Menu

Unusual h.s. Graduation/diploma question

TwoEdgedSword

Please don't quote this post.

Oldest child J, is about to graduate in a couple of weeks. J was homeschooled for the entire education, until last year and half where J dual enrolled in local public school and took junior college classes through the h.s. as well as core and elective courses. J continued a couple homeschool courses during this time.

J has aced every course there with the highest gpa in the school.

J will be attending a homeschool grad ceremony commemorating all the years of homeschooling and the public school one as well.

The school seems to be offering to adopt J's homeschool transcript into the public school transcript record and offer a full public school diploma at the grad ceremony.

If this was offered to your child would your encourage taking this? Why or why not?

Btw, J is admitted at the college of J's choice for the fall. College has seen the public school and homeschool transcripts separately,

Thank you!!

X posted at high school forum

Yes, you never know when it might come in handy.  My cousin, who is 55 years old, a nurse practitioner with a PhD (plus several masters degrees) and years of experience was just hired for a new job--one of the documents she had to provide before starting to work--a copy of her high school diploma.  (the job was as a nurse practitioner in a NICU).

• Like 3

Actually, that's exactly what we did.  Most likely my kids wouldn't have absolutely needed it, but I think it did make some things easier.  For example, one of my children ended up going to college (all four years) abroad.  This would have been far more complicated if she only had a homeschool degree.  

Generally, it wasn't needed to apply for colleges in the states, but it probably eliminated some extra test-taking, and also, my kids still had the option of highlighting their homeschool experience.  There might be other situations in the future when it is handy to have as well.

• Like 1