/books/methods for teaching French to kids with dyslexia?  I have two dyslexic kids 10 and 12 that will be attending French/English immersion programs in the fall. While they have had remediation for dyslexia in English they have no experience with French and I'm trying to figure out best ways to get them some foundation in French before the fall?  We homeschool now but will be in the immersion school starting in Sept.  Thank you for any advice.