Menu

Summer Internship Apartment Needs

Hoggirl

Ds will be starting a paid summer internship in mid-June. He and a friend (who is also doing an internship in the same city) came to the conclusion that renting an unfurnished apartment and renting furniture was more affordable than renting a corporate apartment. To further keep costs down, they are renting a one bedroom and putting a bed in the living room as well. Lol. Ds will likely travel M - Th, but the friend/roommate will be there all week, I have suggested perhaps purchasing an inflatable bed for the living room rather than renting two beds depending on the cost differential. Anyway, I'm not sure they are getting that there will be NOTHING in the apartment. We will fly out to visit before the internship starts and help him get situated. I am trying to come up with a list of bare bones necessities. I can't imagine they will do much cooking, but I'd like for them to have a few kitchen items to minimize eating out ALL the time, which I fear would mitigate any savings they are getting by going this route. Likely anything will be pitched at the end of the summer (except maybe the inflatable bed/mattress). Can y'all help me brainstorm a list of necessities? We want this to also be somewhat of a vacation for all of us, so I prefer purchasing new (but cheap) in lieu of spending our four days scouring Goodwill or thrift stores. We're flying, so we aren't hauling things out there. So far I have thought of:

Toilet paper (! - don't even think ds gets this isn't a dorm/hotel)

Cookie sheet

Saucepan/skillet

Can opener

Silverware & dishes & glasses/cups (perhaps all disposable? though I think a few non-plastic/non-paper items would be nice - for microwaving leftovers, cereal, soup)

Small cutting board

Paring knife

Spatula

Large serving spoon

Trash can/trash bags

Paper towels, Saran Wrap, foil, etc

Few cleaning supplies

Laundry supplies (I'll suggest he bring his hamper from school)

Sheets (he'll have towels from school, but bed size at apt won't be XL Twin)

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'd just like to be as prepared as possible so we can maybe knock out the majority of needs in one trip to a big box store.

Thanks for any ideas!

Edited by Hoggirl

At that age I bought a matress (maybe I got that used, don't want to think about it) threw it on the floor and called that good.

I picked up stuff as I needed. I learned where the thrift and whatever cheap dept store in the area was. So no stocking all at once. You improvise cooking with a pan and fork and spoon because you want to save a tiny bit and not invest in larger spoons, spatulas. You fo have to have one knife.

• Like 2

It doesn't cost much for minimal dishes and silverware. I wouldn't use disposable. Are they coffee/tea drinkers in the morning? Kitchen towels and dish cloth or sponges. I would get good mattress covers for the beds. What are the rental agreements if they spill on the rental furniture? They might need some kind of upholstery cleaner. If your son is only there a couple of days a week I wouldn't worry much. He'll probably go for take out. ;)  

• Like 1

Would he be in my area for internship? I have a spare folding table and a single sofa bed as well as a small three tier metal rack that he can use for summer as long as they can haul it.

Bed Bath and Beyond, Daiso, Macy's would have plenty of the kitchenware. I have some spares too.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Gladware and Ziploc bags for storing leftovers, and a laundry basket.  These are what I have learned to take with me when we rent a furnished apartment or condo for a week.

Is he dressing up for work?  If so, hangers for the closet, maybe an iron or steamer for refreshing between laundry/dry cleaning.

Salt and pepper, even for take-out.  Nothing worse than getting home and finding someone forgot to salt the fries.

• Like 1

Arcadia! What a lovely offer! I will send you a pm. Sadly, they won't have a way to haul much, however.

Dish towels are a great idea to add to the list.

There is a microwave in the unit. To me, the broiler in the oven can serve as a toaster oven.

I know they will likely do take-out some, but I'm hoping not ALL the time. A skillet and saucepan can go along way, IF they will use them! Scrambling eggs, browning ground beef for tacos, heating up soup, etc.

• Like 1

Ds will be starting a paid summer internship in mid-June. He and a friend (who is also doing an internship in the same city) came to the conclusion that renting an unfurnished apartment and renting furniture was more affordable than renting a corporate apartment. To further keep costs down, they are renting a one bedroom and putting a bed in the living room as well. Lol. Ds will likely travel M - Th, but the friend/roommate will be there all week, I have suggested perhaps purchasing an inflatable bed for the living room rather than renting two beds depending on the cost differential. Anyway, I'm not sure they are getting that there will be NOTHING in the apartment. We will fly out to visit before the internship starts and help him get situated. I am trying to come up with a list of bare bones necessities. I can't imagine they will do much cooking, but I'd like for them to have a few kitchen items to minimize eating out ALL the time, which I fear would mitigate any savings they are getting by going this route. Likely anything will be pitched at the end of the summer (except maybe the inflatable bed/mattress). Can y'all help me brainstorm a list of necessities? We want this to also be somewhat of a vacation for all of us, so I prefer purchasing new (but cheap) in lieu of spending our four days scouring Goodwill or thrift stores. We're flying, so we aren't hauling things out there. So far I have thought of:

Toilet paper (! - don't even think ds gets this isn't a dorm/hotel)

Cookie sheet

Saucepan/skillet

Can opener

Silverware & dishes & glasses/cups (perhaps all disposable? though I think a few non-plastic/non-paper items would be nice - for microwaving leftovers, cereal, soup)

Small cutting board

Paring knife

Spatula

Large serving spoon

Trash can/trash bags

Paper towels, Saran Wrap, foil, etc

Few cleaning supplies

Laundry supplies (I'll suggest he bring his hamper from school)

Sheets (he'll have towels from school, but bed size at apt won't be XL Twin)

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'd just like to be as prepared as possible so we can maybe knock out the majority of needs in one trip to a big box store.

Thanks for any ideas!

Can opener

A single pot for cooking canned soups (2 qt or 3qt)

A large spoon for stirring

I'd do disposable plates and cheap (Maybe from Walmart) silverware. The plastic stuff does not work that well. Either cheap cups. Or they start saving the plastic cups when they eat out to reuse. Oh and there are disposable plates that can be microwaved. I do it at work all the time.

Small Cutting board, paring knife, and a real/larger knife

Trash can and trash bags

Saran Wrap and Foil only if you think they will put away food to reuse -- in which case you need some storage containers.

A couple of mugs -- for making hot chocolate, etc.

Dish cleaning supplies (Whether that be dishwasher tabs or hand washing stuff)

Yes, a spatula. (not the kind to scrape sides. The kind to flip burgers, etc)

Pillow

Beyond that -- let them buy what they need as the need comes up if you really don't think they will be eating at home.

• Like 2

Think like they are backpacking lite.

Sleeping bag and dollar store pool mattress inflatable.

Leatherman knife and can opener, a spoon,and a fork. Pot and pan, aluminum foil.use the grocery store bag for the trash bag. Use and reuse ziplocks for storing food. One plastic dish for eating off of,that has high enugh edges for soup.

Camping style foldable.chair.

Laptop or tablet for streaming and ebooks.

Thrift shop lamp if the place has no overheads.

Water bottle and camping cup.

A few spices.

A card table...donate to library if they don't find one to borrow or acquire via craigslist

My minimalist list would be:

Cheap sleeping bag

A few stacked camping pads

Pillow and case

Towel

Toilet kit

Shower curtain (or gym membership)

Toilet paper

Shampoo

Bathroom sponges

Mug

Travel mug

A few cloth napkins

Bowl

Spoon

Teakettle (this way you can have a hot drink even if you haven't done the dishes)

Kitchen towels

Sponge

Dish soap

Saucepan

Wooden spoon

Paper towels

Dustpan and brush

Sandwich box

Lamp

Bulb

Hangers

Nice to have:

Kitchen knife so you don't have to use your jackknife

Frying pan

Plate

Knife

Fork

Cutting board

Brownie pan

Mixing bowl

French press

One of those pillows you lean back on

I would tell them to keep any food and liquid containers they aquire and plastic bags to reuse. I would tell them to make breakfast and lunch and their coffee and find a cheap way to eat dinner, like the deli stuff at the grocery store part of the time. I would suggest acquiring some boxes at the grocery store to put clothes in or as book cases or whatever.

My sons would go very minimalist and live on the floor, but they are used to living in tight quarters with minimal stuff. A beanbag chair, rollup futon, trash can, and milk crates would be an upgrade.

Nan

Edited by Nan in Mass
  • Like 2

Super suggestions! Can't believe I forgot about a shower curtain and bath mat! This is why I love running things by all the smarties on this board!!

He talked about an Airbnb for a bit. Not sure why this decision was made instead. It's his $, and he is pretty frugal. Though it seems crazy expensive to me. Not used to big city prices. Hoping he made a good choice.

• Like 2

Ds will be starting a paid summer internship in mid-June. He and a friend (who is also doing an internship in the same city) came to the conclusion that renting an unfurnished apartment and renting furniture was more affordable than renting a corporate apartment. To further keep costs down, they are renting a one bedroom and putting a bed in the living room as well. Lol. Ds will likely travel M - Th, but the friend/roommate will be there all week, I have suggested perhaps purchasing an inflatable bed for the living room rather than renting two beds depending on the cost differential. Anyway, I'm not sure they are getting that there will be NOTHING in the apartment. We will fly out to visit before the internship starts and help him get situated. I am trying to come up with a list of bare bones necessities. I can't imagine they will do much cooking, but I'd like for them to have a few kitchen items to minimize eating out ALL the time, which I fear would mitigate any savings they are getting by going this route. Likely anything will be pitched at the end of the summer (except maybe the inflatable bed/mattress). Can y'all help me brainstorm a list of necessities?

When my oldest interned in Silicon Valley a couple of years ago, she and her three roommates could not find a furnished apartment anywhere. Finally, the mom of one of the roommates found a furniture rental company and rented an unfinished apartment at one of the complexes that turned them down for a furnished apartment. They rented everything. The furniture rental company had packages avaiable for different rooms, bedroom, kitchen, den, bathroom. So, you could ask to see what is included in the different packages, to see if you see if there is anything that would be important to your son. Then, buy whatever he needs while you are out there.

We use the XL twin sheets on our regular twin beds at home and at beds at camp. Even though these beds are smaller, there has never been a problem with the longer sheets. So, he should be okay bringing his from college. He could do the same with towels, bath mat, shower curtain, blanket, etc. He could even bring any small kitchen items or appliances (coffee maker) that he has at college.

It might be cheaper to ship him a small box of the little stuff, like silverware, can opener, dish cloths, etc., if you have extra of that kind of stuff around your house, than buying it all new.

If you are checking suitcases for your vacation, you could bring some of these items to him in your suitcase. Some could be brought in a carry on suitcase.

Not sure why this decision was made instead. It's his $, and he is pretty frugal. Though it seems crazy expensive to me. Not used to big city prices. Hoping he made a good choice.

It drove my frugal kid crazy, and it wasn't even her money as they all received a housing allowance. However, it was the only way to find an apartment. They had started looking on craigslist for people renting rooms in their houses. She did suggest not getting the kitchen/dishes package, because she knew they could easily buy a set of dishes, glasses, silverware for less than it cost to rent the package for one month, much less three. She also thought it would be easy to find an organization to donate them to after the summer. However, no one really wanted to deviate from the plan. It all worked out; they all had a great summer.

Does the apartment have a fridge?

What about internet? I remember that being an issue that was discussed, but I don't remember how it was solved. I can find out what they did if you like. They did not have a TV.

Enjoy your vacation. I was able to visit her for a long weekend, and we went to Yosemite. She went back the next year, and one of my other kids and I visited for a four-day weekend. We drove down the coast to Monterey and other scenic spots. On Monday, the sibling and I walked/biked the Golden Gate bridge.

• Like 2

Thanks, *LC. His internship is not in Silicon Valley. But, we do plan to do some sightseeing where we are visiting! Not all work for sure!

Yes the apartment has a fridge. I cant remember if internet service is provided in the rent. I believe it is. I think they only have to set up electric.

I'm sure whatever they do on furniture rental, it will be "less is more." Really, if they'd do all these suggestion (inflatable mattresses, card table, chairs in bags, etc) they probably wouldn't have to rent anything.

Edited by Hoggirl
  • Like 1