Menu

Best Science Subscription Boxes?

Can you tell me more about these?   What is included?  How difficult were they to build?   Could a group of three students follow along?  

The first kit you get includes a breadboard and all the wires, resistors, etc. you need to make the first project (which is a light sensitive LED). Subsequent projects include just the necessary wires, etc. (you re-use the breadboard). If you don't want to take apart previous projects to build the new one, you can buy additional basekit sets (breadboard and batter pack). Those are $12 each plus $3 shipping. 

They are not difficult to build, and the videos do a nice job of walking your through it. It starts with explaining the different components and how they work, and you build a couple of different circuits to see how things work together. Then you build the final project, putting it all together. DS had never done any electronics before, and I helped him a couple of times with bending a wire nicely (but he could have gotten by without me. I just like to feel useful :)). 

Three students could follow along, but they'd have to take turns doing the actual building. There's only one kit included. 

There are also a couple of multiple choice questions asked, and a couple of videos where the teacher is explaining how something works, so there's not any actual building for those. After those videos, students are asked to write a summary of what they just learned (although that can easily be skipped if you like.) 

• Like 1

My 10-year-old son learned a lot doing the electronics boxes from EEME. The videos and activities that go with them are really good. 

I second EEME. My soon to be 10 year old enjoys and he feels very accomplished with the finished projects. They beep and/or light, so they are very tangible and it's not only one time reaction like chemistry sets. (Although we love chemistry sets, the ones we do tend to be just one time bang!)

The another reason we like EEME is their wonderful customer service.

If we were not doing EEME, I would be interested in Creation Crate. They look a bit more advanced thatn EEME. 

https://creationcrate.com/

Edited by MasaMama